Disabling ECO mode - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2013 C300 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not only is it annoying, the ECO mode induces additional wear and tear and is a definite safety hazard. It adds additional cycles on the starting and charging system, and also stresses the battery. MB batteries are expensive. I also am concerned about lack of lubrication in all engines at startup, before the oil pressure is up, resulting in more engine wear with frequent starts. I also question how much gas it really saves, since all engines require a bit more gas to start than idle for a short period: lots of stop-and-go driving could result in more gas usage (a minor point however). My biggest concern, though, is the time it takes to spool up when starting. If I am trying to shoot a gap in traffic even a short hesitation could result in getting t-boned.

I have spoken to the local MB service department and the ECO switch can not be permanently disabled, at least not by them. Additionally, disabling it will void the warranty. And somehow it feeds into the emission control system, so a code gets set if it would be permanently disabled, and as a result you won't pass a smog check.

I just push the button and shut it off every time I start the car. A nuisance, but the only option.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem. It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
you just have to push the button every time. NO WAY AROUND IT. If this is such a pain and it can be to some, than buy an older car. Due café standards for 55+ mpg by 2025 ALL makers are doing this. You can think EPA/GOV and the car makers for accepting this feature.

but with these eng being direct injected its not really wasting money to start. now back 10 yrs ago it would waste more fuel than to just let it idle.

the ECO is no worse on the internals of the eng than a cold start after the engs has been off for 10hrs or so. the trans has an external oil pump that keeps the trans fluid circulated while eng is off. the starters are designed differently and don't pull a lot of amps on the restart of the eco mode. REMEMBER the eng is at running temp so started draw is 3/4 of what it would be on a cold engine.

I am not for this, but this is the wave of the future. GET USED TO IT. its here to stay.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2014 steelgray MB350 4matic
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You can't disable it. But if you use the paddle shifter, it will think that you're in sport mode and it is disabled.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
but yes putting it in "S" mode it shouldn't cut off either.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2013 C300 4matic
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While I may disagree somewhat with your technical assessment (just opinion either way until years of data related to repairs, battery R&R, etc, are accumulated), the safety aspect is my big concern. Even with a new car there is slight hesitation upon restart, which results in a slight acceleration lag as engine spools up. I suspect an older car would be eve slower to restart. Longer lag means increased chance of a collision when trying to squeeze thru a small gap in traffic. So I push the button to disable.

Last week I was traveling and my rental (Chevy something-or-other) had this very undesirable engine shutdown-at-idle feature. Unfortunately it had no disable feature, other than manual shifting. I hadn't driven a "manual transmission" in a while, so it was somewhat entertaining.

These types of gimmicks are the wave of the future, thanks to the enviro-nazis and their attempts at nanomanaging the most minute details of the economy and people's lives. Perhaps with the thinking party back running both houses of Congress perhaps we can get some relief on this idiocy.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem. It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - RR
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Disabling ECO mode

The Chevy Equinox rental I had, had an Eco button as well but not sure if it's any effective since its seemless.Disabling ECO mode-imageuploadedbyag-free1419626633.097850.jpg

Btw posting at 30k feet on my way to Asia!
Disabling ECO mode-imageuploadedbyag-free1419626713.610544.jpg

Last edited by sblvro; 12-26-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Well, Eco-Restart is a European mandate - so get with it - and the MB is specifically executed as the best-in-the-bunch Eco especially for restart - drive a BMW or Audi and you'll feel/hear the disappointing difference... now comparing MB Eco to Chevy Equinox... my apologies, get a grip..
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Disabling ECO mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
Well, Eco-Restart is a European mandate - so get with it - and the MB is specifically executed as the best-in-the-bunch Eco especially for restart - drive a BMW or Audi and you'll feel/hear the disappointing difference... now comparing MB Eco to Chevy Equinox... my apologies, get a grip..

I have the autostop in my escalade hybrid and even in traffic it is seemless. GM Eco is seemless, that's why the equinox is a bestseller. I'm glad my Range Rover sport doesn't have one.

Last edited by sblvro; 12-31-2014 at 05:24 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2016
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher View Post
I stopped into the dealer this morning and asked the question to the service manager for the 4th time and he stated NO.

Kept track of how many times this thing started/stopped on Wednesday of this week. I gave up late afternoon when it was over 100 times
Sorry but I will never believe that this is good for the car and won't cause premature wear on the starter/battery,etc..

Maybe it's just a great thing for those that start and stop about 4 times per day but it's not working for how/where I drive.
My plan was to write MB and see what they say. It might get to the point to where i buy another vehicle that does let you disable the "feature"
I agree this is a terrible idea. Soooooo annoying. I cant believe MB DEALERS have not had a million dissatisfied customers when all they do is say sorry you cant get rid of it.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No it doesn't stress the battery or starter, it's an amazing system , it doesn't use the starter, and the electricity used to fire one plug is almost nothing. What it does is it senses which plug - cilinder is just at the firing point, It then fires that plug to start the motor. What I dont like is the system allows oil pressure to go back to zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X204 GLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in