Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210 E320 4matic Wagon/2016 S212 E400 4matic wagon
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 90K miles. I've done front shocks and springs (old springs were fine), outer tie rods and front ball joints (getting a theme here?).

We're about to leave on cross country trip. What should I bring along as a spare to insure it won't break on the trip?

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic
23 Posts
Some items I've had issues with that might be helpful:

make sure the spare tire is in good shape and the lug bolts on the wheels are ok. I recently experienced a frozen bolt and could not get the wheel off. Can of fix-a-flat would be useful.

secondary/spare key -- In case it's dropped and the front cracks you can still start the car with the spare.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Change the Air Filter if old with MANN filter, have an extra serpentine belt if yours is old, check air in the tires and spare tire, a set of basic tools, few various fuses and a have a nice trip.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
How are the idler pulley and tensioner? If you haven't changed it before, you might consider carrying a crank sensor and brake light switch along, they aren't very expensive and they are small and easy to change. One member was out of town when his CPS died so he took it to an MB dealer...and nearly $600 later, he was back on the road. Um, yikes. ;)

Have a safe and fun trip!

·
Registered
2001 New to me, E320 Wagon
126 Posts
Keep an eye

On your tires. Check air pressure and change your filters if you have not done so already. Basic tools and a belt, like mentioned before.
If you make it to Florida, cafe con leche is on me!

Enjoy your time!:bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
CPS if its original (should have spare in glove compartment all the time) and MAF.
If one of those breaks somewhere in Nebraska, or Wyoming, you will face 800 miles tow or 10 days wait for the part.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
CPS if its original (should have spare in glove compartment all the time) and MAF.
If one of those breaks somewhere in Nebraska, or Wyoming, you will face 800 miles tow or 10 days wait for the part.
Well, he could always pay autohausaz.com to overnight it, that would still be cheaper than any dealer. Of course that assumes he has the tools along.

I replaced my CPS before it failed, albeit for different reasons. But I didn't mind because it avoided the potential issue of being stranded. The old one is in a baggie in the trunk, just in case. ;) It's next to the baggie with the new brake light switch, and both of those are in a box with a green thingie and a bunch of bulbs.

Oh, OP: One other potential thing to have along would be a funoodle (the pool float foam thing). If you have a window regulator failure you can pop the panel off, pull up the window and have someone hold it while you cram the funoodle into the door. That will hold up the window securely and no would-be thief will be able to push the glass down, and that way you can fix it on the cheap when you get back home.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks for the responses. Another question: I forgot to mention that I replaced a clogged cat on one side. Does that necessarily mean the other is all but done? Would I be able to see any evidence from the OBD, reading say O2 sensor readings and response?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
OK, thanks for the responses. Another question: I forgot to mention that I replaced a clogged cat on one side. Does that necessarily mean the other is all but done? Would I be able to see any evidence from the OBD, reading say O2 sensor readings and response?
The OE cats are a crapshoot. The other one might last a long time and it might start rattling tomorrow. So long as it's quiet, I'd not worry unduly about it.

There's no real test you could perform; the O2 sensors wouldn't pick it up until it was pretty bad, though you could have a backpressure test performed if you wanted. Again, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks again. I'm looking at engine sensors, and I see crank sensor, but no cam sensor. That right?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
OK, thanks again. I'm looking at engine sensors, and I see crank sensor, but no cam sensor. That right?
There is a cam sensor (sometimes called a reference mark sensor), it's mounted up near the front of the Bank 1 head, but it rarely fails. Really rarely.

The trick if you want to order a crank sensor is there are two, one with two clip-locks, one with one. They are not interchangeable, and while they are tied to the engine number (supposedly) you have to get right back there to get to the engine number. So my recommendation would be to raise the hood vertical, remove the engine cover, and then reach your hand back in there and disconnect the crank sensor. Then you can see right away whether you need the single or double clip. If you need more details on getting to it, check the stickies. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts