Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I'm pretty sure that MB workshop diagnostic test gear (or a good Inde) could detect if your EIS module was faulty and save you wasting your time/money on keys.

Why not try that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't tell if you have a actual blade key or not but I assume yes since you can't turn it. I have 97 C280 and had key issue after 15 years. I had to order a new one from Mercedes (about $250) it worked for about a year or so until we left the car sit for 2 years. While the battery was disconnected it turned fine and I pushed it around the yard a few times. When I finally got around to trying to start it and connected the battery the key wouldn't turn. I messed with it for couple days, tried everything. Called dealer and another guy that specialized in Mercedes and both said the key did NOT talk to the car so it's not like it lost it's programming. They both said the key should turn even with the battery disconnected but is wouldn't. Tried pulling the steering wheel hard to the right & left still nothing. Then all of a sudden it turns! Although I wiggled it every which way for no reason at all it worked on the 100th try. It is turning pretty good but I'm still afraid it will lock up again. All I can say is keep trying and don't give up. That worked for me.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts