post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI & E320 Bluetec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
One year of Ownership- GL320CDI

Hi All! After nearly a year of ownership and roughly 12,000 miles, I thought I would share some initial thoughts on my new to me GL320 CDI.

In addition to daily driving highway/back roads, we took a lot of road trips this Spring and Summer. Fuel economy on the highway seems to be around 24-26MPG depending on speed and driving conditions. Daily driving on the back roads seems to be closer to 22MPG.
Within the third week of ownership, my check engine light came on. Diagnosis from the dealer is a failed CDI control unit. They told me it could affect my fuel economy and performance, but I haven't experienced any issues. They also declined to provide me with a part number for the $4,000+ repair. Over the Summer my passenger side front air spring began to fail at ~65K miles. The driver side was done just before I bought the car by the dealer so I only replaced the failing spring with one from Arnott. Fast forward to the Fall, my two rear springs just started to show signs of failure around ~70K miles. These were also replaced with springs from Arnott. While not an issue related to the SUV, the Conti tires that came on the car are horrible. Wet weather performance is terrible and the car tracks all over the place if there is even the slightest deviation in the pavement. Iíll be replacing those later this week and will post a separate thread after I put some miles on the tires.

Pros:
1. Love the space. We have a large dog and he LOVES stretching out in the back when the seats are folded down. I sat in the third row seats for an hour trip and it wasnít bad at all!
2. Driving position is perfect. Feels more like a car rather than a full size SUV. Great outward visibility.
3. Very smooth riding SUV.

Cons: Not many here, I could nitpick but itís an 11 year old SUV.
1. I know it's an SUV, but it feels like the engine is under powered for the size of the truck. It doesn't bother me unless I am merging or need to "goose it", it would be nice if it had some more low end grunt.
2. If I am driving for more than an hour the seats are pretty un-comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I am not sure how to edit the original thread, it's ~20K miles and not 12K miles.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2008 GL320cdi
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 180,000 miles on the Arnott air bags.

I thought the performance of the Continental tires was good, but was only getting 25,000 miles out of a set. I tried a couple of different tires and have settled on Firestone Destination. They are rated at 60,000 miles, but I always come up just short of 40,000 on a set. Other than one that got noisy a few thousand miles before it wore out, I have no complaints.

You want to add to your maintenance schedule the change of lubrication in the differentials and transfer case.

I routinely make 13 hour trips in my GL. The seats are hard, but have good support. You may want to have the cushion replaced - sat upon or not, it is still 12 years old. I recently bought a sheepskin from Ikea for $29.95 that makes the seat surface much more comfortable.

I'll have 300,000 miles at the next oil change, and I'd hop in the car today and drive anywhere and expect no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response and maintenance tips GL528! I also went with the Firestone Destination and it was the best decision I made. Fantastic wet weather performance and they have been quite on road trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in