LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Automatic gear problems

I've got an automatic 2002 Sprinter van I've owned for a few months. It has a problem where if the engine is turned off whilst the van is still in 'A' rather than 'N', then you can't start it again. Surely this can't be normal?

The last couple of times this happened the AA had to come out and were able to restart it, but I don't know what they did. Now its happened again and I'd rather not call them again! Anyone have a suggestion of how I might be able to get it to start..

Incidentally I recently drove from Bristol to London and the automatic gearbox freaked out and stuck itself in third gear and wouldn't let me change either to automatic or to any other gear. I had to stop and shut the van off and it was normal after restarting.

All this makes me think I have a fault with something in the electronics controlling the automatic gear system. Is this something I can fix/replace myself?

any advice appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 316cdi 2002 and 319cdi 2009
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I assume you have the 'sprintshift' box not the fully auto one? If it is the sprintshift then no the fault is not normal however you cant start the engine in anything other than N but if stopped in A then with the ignition on and your foot on the brake pedal it should be possable to select N. If you cant and with the 'stuck in 3rd' problem you had id think you may have low hydraulic pressure, this can be caused by numerous things but first check the hydraulic oil level (this is differant to the gear oil level but still in the gearbox). After that you will need to get the fault codes from the ecu using the STAR diagnostic computer. My old van did what youve described and first time it was the pump control relay, 2nd time it was the pump motor unit.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for response, yes it is a 'sprint shift'. Any thoughts on how to get it to start now it won't move back into neutral? I've just ordered a haynes manual for it so hopefully will work out how to check hydraulic oil level when that arrives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkle View Post
Thanks for response, yes it is a 'sprint shift'. Any thoughts on how to get it to start now it won't move back into neutral? I've just ordered a haynes manual for it so hopefully will work out how to check hydraulic oil level when that arrives!
Assuming that there isnt a blown fuse, check the ones under the drivers seat, can you hear the hydraulic pump run when you turn the ignition on? It may only run for a second or two? Try placing the gear selector in N and with your foot on the brake turn the ignition on and of a couple of times. It can only change /select gears when there is enough hydraulic pressure so turning the ignition on and of forces the pump to prime several times this might be enough to put the box in N. However if the pump doesnt run then it cant shift the gears or for that matter opporate the clutch. Good luck Oh just a thought if you have to have the van recovered make sure they remove the prop as these g/boxes dont like being towed your likly to do more damage.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
sprintshift hydraulic oil

Hi there,

Still haven't fixed this as have been away for a few months, but now want to get van back on the road.

It sounds like replacing or topping up the hydraulic oil fluid in the gearbox is the cheapest/easiest place to start. But I'm not sure which is the right oil - is it this?

GENUINE MERCEDES MULTY GRADE OIL FOR POWER STEERING,CLUTCH,GEAR SHIFT,HYDRAULIC | eBay

How much of it do I need? Should I just top up or drain completely?

Any tips or advice much appreciated - this is all new to me and a little daunting. I bought a Haynes manual but it doesn't seem to cover automatic gearboxes so is not much use in this case. Are there any other resources that might help?

I've seen elsewhere on this forum that there should be a filler and drain plug on the underside of the gearbox that can be opened with an allen key. Is there anything else I need to know?

If this fails to fix it, I guess I need to read error codes somehow - would also like some advice on what I need to do this - I've seen some cheapish OBD readers on amazon and ebay - will these read sprinter error codes, or am I better off with a laptop and software - if so what?

many thanks!

Sam
dave bailey likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkle View Post
Hi there,

Still haven't fixed this as have been away for a few months, but now want to get van back on the road.

It sounds like replacing or topping up the hydraulic oil fluid in the gearbox is the cheapest/easiest place to start. But I'm not sure which is the right oil - is it this?

GENUINE MERCEDES MULTY GRADE OIL FOR POWER STEERING,CLUTCH,GEAR SHIFT,HYDRAULIC | eBay

How much of it do I need? Should I just top up or drain completely?

Any tips or advice much appreciated - this is all new to me and a little daunting. I bought a Haynes manual but it doesn't seem to cover automatic gearboxes so is not much use in this case. Are there any other resources that might help?

I've seen elsewhere on this forum that there should be a filler and drain plug on the underside of the gearbox that can be opened with an allen key. Is there anything else I need to know?

If this fails to fix it, I guess I need to read error codes somehow - would also like some advice on what I need to do this - I've seen some cheapish OBD readers on amazon and ebay - will these read sprinter error codes, or am I better off with a laptop and software - if so what?

many thanks!

Sam
Your better of going to a merc dealer and getting them to check the fault codes and checking the hyd oil level. Your right about the fill level and drain plugs on the bottom of the box but unless you have the correct filler device you will need to fill the box through the breather hose. Best and easiest to get merc to take a look shouldnt take more than an hour so expect a bill of about £80+VAT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2014
gearbox

[QUOTE=DBTRANSPORT;5013569]Assuming that there isnt a blown fuse, check the ones under the drivers seat, can you hear the hydraulic pump run when you turn the ignition on? It may only run for a second or two? Try placing the gear selector in N and with your foot on the brake turn the ignition on and of a couple of times. It can only change /select gears when there is enough hydraulic pressure so turning the ignition on and of forces the pump to prime several times this might be enough to put the box in N. However if the pump doesnt run then it cant shift the gears or for that matter opporate the clutch. Good luck Oh just a thought if you have to have the van recovered make sure they remove the prop as these g/boxes dont like being towed your likly to do more damage.[/QU hi there turn ignition switch on up to start but don't start take out fuses 3 and 8 then turn ignition off replace fuses and start this should sort that out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-906 Sprinter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in