Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes C240
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side seat won't move, i can't adjust the seat, and it is really uncomfortable for my passengers, and they usually just sit in the back. Is there anyway i can manually adjust the seat, because i can't find where the motor is, and i am not under warranty.

If anyone could tell me where the motor is, and how to disassemble so i can get a new one, if it is not possible to manually adjust the seat, that would be great. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2001 C180 2.0L
10 Posts
easy fix (new wire and fuse)

Hi

I had the same problem in mine...
First check if the fuse for the passenger seat is blown! The fuse box is in the trunk left side. I belive it is the second fuse from the top but check the fuse diagram. If the fuse is blown then you probably had the same problem as me...
The problem is not the seat motor but a short circut in the seat. I took my seat out of the car (only 10 minutes) and found a bad wire going from a power hub that supplies power to seat and back support. The wire going to the back support was the one! (make sure you disconnct all wire underneath the seat before staring)

The biggest problem is taking out the plasic cover on the side of the seat. Be carefull when you pull out the round nob seat adjuster. Just pull stright from both sides. I ordered a new wire from MB (to fix it right) but I got a wire for a door? So I fixed iy myself with a new wire and electrical connectors.

Hope this help!

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes C240
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked the fuse and it was good, unless i am checking the wrong one. Where is the fuse diagram, i can't find one.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes C240
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the 2nd one is for the drivers side, and the first one is for the passenger side. So, there is definitely a short circuit, i tried a new fuse for the passenger side, and it blew out.

How did you find which wire was bad? And do i have to remove the whole seat?

·
Registered
2001 C180 2.0L
10 Posts
trial and error

Hi,

I am no expert so there might be someone out there laughing at my approach but it worked. There is two ways of doing it I guess
1) check all wires in the seat with a volt meter or
2) buy 10 fuses and do it step by step like I did:
First disconnect the power plug underneath the seat. If the fuse does not blow anymore then it is the seat. If it does then it must be the wire from the fuse box to the seat.
If we assume for now that the short circuit is in the seat when pull the seat out disconnect the plastic cover on the side. On the small connection box on the lower side of the chair. Pull out the wire going to both motors and connect the main power to the seat again. If the fuse does not blow, plug back one of the wires to either the seat or the back support. If it does not blow the fuse try the other one.

This way you might be using a lot of fuses but they are cheap and easy to replace. But you can narrow it down quite easily.

·
Registered
2003 C240 4MATIC
5 Posts
Hi

I had the same problem in mine...
First check if the fuse for the passenger seat is blown! The fuse box is in the trunk left side. I belive it is the second fuse from the top but check the fuse diagram. If the fuse is blown then you probably had the same problem as me...
The problem is not the seat motor but a short circut in the seat. I took my seat out of the car (only 10 minutes) and found a bad wire going from a power hub that supplies power to seat and back support. The wire going to the back support was the one! (make sure you disconnct all wire underneath the seat before staring)

The biggest problem is taking out the plasic cover on the side of the seat. Be carefull when you pull out the round nob seat adjuster. Just pull stright from both sides. I ordered a new wire from MB (to fix it right) but I got a wire for a door? So I fixed iy myself with a new wire and electrical connectors.

Hope this help!
This might be really help, because my 03' C240 has the same problem! The driver's seat just won't move, and no matter how many fuses I plug in, it just burns off. So I guess there is a short in the circuit.

·
Registered
01 C240 AT
270 Posts
There are 2 ways to adjust seat manually and they are not easy.
1.Disconnect connector under seat and apply voltage to connector using jumper wires and starting cables. You need to have electrical diagram and know which wires.
2.Second is to apply voltage directly to right motor.
Some motors have position sensors, so if you apply voltage to wrong pins, you'll burn sensor.
I never dealt with Mercedes seats, but I'll have to, because I have the same pass. seat problem and my wife is not happy about it!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts