Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if AMG changed anything with regards to the performance of the engine/ECU programing etc.. of E55's from 1999, 2000, 2001? The reason is that I see many publications show different performance figures and they vary from model year to model year.<p>I know that each car publication tests differently but I usually like to compare figures within each magazine.<br>That way, I thought that it would be more an apples to apples comparison. <p>It seems to me that the performance figures for early year cars (1999) are faster/better that those of later model cars (2001).<p>Since I have a 2001 E55, obviously I'd like to know if AMG - Mercedes, has changed anything.<p>Does anyone know??<p>I guess one way would be to go out and test my car's performance figures but where do I go to do that??<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: Does anyone know if AMG changed anything with regards to the performance of the engine/ECU programing etc.. of E55's from 1999, 2000, 2001? The reason is that I see many publications show different performance figures and they vary from model year to model year.<p>I know that each car publication tests differently but I usually like to compare figures within each magazine.<br>That way, I thought that it would be more an apples to apples comparison. <p>It seems to me that the performance figures for early year cars (1999) are faster/better that those of later model cars (2001).<p>Since I have a 2001 E55, obviously I'd like to know if AMG - Mercedes, has changed anything.<p>Does anyone know??<p>I guess one way would be to go out and test my car's performance figures but where do I go to do that??<p><p>The conditions (temp, humidity, surface) are different for the tests and give the variable results. In every test with an M5, the E55 is a tick slower. You see the same variability with the M5.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish there were

But I don't think that there are any differences. If anything its probably minor due to weight and tuning. I have a '99 so it would be great if it was true. <p>However, when I purchased my '93 RX7tt R1 I found out it was faster than the later models because they de-tuned it for reliability reasons. In this case, it was not a significant difference in performance, but it was significant in cost of ownership.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edmond:<br>It seems as though the newer models with "Touch Shift" are a few tenths of a second slower. The 1999 transmissions are more condusive towards performance driving. However, we have tested several 99's that were in the 5 sec/14 sec range and several 00's that have been in the upper 4's and low to mid 13 range. It all depends on the particular car.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob,<p>Thanks for the reply. Do you work for Road and Track/European Car or something like that?? I think R & T is in Newport. <p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts