Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone keeps sayin you can't drop a 4matic. That can't be possible cause i've come across a set of eibach's for a 4-matic. Has anyone dropped their 4matic?????

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Brabus also Make springs for the 4matic
The Fronts are Special because the front axles go through the springs...

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
possible, but why? it will never be as fast or looks as good with staggered wheels as a RWD.

you can do a stagerred setup on the 4Matic though.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Be cautious, dropping a Benz can be a quick way to slice 20% off the value.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic (mine) | 2004 CL600 (mom's)
21 Posts
sorry for digging up something old...

So anyone bought these Brabus 4Matic lowering springs? I've been looking high and low so that I may lower my car. The gap is hideous. Can anyone point me in right direction so that I may buy a set? I'm sure that I'm not the only one that wants to lower their 4Matic.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, qhaffar. Please take a minute to fill out your user information via the "User CP" link. Your location is especially helpful.

Digging up something old is fine, but you only need to respond to one thread. Please choose the one that you want, and delete the two duplicate posts before someone else has to do it.

I'm sorry that I don't have any information about lowering springs, but my RWD rides at just the right height. I know that the 4matic does ride higher.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
First

who above said you could stagger a 4matic,you can't-- different traction from staggered set up will throw the 4matic into fits.Change the pads to the #1 and that will drop it a bit.Custom coil overs is about the only set up that I have seen.Cha ching:D
ohlord:bowdown:
if you did find springs how would you compensate for the shorter travel on the special 4matic shocks?They would bottom out.
might have a solution
Mercedes
or find a euro spec E55 4matic I think they made them in europe market in 99.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, ghaffar. Add my welcome also. FWIW I already deleted your duplicate posts.
What you are trying to do is a bit like making a silk purse out of a silk handkerchief: they are both made from the same stuff but there's just not enough to work with. ;) Or at the least it is going to cost you a bundle. I seem to recall reading somewhere that even the Brabus springs only drop it an inch and that it is much pricier than the 2wd models.

And while it is possible to run a staggered setup on the 4matic, it is very important to work with a trusted vendor to ensure a proper match...lest expensive troubles ensue.

In the end it is probably cheaper to sell the 4matic and buy a 2wd to mod as you like...and a beater Subaru to drive when it snows. :rolleyes:

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 E430 4M (SOLD) 2002 Jetta TDI 5MT Stage 2 tuned
238 Posts
anyway

For those of us NOT selling our 4matics, does anyone else have any first hand experience with 4matic suspension upgrades? Who are some members (U.S. members if possible) who have done it already? What vendors did you use/trust ? What surprises popped up?

I have a fairly annoying clunkity-clunk noise coming from my driver side front suspension area every time I drive over uneven pavement. I can feel a vibration through the floor with my left foot while my right foot does the driving. Dealer mechanic said my ball joint was very slightly loose, but not serious. I'm thinking I should get new ball joints and new shocks in the front at least, new bushings and alignment. There's a grand out the door...

Seasoned board members here, please link us to what you know...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that even the Brabus springs only drop it an inch and that it is much pricier than the 2wd models.
Greg
I called Anthony at Brabus USA and they have since discontinued the lowering springs for 4Matics. I contacted Ken at Lorinser USA, and he said that he'll get back to me early next week. What's even better he said that if he needed a minimum order, he'll let me know and perhaps we can work from there, perhaps a group buy. I hope to hear some good news next week!

I'd love to trade my 4WD and have a 2WD and another 4WD, but just don't have the parking space. There was a member that I was talking to on here (Miles O'Waye) and they have a set of Brabus springs on their 4Matic. He lowered it with AMG 18's, the same 18's on a 2004 or so E55. It looked much better.

Here's a picture of Miles O'Waye's setup Again, if we have to do a group buy, I will let everyone here on benzworld.org and mbworld.org know. Otherwise, life will go on with the 4x4 look...

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL / 1991 300te 4matic / 2000 e320 4matic wagon
363 Posts
In some ways i like the extra height of the 4matic.
-It is easier to get in and out of.
-It has this sorta stance similar to the new subaru wagons like "ya, I stick to the pavement and I'm not afraid of the rough stuff."
-If you are in a situation where you really need the AWD, then you also want the extra ground clearance.
-If you want better handling i would recommend wider wheels on 17's.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4M (SOLD) 2002 Jetta TDI 5MT Stage 2 tuned
238 Posts
I agree... As my daily driver, I can't deal with steep parking lots and speed bumps and potentially scraping my undercarriage. So I'm going to leave my springs and ride height alone.

