LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2019
Vehicle: 2009 GL 450 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Spark Plugs Change - What should I watch out for?

09 GL coming up on 100k miles. Thinking about changing the spark plugs. Anything I should watch out for.
Brand of Spark plug ideas? Cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
My 2008 GL450 owners manual book that came with the vehicle, says to use NGK PLKR 7A. Also known as NGK 4288...If there's anything I've learned in 20 years of owning Mercedes, it is to use exactly what they came with, not substituting anything else. While some may have good luck using other plugs, it is best to stick with what they used at the factory. I found these plugs for over $11 each on NGK's website, and even as high as $14 each elsewhere but I purchased mine (all eight plugs) for about $70 on Amazon. I always look for the best price when buying parts! I would bet that your owners manual, if you have it, would specify the same plug for your 2009. I haven't changed the plugs yet, as I just received them today, but looking at the engine, it looks pretty simple, each plug has its own coil and they look simple to replace. These NGK PLKR 7A are platinum. I don't believe that platinum plugs need to be gapped, meaning they should have the correct spark plug gap right out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	734.5 KB
ID:	2527206  

Last edited by tonylinc; 07-12-2019 at 05:04 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much, Tonylinc. I will look it up in my manual (if I can find it).
Your response is extremely helpful.

Do you also own the repair manual and have you replaced the Transmission fluid yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I bought my GL450 on July 3rd. So far, I've replaced the engine oil and used a Mann oil filter, and replaced engine air filters and cabin air filters, and replaced both front window wipers and the rear wiper. Looking forward to replacing the transmission fluid as well as fluid in both transfer cases. Followed by new engine coolant. I have the new spark plugs, probably replace those next week. Happy motoring!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Tonylinc, Mercedes does not require the transfer case fluid to be changed. Are you still moving on with it?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Having just bought the GL, and looking into any servicing it might be in need of... there are people who say transfer case fluid should be changed every 20-25K miles... and the car has 144K miles, so it would be interesting to see the condition of the oil in those. They do have a drain plug and a fill plug, and take a little less than a quart of oil, so it shouldn't be costly to do. I bought a hose squirter attachment that you put on the oil jug to facilitate getting it into the fill hole. There is talk on Benzworld about the chain guides breaking when chains get loose in the transfer cases, so it wouldn't hurt to put new oil in them. No oil in any car is lifetime oil. They just want you to buy a newer Benz when yours breaks. They said that about transmissions, too... I did a search of transfer cases on here and found some info. There is a garage with a lift nearby and they charge by the hour, so I also ordered an new air filter for the Airmatic, (about $8) and will replace that at the same time. The foreign car service shop I asked, gave me this quote for undercar services:

TRANS SERVICE/ FILTER KIT $497.00 PLUS TAX
TRANSFER CASE SERVICE $89.00 PLUS TAX
BOTH DIFFERENTIALS $181.00 PLUS TAX-

So maybe I will do the transfer case oil and differential oil changes myself, and have them service the transmission. I would, have a MBZ dealer service the transmission, but I learned not to trust them!!!
ianrandom likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylinc View Post
Having just bought the GL, and looking into any servicing it might be in need of... there are people who say transfer case fluid should be changed every 20-25K miles... and the car has 144K miles, so it would be interesting to see the condition of the oil in those. They do have a drain plug and a fill plug, and take a little less than a quart of oil, so it shouldn't be costly to do. I bought a hose squirter attachment that you put on the oil jug to facilitate getting it into the fill hole. There is talk on Benzworld about the chain guides breaking when chains get loose in the transfer cases, so it wouldn't hurt to put new oil in them. No oil in any car is lifetime oil. They just want you to buy a newer Benz when yours breaks. They said that about transmissions, too... I did a search of transfer cases on here and found some info. There is a garage with a lift nearby and they charge by the hour, so I also ordered an new air filter for the Airmatic, (about $8) and will replace that at the same time. The foreign car service shop I asked, gave me this quote for undercar services:

TRANS SERVICE/ FILTER KIT $497.00 PLUS TAX
TRANSFER CASE SERVICE $89.00 PLUS TAX
BOTH DIFFERENTIALS $181.00 PLUS TAX-

So maybe I will do the transfer case oil and differential oil changes myself, and have them service the transmission. I would, have a MBZ dealer service the transmission, but I learned not to trust them!!!
I will keep in touch to hear your success story on this. I'm also looking to do the same thing this Friday.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In terms of "watch out," know that the only place you can get the Bosch plugs for these engines is a Mercedes dealer. All the aftermarket places sell BoschUSA plugs with resistors added.

And yes, ALL spark plugs for German vehicles come out of the box correctly gapped, and have since the 1970s. This being Bosch, of course.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Who would use Bosch plugs in their GL when the owners manual says to use NGK.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

In the old days of the W124, the spark plug wires had resistors in the wires, and MBZ specified Bosch copper core plugs. Now times have changed, and the GL owner manuals say to use a platinum NGK that has an "R" in its number, I'm not 100% sure but I bet those NGK PLKR 7A are resistor plugs, they have an "R" on them. And these engines don't have a plug wire, there is a coil right on top of each plug, so that would make sense that they specify an "R" plug. But, whatever makes your car run... works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in