Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 500 SEC & 00 ML 320
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK So as I said in the title 2000 ML320 177,000 miles had it since new and this forum has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars over the years by having the information figured out even before I have the issue. I have seen threads that have no start issues but this intermittent shutting off while at a full stop I have not found. So here is what is happening

Three weeks ago I got in to go somewhere and it would not start. I thought maybe the wife did not get it fully into part so I moved the gear down to neutral than back into park and it fired right up no problem.

Two weeks ago I get in no start, I try the gear thing no joy. Tried starting several times nothing. I then remember that within a couple of months of buying the ML back in 00 that it failed to start we called MBUSA they said to try alternate key and that I needed to bring it in for service even if it worked with the alternate key. (They replaced the steering column and keys all under warranty at the time of course) So I tried alternate key and it fired right up.

Several days later my wife was out with a truck full of kids in a busy intersection stopped at a light and it just shut off and would not re start for her. The car was pulled into a gas station to get it out of one of the busiest turn lanes. When I got free I went up with her and when I tried it started just fine and got me home with no issues.

I started doing some research on here and saw something about see if it has a start error when failing to start and of course the truck worked great for several days since none of the driving I was doing would have been terribly inconvenienced by an issue it decided to wait until I was downtown in the middle of LOTS of traffic at a light and bam down it went. No start error BTW

We pushed it to the side of the road after several attempts to re start and as soon as we got to the side of the road and got back in it started right away. (I was carrying both keys at this point in case the change keys trick worked it did not)

I was on my way out of town at the time but I decided I could risk it since it had not done it twice in one day yet (idiot I know) It did get me all the way there and all the way back, but once back in town not thinking about the issues I stopped at Walmart to replace a dead router. When I came out of the car it would not start again this time it took about 20 minutes and then fired right back up. My wife decided to take the car again the next day to run a quick errand and since she was in a hurry it happened again, this time after several tries she remembered that when I moved it the truck started so she opened the door put it in neutral and rolled it an inch and ta-dah it started. I have no idea if that’s a clue or would work every time or was just a complete coincidence.

I have now been to auto zone to have the codes run. and here is what they have

Bank One:
Fuel Trim Bank One
Oxygen Sensor Defective
Ignition Misfire-Repair
Fuel Injector Problem

Bank Two:
Fuel trim bank two
Failed H02S21 Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 sensor 1
Ignition Misfire condition
Fuel Injector Problem
Engine Mechanical Condition.

Now I replaced the MAF a couple of years ago and that could explain the fuel trim, fuel injector and maybe the misfire condition. I know I need to replace the H02S21 sensor not sure which one on bank 1 to replace maybe just do all of them. Are they all the same? Any ideas? I believe the fuel trim errors had been there from a water in the gas line issue that was dealt with but the codes were not cleared. So they may have nothing to do with it but again maybe they do. Anyone have this set of issues?

·
Registered
85 500 SEC & 00 ML 320
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing not sure if this is related. The BAS/ESP and EST lights have come on and gone off several times leading up to this. The new sensor arrived today the only reason I bring it up is that I cant recall if those lights came on right before and maybe even during. I was focused on seeing if there was a start error

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The most common cause on your engine type is the crankshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
85 500 SEC & 00 ML 320
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my knowledge we have not replaced the cps unless it was done under warranty and of course that ran out a while ago.

Could that cause those codes. I was planning on ordering two O2 sensors but if thats a faulty code I wont

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,601 Posts
Several days later my wife was out with a truck full of kids in a busy intersection stopped at a light and it just shut off and would not re start for her. The car was pulled into a gas station to get it out of one of the busiest turn lanes. When I got free I went up with her and when I tried it started just fine and got me home with no issues.
This is typical presentation of CPS failure.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Order in a correct Bosch brand CPS - the retail auto parts store's non-brand have been infamous for continued trouble, not any good.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,144 Posts
+1 on going Bosch only with the CPS.
It is not much more than what an off brand would cost.

·
Registered
85 500 SEC & 00 ML 320
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the Bosch cps is here I will put it in tomorrow hopefully its the issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts