1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys !
Here the story ..just happened 20 min ago
I was driving on highway like 50 mph and I passed a old Chevy Malibu sixth gen ..
Then I want to take off on exit and suddenly Malibe cut my traffic ... I wasn't aware of it .. I was kind of relaxing .. and this makes me a nervous.... then after he got off highway and I followed behind him .. we both turn on the street which goes up hill ..not much steep actually... so after we both take that street ... I was behind him , and we were drinving like 40 mph steady. and street on the beginning had one line but after like 200 yards it would split in two lines ... so Malibu after riched the point of two lines was remain in one line ... I I decided " ok now I am going past him ..." I really want to make my way ahead of him... so I slightly step on gas pedal ... after I start to close the gap with him .. distance was about 40 ft between him and me ... after that I noticed that Malibu start increasing distance again... and now I got it that he noticed me .... I slam further my ped was l a little ... and after a moment hi slam his pedal because his car was starting go away from me ... distance was about the same ... and then I slammed my pedal to the floor ... and thought that I am going to pass him real fast ... But hmm no no ... my car after 10 -15 sec couldn't cacht him and the distance was the same.. he go as fast as me .. for a moment I thought that he going away from me ...I was surprised I didnt expect this ...but only later like 5 sec I begin to close the distance..... and later after few sec I I past him .. I haven't look at my speedometer..but probably speed was in xxx numbers ...
So I was a little disappointed with my car ... it didnt win below 90 mph only later....
Is something wrong with the car ? What is acceleration of 01 E430 4matic?
And this Malibu had V6 sign on the back !
And do cars losing performance over the years and mileage?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,258 Posts
2001 E430 weight = 3800-ish lb, and that's a regular E430. 4matic add 100lb.
2012 Malibu V6 = 3400-ish lb.

E430 ~ 275hp
Malibu V6 ~ 260hp

E430 RWD = 6.2 0-60
Malibu = 6.5 0-60

Not a surprise at all.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,884 Posts
Also what is engine size of Malibu? Old "there is no replacement for displacement" rule might apply to climbing the hill.
Just becouse his was V6 doesn't mean engine had to be smaller.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if car with 3.5 liters makes 380 horses and car with 5.5 litres output 220 horses..does it means the car with bigger displacement will win the uphill ????

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought that it does not matter what us displacement... it more important how much horses it makes and torq!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,884 Posts
I always thought that it does not matter what us displacement... it more important how much horses it makes and torq!
that's totally wrong.
I just bought huge Sprinter van, who is propelled by I4 engine rated at 161 HP.
Thanks to diesel torque, that thing moves in street traffic and can climb steep mountains at 60 mph.
But even with diesel displacement plays role. I used to have 7.3l diesel truck with manual. Manual shifter was hard to get used to it, so for some time I was starting on 3rd gear. Not a problem at all.
Don't try that with gasoline engine. That truck had low gear, what would pull 3 tons retaining wall on idle.
Small displacement, gasoline engines need to scramble 5000 rpm to make HP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts