BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2009 GL450 SOLD / 2011 GL550 current daily
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning engine with low pressure garden hose and degreaser
I want to clean up the very dirty engine bay on a 2011 GL550 I just purchased so it can be clean and so I can visually see any issues.
This is what I plan to do, are there any other suggestions for a GL550 specific engine?
- Run cold engine for a couple of minutes to warm up grease/oil/dirt on engine.
- Remove plastic cover and air filter housings.
- plug up exposed inlets from where air filter housings were removed.
- put plastic bag over alternator.
- put plastic bag over ECM
- Put plastic bag over MAF
- 1) Spray engine with degreaser.
- 2) scrub with brush.
- 3) hose down with low pressure water from garden house. Do not use pressure washer.
- repeat 1-3 if still dirty.
- blow off excess water with air compressor or use leaf blower if you don't have air compressor.