BUT...

My car is 8 years old, I would like it to feel like it did from the factory. I can tell my shocks are not 100% dead, nor are they as good as they should be. i would like my shocks replaced, rubber bushings replaced, everything in the front suspension to feel like new...

So basically, where's the best place to buy 4matic suspension parts?

Recommendations on shocks? Bilstein HD or Sport ? Sachs ? Anyone put coilovers on their E 4matic ?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
4matic

go oe.
www. autohausaz.com
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree... As my daily driver, I can't deal with steep parking lots and speed bumps and potentially scraping my undercarriage. So I'm going to leave my springs and ride height alone.
These are all very true statements, however, if I can get the fender gap down by 1" to 1.5", then I'll be happy. I measured the gap to be around 3", and putting those springs and shocks would put it at OEM 2WD spec. I don't think there would be too much of a problem. To lower the 4Matic, I'm learning that it's more than sport springs. I still have to find the shocks that will properly fit the front suspension. I've contacted Lorinser USA and I won't buy any suspension upgrades unless I can find the complete package. I don't want to half-way do it; it's either all or none. Again, I don't want to have it 'slammed'. I just want a conservative drop .

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
To lower the 4Matic, I'm learning that it's more than sport springs. I still have to find the shocks that will properly fit the front suspension. I've contacted Lorinser USA and I won't buy any suspension upgrades unless I can find the complete package. I don't want to half-way do it; it's either all or none. Again, I don't want to have it 'slammed'. I just want a conservative drop .
Hey, ghaffar. That isn't just the 4-matic, if you put lowering springs into the "2matic" you should also replace with shorter "sport" shocks. Primarily it has to do with the variable valving in the shocks, you drop it you set the "default" point in the shock at the wrong point.

Glad to see you're focusing on the whole package, you're correct: if you're going to do it, do it right. :thumbsup:

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have received contact from Ken at Lorinser USA and they DO have the lowering springs for 4Matic. However, they only have the springs, not the shocks. I asked him about a picture of the springs and if I had to modify the front suspension. Apparently, the front suspension on a Euro-spec 4Matic is different than a US-spec 4Matic; hence, the modification.

For those that aren't familiar with the springs on a 4Matic, I've attached a picture. The front is a little shorter to accomodate the front axle via a bracket. The fact still remains: no shorter front shocks. Second picture attached is a set of Brabus 30mm lowering springs for 4Matic. The modification comes in when trying to keep the spring perched on that grey platform at the bottom of the spring in between the bracket and spring.

I'm a bit befuddled as to how to resolve this problem. I'll know tomorrow as to whether or not I want to drop the money on this set of springs. Will update as needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I have received contact from Ken at Lorinser USA and they DO have the lowering springs for 4Matic. However, they only have the springs, not the shocks. I asked him about a picture of the springs and if I had to modify the front suspension. Apparently, the front suspension on a Euro-spec 4Matic is different than a US-spec 4Matic; hence, the modification.

For those that aren't familiar with the springs on a 4Matic, I've attached a picture. The front is a little shorter to accomodate the front axle via a bracket. The fact still remains: no shorter front shocks. Second picture attached is a set of Brabus 30mm lowering springs for 4Matic. The modification comes in when trying to keep the spring perched on that grey platform at the bottom of the spring in between the bracket and spring.

I'm a bit befuddled as to how to resolve this problem. I'll know tomorrow as to whether or not I want to drop the money on this set of springs. Will update as needed.
How much is the claimed drop? As you approach and exceed 2" you need shocks, but if it's closer to 1 then you can probably get away with it. If it's 1.5 you could up your pad a bit to bring it down. Question is whether that is enough drop for you given the cost and effort, and only you know that. ;)

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
For both Lorinser and Brabus springs, they're both 30mm. When it's all said and done with, the total drop with #1 pads should be around 1.5" or so. I want to still have the clearance for winter, but at the same time, I want to close up that 3" gap that I have.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
For both Lorinser and Brabus springs, they're both 30mm. When it's all said and done with, the total drop with #1 pads should be around 1.5" or so. I want to still have the clearance for winter, but at the same time, I want to close up that 3" gap that I have.
are you sure only 1.5 drop?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts