Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The cooling fan on my 2001 C200 runs all the time (as long as the engine is on), and after having the car for a couple of months, I'm tired of listening of the noise it makes. Engine temp. look's fine, and I haven't experienced any problems with it's performance.
When the engine is cold, the idle is a bit unstable. Bought a OBD-diagnostics tool to day (bluetooth communication :) ) to read out the fault code, and this is what it came up with:

P0101 - Powertrain
Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance problem

P2020 - Powertrain
Intake Manf Runner Position Sensor/Switch circuit Range/Performance Bank2

I've tried looking around the forum to see if there all ready is an obvious answere to the fault code, but can't find anything related to the cooling fan.

..Yeah, and one more thing. I have two keys to the car; one to open it up with, and the other one to drive with. The one which works to open the car with, does not turn in the keyhole and vice versa. I've checked the batteries.

Any suggestions?

Greetings from Norway
:)

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
Those errors don't have anything to do with the fan. The fan has it's own integrated controller so you'll have to replace the whole assembly. The P0101 is usually a symptom of a bad MAF sensor. The P2020 indicates a problem with the tumble flaps in the variable-length intake manifold. Sometimes it can be fixed without disassembling the manifold, but most of the time it requires disassembly and parts replacement.

As for the keys, the battery in the fob has nothing to do with starting. If you have a key that isn't accepted in the ignition switch, there is nothing that can be done about - for some reason, DAS has simply decided to invalidate that key. For the key where the RCL buttons don't work, are you sure you have a good battery in it? That's the most common problem. Make sure the contacts aren't broken. It may be time to order a new key if that won't solve it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, rudeney. I solved the problem with the keys. Low batt. on one of the keys (thought i had changed on both keys, but no..) :)

As for the fan, the whole assembly is very expensive(over $1000) , at least here in Norway. :(

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
Yep, the fan isn't cheap here, either - it's about $700 retail ($500 at parts.com).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I disconnected/reconnected the main battery on the car yesterday, and the fan stopped! Weeeee. Oldest trick in the book..
But I've got another problem. I pulled out a relay while the ignition was off, and connected it again, and now I got this faults: "ABS fault, EPS fault, brake assist. fault". Neither of the faults are "true", everything works. Have cleared the errors from the ECU, but they did'nt come up there.

·
19,463 Posts
Start the engine, then while in park, turn your steering wheel fully left-right-left. Shutdown the engine and restart - you should be good to go. This resets the steering angle sensor when power is removed from the ESP system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts