2007 GL450 airmatic troubleshooting assistance - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2007 GL450 & 2000 E320 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I wish I knew the voltages those should be sending out. I’m sure it’s low voltage so I would guess the ones with 4 volts or more are sending signals that it’s needing air. The other 2 may he out. Still doesn’t explain why the air compressor doesn’t stay engaged. I have a feeling you need a new one. If it was me I would start with a new compressor and work from there. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2004 clk320 2003 E320 2008gl450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Have you checked the plastic rods going from sensor to strut. Someone on another forum said they can get rust in the ball socket and bind up. He said you can pull them apart and clean and lube. I haven't tried it yet on mine but i am having the same symptoms as you. For me it seems, One day it work and one day it doesnt. This seems to be a plausible theory though. I am assuming if they do bind, the car will not know level and the compressor would not kick on. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2007 GL450
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasht View Post
Have you checked the plastic rods going from sensor to strut. Someone on another forum said they can get rust in the ball socket and bind up. He said you can pull them apart and clean and lube. I haven't tried it yet on mine but i am having the same symptoms as you. For me it seems, One day it work and one day it doesnt. This seems to be a plausible theory though. I am assuming if they do bind, the car will not know level and the compressor would not kick on. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.
I did a preliminary inspection on the sensors and they seemed OK to me. They didn't bind, they raised and lowered properly when the vehicle was jacked up, and there didn't appear to be any corrosion on them at all; in fact, I can't find ANY corrosion on the vehicle at all. It's one of the cleanest 100k miles vehicles I've ever seen. Tomorrow I'll go out and disassemble the arms from the sockets and lube them up just to be sure, but for now, see my next post for more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So those voltages at the sensors have been bothering me. I went ahead and hooked up the Autel meter to monitor the voltages as I raised each corner of the vehicle. The most bizarre thing seems to be occurring: the LF & RR (both ~4.5V on the ground) DROPPED voltage as I raised their respective corners, and the RF & LR (0.5 and 1.4V respectively) RAISED voltage as I raised their corners. This seems extremely unusual to me. I couldn't say if they were exhibiting this behavior prior to this failure since I had no means and no reason to check, but that's where they are now.

Also, I wanted to confirm that I was in fact getting voltage to the compressor since I didn't feel I measured it correctly the last time. I pulled the relay and measured the voltages at the two line terminals using a spade fuse that I sacrificed and I did in fact have 14V at one of the line terminals. I then tried to jumper the line together to get the compressor to kick on and nothing happened. I'm beginning to agree with shadow that the compressor may have gone out, though I don't know if the level sensors have anything to do with anything right now.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So after inspecting the level sensors and finding nothing obviously wrong with them, I bought a compressor as my next step. To my surprise, that did in fact turn out to be the problem. I'll now perform a full leak check to ensure I'm not leaking anywhere, but otherwise I should be good to go.

One weird thing though: the voltages for my level sensors are now all back in line with where they should be, i.e. around 2.0 V. I'm not sure how a failed compressor could cause these voltages to go weird, but it no longer seems to be an issue.

I hope this thread helps others in the future.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2018
Hello , I am new to the page and have come here for the same issue you had. I was wondering how is your vehicle running?
I have a 2012 GL 450 about 105k miles .
I have the malfunction on dashboard on. My truck was lowering on the driver side so i figured it was my air spring. Replaced with Arnott air spring part #a7525 did all the harwork and come to fing out that didnt solve my issue. I can hear the compressor working when I turn on ignition , souds like its working after a few minutes it stops and does not raise the FL side. I press the raise button and seems to pump air into the other 3 sides except the one. Would anyone have any idea of what my problem could be?
Maybe I also need to replace the compressor?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2012 GL 450 4Matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
You most likely have a leaking hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That's a leak.

A wise man says "Nothing is more expensive than a cheap MB"

'74 MB E230.4 W115 Die Hard 675K..this is how it started! (Donated)
'83 MB 190E 2.3 W201 (Sold) '85 MB 190E 2.3 W201 (Sold)
'89 MB 190E 2.6 W201 (Sold) '99 MB E320 W210 (Sold)
'89 MB SL350 R129 (Sold) '06 MB SL500 R230 (Sold)
'04 Volvo XC90-T6 (Sold) '00 Jaguar S-Type R (Sold)
'09 Mazda RX-8 (Sold) '10 MB GL550 4Matic X164 (Current)
'11 MB E350 Coupe C207 (Sold) '10 MB SL63 R231 (Sold)
'12 BMW 750LiX, F02 (Current) '09 BMW 328i HT Conv. E93(Sold)
'92 MB 190E 2.3 W201 (Current) '14 MB CLS550 W218 (Current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in