Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a ‘00 C230 that had some minor problems- rough idle, charging problems, and some other cosmetic things. I spent about a month getting it back in order.
Been driving the car about two weeks with no issues. Runs great, gets great mileage, the whole nine yards.
Yesterday evening I parked the car with the windows and sunroof down, and went inside for a few minutes. When I returned, the key wouldn’t turn.
The steering wheel is relatively straight and has some play- I don’t think this is the issue. My key fob still unlocks and locks the car and functions as usual. When the key is inserted into the car, you can hear a small “click” in the steering column...
Battery is charged. Tried jumping the car, charging and disconnecting battery, no luck.
I am not sure where to go from here. Ordering a new key from Mercedes is a $260 maybe... I don’t even know if that’s the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Having the same problem. Read the entire post already on the forum but have additional questions...

I have two keys for my 2000 230C. Neither is working in the ignition. I suspect they are damaged. Attached is a picture you can see that one appears to have a piece of black plastic that is broken that covers the electronics (key on left). Both keys light up, the LED light is there and when I put them in the ignition the car beeps but neither key turns in the ignition. I had only one slight incident before the key stopped working where it hesitated but then the key worked until the very next time I went to turn the car on and it would not work.

I have taken apart both keys and cleaned them but they still won't turn in the ignition. I ordered a new key online and was told I will need a locksmith to sync the new key.

Two questions. In the attached picture is this how the keys are supposed to look? Am I correct in assuming that they are actually broken?
The new key arrives tomorrow - what kind of locksmith am I supposed to be looking for? Can I reprogram the key myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I ordered a new key online and was told I will need a locksmith to sync the new key.

The new key arrives tomorrow - what kind of locksmith am I supposed to be looking for? Can I reprogram the key myself?
I'm sorry, but I don't know who told you the information.

Smart Keys come from Mercedes only. You can't reprogram them or reuse them at all. There are some illegal ways that go about this, but very few people offer that service in the US.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Argh.. I need this car tomorrow. There is nothing Smart about this stupid key. Ordered from here: http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com

Was told an MB dealer or a locksmith could reprogram it for me. Can I reuse the motherboard in either key in the new Fob? The more I look into this the more confused and frustrated I get.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Argh.. I need this car tomorrow. There is nothing Smart about this stupid key. Ordered from here: http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com

Was told an MB dealer or a locksmith could reprogram it for me. Can I reuse the motherboard in either key in the new Fob? The more I look into this the more confused and frustrated I get.
A local locksmith isn't going to have Mercedes key software and I doubt your dealer is going to mess with aftermarket keys.

Mercedes takes key security very seriously.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe they should take the quality of their cars a little more seriously. No one can steal them if they don't run and this is my fourth and final Mercedes. I have finally learned my lesson. Going to sell this piece of crap and buy a Porsche or a BMW or a Buick. My love affair is officially over.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe they should take the quality of their cars a little more seriously. No one can steal them if they don't run and this is my fourth and final Mercedes. I have finally learned my lesson. Going to sell this piece of crap and buy a Porsche or a BMW or a Buick. My love affair is officially over.
:rotfl:

Good Luck !!

I hate these keys too. I have bought two of them but over almost two decades. Probably BMW and Porsche use similar tech for their keys. Buick not sure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Whatever car you have, you might take better care of your keys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whatever car you have, you might take better care of your keys.
Hey thanks Dad. You are a genius and a psychic. The picture I submitted was just after I took a hockey stick and whacked them around my marble floors in a fit of boredom. I have to stop doing that.

Or could it be a used car I bought for my daughter that came with two keys - those in the picture AND that they are after all 18 years old. And the problem in the end is the EIS and not the keys.

But thanks for your advice. It always means so much more when it comes from an uninformed source that just can't help but blurt out their useless and unasked for opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cowgirl LOL. How much easier my life would be as a Cowgirl.

I went over all of the posts on the subject on this forum and googled the heck out of the subject. In the end the Locksmith came out with a MB key that he reprogrammed but the car still would not start. Pretty certain it is the EIS. I have it on Craigslist in Philly for $1,200.00 - key I bought on the internet and the two beat up keys go with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you mean did I wreck it when I was playing hockey with it on my marble floors?

Yes I still have two keys that came with the car and one I ordered online. And no I did not wreck them. I just bought the car in March.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Then there is the possible that the solution that I posted... see post#10...may apply and work for to you.
Did you understand the post and would you be capable of opening the keys to inspect the PCB for a damaged coil?

You don't know for sure if it is the ESI that's at fault.

Dec

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dec not only did I take the key apart and check for breaks but cleaned out both keys, reassembled and tried again. The Locksmith that came out is a MB approved locksmith and he presented a new key - were nothing was broken - programmed the key and tried for half an hour to get the car started. There was simply no connection being made between the key and the ignition. The keys are 18 years old and I buy and sell cars for collectors so I am pretty familiar with cars over all. I know when the writing is on the wall as it was in this case. The key presented by the locksmith should have started the car if the only issue was the key.

·
Registered
75 Posts
However if anyone thinks it is only the key the car is available for sale for $1,200.00 and I will have AAA tow it to any place within 100 miles of Philly. All three keys come with the car. Not the MB key because that was $380.00 and there was no reason to purchase it- but the two original keys and the one I ordered on line that is not programmed yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh I see you are from Ireland. I went to school at the University of County Cork for my junior year abroad. Ran a high end golf tour company for almost twenty years to Ireland, Scotland and England before I admitted I hated golf and closed my company to broker collector cars. Would love to have a guy on the ground if you have an interest. I have a guy in Spain, another in Italy and until recently a guy in the UK. All obsessed collectors that find great cars. I split commission 50-50. There was an AC Bristol in Dublin I was trying to buy for a client but it never happened. Really wanted that car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No, that wouldn’t interest me at this time, you should join the various UK car forums over this side of the water, and you probably have done that already.

Dec

1 - 20 of 22 Posts