Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W203 C320, w204 c350 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to the US in a couple of weeks and since I've been having problems locating a headlight switch down here I was thinking of buying it there.

The only problem is that I can't find a part number anywhere, I have googled and searched this forums but no luck.

Does anyone know the part number for the headlight switch (panel)? It's for a '01 c320 with factory xenon, headlamp washers and electric folding mirrors.

Thanks in advance!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
You'll need to go to a dealer and have them verify the part based on your car's options and color. I see there are over 20 different parts, based on RH/LH drive, Xenon/Halogen, washer or not, folding or not, US-spec or not, plus color. I can tell you that US dealers will only be allowed to order US-spec parts. Since yours is LH drive like US, this might not matter, but then again, there could be "something else" that does matter.

Parts.com lists this at $290 ($404 retail)(see here) They will verify and guarantee the right part by VIN, but I am not sure if they will ship to Canada.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the US spec won't have the headlight aim adjusting feature that may standard on the euro part. US regs don't allow adjustable lights. not sure which one canada uses.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
That's bizarre. We had a Nissan Murano with a manual headlight adjuster to be used to lower the level of the bi-xenon headlights when the rear was loaded down. There are so many things that MBZ quotes as not available in the US due to DOT regs, but then other makes have them. Another that comes to mind is the built-in foglights int he W163 ML. They were disabled on US models because, according to MBUSA, they were too high for DOT regs. But then the fog lights on a Hummer sat a foot above the ML's, so what's up?

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W203 C320, w204 c350 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Euro cars equipped with factory xenon have auto leveling lights too because of regulations. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the US rules may have changed about having headlights adjustable by the driver (up/down to adjust to load in trunk as you say). in Europe I believe it is required; even cheap rental cars have this feature.

the US used to require the awful "sealed beam" lights (where you couldn't just replace the bulb, you had a replace the whole sealed headlight unit). but they don't any longer. maybe they allowed aiming at the same time they loosened that up.

That's bizarre. We had a Nissan Murano with a manual headlight adjuster to be used to lower the level of the bi-xenon headlights when the rear was loaded down. There are so many things that MBZ quotes as not available in the US due to DOT regs, but then other makes have them. Another that comes to mind is the built-in foglights int he W163 ML. They were disabled on US models because, according to MBUSA, they were too high for DOT regs. But then the fog lights on a Hummer sat a foot above the ML's, so what's up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts