Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at both BMWs and Benz's for a while and am ready to buy. I have found a 2000 C280 sport with only 28k miles for what seems like a really low price - has all books and maint. records.

How is the dependability and longevity of a C280? I had been looking at the E class and not even considering a C class, but the miles and price certainly get my attention on this one. The other car I am comparing to is a '98 BMW 528i (with only 52k miles). The C280 is about a grand less than the 528.

I am looking for something that is fun to drive, but pretty reliable and something I will not have to have in the shop for service every month or two. I certainly understand the importance of the scheduled maintenance items, but beyond that I'm looking for something that will just run without all that much attention. I have 3 kids and shuttle them around to all sorts of things - so my 2 door convertible has outgrown them over the past 5 years and now is really too small to put everyone in it.

Any thoughts or experiences with the C280 are appreciated. After driving BMWs and Mercedes, I think I am leaning more toward the Mercedes as I like the way they drive better.

Thanks again for your feedback -

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
Funny you mention this today. If the '98 528i I saw this evening is a good example, I would take the C280 Sport in a hearbeat. The '98 528i was showing substantial rust bubbling under the of the trunk and rear quarter. I have yet to see a W202 in as bad condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Anyone else with any thoughts on the C280 Sport - like maintenance issues, things to watch for, dependability, etc. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both a 2000 BMW 528i (sport) and a 2000 C230Kompressor. I prefer the BMW hands down. Its bigger, has a better "road presence" and just feels better IMHO. The two however arent really in the same "class" as eachother. This is the "entry" Benz vs. the "Midline" BMW.

The C230K is a nice little car, quite peppy as well, the wifey loves it. It is the same body style as the C280 I believe, just different powertrains.

As far as maintainence goes they are both equally expensive when they break. So far all I have done is scheduled maintainence on the C230K, the 528i has had scheduled maint. + the VANOS had to be replaced a month ago (under CPO warranty, whew!).

Both are extremely well buit machines, bottom line I believe is drive the hell out of as many as you can at the dealerships before you decide what fits under your bottom best.

Im sure you will be happy with your decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts