Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz SLK 230, 2001 model, black
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a wining sound from my supercharger since the day I bought the car, please see http://www.*************/slk-r170-general-discussion/20813-winning-sound-compressor-supercharger.html

This week I did a acceleration-test. Most of the times it took around 10 sec (should be 7.2 sec) to reach 100km/h. Managed once to bring it down to 8 sec but it seems that something is wrong with my supercharger (should perhaps not be named "super" at this moment because nothing is "super" with the acceleration....:()

Do I have a vaccumleak somewere because I have a strong noise from the actuator (wrong spelling?) on the supercharger with the key in pos 2, please see above link.

Could someone point me to some helpful direction how to fix this....:bowdown:

The car is a 2001 year model (slk 230) = M45 supercharger.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
see if the supercharger is making boost? hook up a boost gauge temporarily via a T peice to the fuel pressure regulator. it should read 6-7psi on a stock SLK.

also scan the car for error codes... the supercharger is always on (the m45) as there is no clutch, but the bypass valve may not be shutting letting boost come out. check the cable to it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Suspecting something like that Subby.

Making it easy for myself and asking instead of searching,
Where is the fuel pressure regulator and the cable to the bypass valve located?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
ah the 2001 model slk does not use a fuel pressure regulator in its system from memory..

you will have to find a vac line somewhere on the intake manifold to tee into to get a reading

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hi did ya get to the bottom of the problem ,i got similar symptoms
Not yet, I cleaned the MAF, checked the oil-separator, checked the bypass airflap valve if it´s clean from oil (Yes it is but still having the strange wining sound from it).

I found that my cam shaft mag is leaking oil. Haven´t replaced it yet and I´m not sure if this causes the slow acc. Don´t know if Mercedes will replace it on "good-will"-basis or it will be me at the end paying for the part. When I´ve replaced it I´ll test the car but for the moment it´s winter where I live so the car is in the garage waiting for the spring to come.

Don´t know how to hook up and measure the pressure into the supercharger. The airflap in the bypass valva is moving when the car is standing still and I´m reving it but not sure how to check if it´s closes complete when the car is moving and the charger needs to built up full pressure.

Also not sure what kind of sound I should hear when the charger is engaged.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport 5-Speed Manual, Silver, Subtle Red on Black Interior
116 Posts
I found that my cam shaft mag is leaking oil. Haven´t replaced it yet and I´m not sure if this causes the slow acc. Don´t know if Mercedes will replace it on "good-will"-basis or it will be me at the end paying for the part. When I´ve replaced it I´ll test the car but for the moment it´s winter where I live so the car is in the garage waiting for the spring to come.
Regarding the cam shaft mag leaking, for the post-facelift models there is a recall that you should be eligible for, I would recommend calling the national MB customer service number with your VIN and verifying eligibility, then taking to the dealer now so it is fixed for the spring!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1518295-cam-plugs-recall.html#post4131562

The leaking cam magnet should not be related to the topic of this thread, but the engine oil can wick up the wiring harness and the damage the main ECU computer, causing many hard to pinpoint problems and the ECU is ultra-expensive to replace. I have a pre-facelift that isn't eligible for the free recall replacement of the cam magnet and wiring harness (we pre-facelifts have been slighted!) so can't speak to it beyond referring you to the thread above. I had to replace my own leaking cam magnet per member's instructions on this forum and fortunately the oil had not traveled to the ECU.

Continue your trouble-shooting of the supercharger whine separately from getting the cam magnet recall work, but also get the recall done asap and perhaps they will inadvertently fix the supercharger issue or end up giving you a free diagnosis of the issue as they work on the recall items.

Post your recall experience in the other thread to keep the topics separate, and good luck with your SLK!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see if the supercharger is making boost? hook up a boost gauge temporarily via a T peice to the fuel pressure regulator. it should read 6-7psi on a stock SLK.

also scan the car for error codes... the supercharger is always on (the m45) as there is no clutch, but the bypass valve may not be shutting letting boost come out. check the cable to it
From Your answer
I can clearly hear the supercharger engage. Should the sound on a stock supercharger on a stock SLK 230 2001 be as high a clear as it is in the vid?

Asking because I can´t hear similiar sound from my charger.....:(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, well....
I´ve been battle with poor performance for 3 months now and tried to pinpoint the problem.

Finally had "only" the P0243 code left to fix. I´ve changed these parts one by one trying to fix the problem:
* Cam mag
* cleaning the whole airforce-induction-system
* Fuelfilter
* Engine loom
* Spark plugs
* EVAP valve
* resold K40 relay
* Airflap actuactor (recalibrate included)
* Borrowed a MAF

but noooooo....:( the problem continues. The car works fine the first ~10 min after cold start but then returning the code P0243 every time I´m erase it.

Spending to much time of my life trying to work this out so I :surrender: and took the decision to go to a "MB-stealer". They found the same code + boost to low.
No leaks founded and after a while they didn´t know what to do so they started to change part by part.
Changed pulse-air valve but no luck, so they changed the B28 sensor (intakemainfold pressure sensor) but no luck this time either.

The mechanic spending 7 hour try to figure it out and today called me with the most unwanted answer of them all. He claims that the supercharger has been replaced be a wrong one. My slk 230 is the facelifted one without any clutch. It should be a Eaton M45 207018 (MBno: A111 090 1080) with a 72mm pulley but I´ve got a Eaton 206127 (MBno: 111 090 0980) with a 80 mm pulley. They claim these causes the problem, ie the charge pressure to low.

Did this car come with different superchargers (the unclutched ones) or do I´ve the wrong supercharger?

It seems like my supercharger belongs to a C200K or SLK200K. is these right?

What can I do?

1. Is it possible to change the pulley to a 72 mm (don´t know if this is the only difference between these 2 eaton)
2. Change the whole supercharger to the right one.....:eek:
3. Sell the d-mn car and finaly get rid of all the problems it has brought me and from there getting my life back...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts