Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bottom 2 cats are gone and i am looking putting in universal for 200 each...would it better to change the entire units which possibly a 1000 job....

·
Registered
668 Posts
From previous posts...

I think you are talking over $1K per side to replace the assemblies with OE cats and connecting pipes...

Replace the lower ones, which are the easy ones to swap out, and move on.

BTW, you didn't indicate the mileage/KMs on the car, or any causative factors leading to the failure. This information can be helpful when asking for advice.

JR

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you are talking over $1K per side to replace the assemblies with OE cats and connecting pipes...

Replace the lower ones, which are the easy ones to swap out, and move on.

BTW, you didn't indicate the mileage/KMs on the car, or any causative factors leading to the failure. This information can be helpful when asking for advice.

JR
That's what I did on mine...replaced the lower two cats for $500. Everything works great. MB dealership wanted $3200 for complete OEM assemblies.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unforunately it is out of warranty and the dec systems are not available in canada....

things are expensive upnorth....

magnafloww 53005 installed is 500.00 but the exhaust guy is saying it may be the pre cats that are damaged and would need to to be removed

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hey, inderbir.

Just from hanging out here on the forums I'd simply replace the main cats. I've yet to hear anyone report an issue with the primary cats, but at some point seems everyone is doing the secondary/main ones.

That said, if you're at or over the equivalent of 100,000 miles do all four of the O2 sensors. That's their replacement interval and if they're acting up they will cook the cats prematurely.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why not delete the secondary cats and retain the primary cats (if the primaries are still good)? This wouldn't cost more then 100 bucks. The o2 sensors are in front of the secondary so removing them will not throw any CEL's. I understand this may be illegal in your area so that is something to consider. All the posts I have read say that the car will still pass the "sniff" test with only the primary cats but it would obviously fail a visual inspection by a knowledgeable observer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replaced the 2 bottom cats with magnaflow part no 53005...no more noise, no rattling, no codes,, temp has dropped hopefully mpg will get back to normal

cost 159 for parts and 150 for labour.....no loss of ground clearance......thank you all for your help, much respected

1 - 8 of 8 Posts