post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: sprinter 311 cdi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sprinter 311 edc light cutting out & limp mode

Hi new to this forum but already very helpfull and hope some one can help me further .
My Sprinter is a 02 311cdi with 320k on the clock since buying it 5 years ago it has always gone into limp mode on a morning going upthe hill from my house ( no edc light ). never really worried about it as I have drove a number of sprinters and most of them have done the limp mode thing a lot worse than this.
Last year it got worse and worse untill eventually cut out and wouldn't start. After a number of Ideas including tank off cleaned fuel lines blown back to tank,filter change, pipe leading from filter to pump, the return valve on filter top change, it was found that the seals on the back rail pressure switch were to blame . 12 months have gone by still had the limp mode problem but useable . every now and then it would cut out edc light on . now its got to a stage were it cuts out every five minutes but always restarts (seems to do it more when I need the power i.e on hill . Infact it cuts out exactly were it used to go into limp mode. I have changed the rail pressure switch totally (not just the seals) with a new one but just the same .

Has any one got any ideas for me .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Also to add to the first post . I found a hole in the intercooler matrix which has probably been there from when a pheasent rudly smashed my grill this is about 4 years ago (suspect the bird has there are feathers around the hole). Would this cause it to cut out totally? i have found a split in the air intake pipe before but never had it cut out. lack of power yes but not cut out . I will change the inter cooler but I would like to pin point the cut out problem first . I am taking it to garage today to plug it in although this usually doesn't tell me much just costs money!

OH and another thing I have problems in cold weather starting only really cold thick ice on windscreen. New battery fitted.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 313 4x4 ,E320 CDI X 4,A160,A170 CDI ,W123,420 SEL,S420 L,420SEC,230,SLK230K, C180 ,C200,C230K, C230K
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
easy solution

firstly you have 2 problems not to be confused with each other.

1st one is you have a either a bad connection / broken wire from ecu to vac transducer this is your limp home problem.

2nd you have introduced a weak point for air to enter system whilst cleaning or having tank / filters off (or possibility of faulty injector) I know you will say you have put it all back properly but I see this all the time, feel free to contact me for the solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks bruce but I dont think its air . I changed all the things I did because air was my first suspect and I could see the odd white bubble in the filter to pump pipe but nothing now even when reving. Plus I only used genuine mercedes parts and seals.
although saying this I would n't rule it out altogether as most problems with diesel engines are air related.
I have had it pluged in and the faults stored are as follows:
Injector 3 excess current in cable
" 4 "
" 1 "
" 2 "
rail pressure sensor voltage too high
charge pessure valve cable has -//- or --

the guy said more than likley are wiring fault in the loom to the common rail.
So Im going to inspect it I will let you know the outcome.

As any one else found this and would these faults cause it to cut out altogether.
Thanks steve
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 313 4x4 ,E320 CDI X 4,A160,A170 CDI ,W123,420 SEL,S420 L,420SEC,230,SLK230K, C180 ,C200,C230K, C230K
ecu

I ll leave it to you if you need n ECU give me a shout
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Is that what you think ECU ?
Because one of the things the tech couldn't understand was the odometer reading from the ecu was 6800 .When the van has done 320k and I personally have done over 100k of them. I did ask him if he thought the ecu could be playing up or some how reset it self. but he said not.
your advice is valued bruce
thanks for the reply
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
today found a wire rubbed through in the loom to the common rail . were the loom cable ties to the bracket attached to the air intake manifold. repaired and wrapped.

No cutting out today .
But back to the old limp mode on the same hill as usual . will check the transducer vac wiring this weekend . but happy I can get some work done now .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
My van was ticking over fine but when revved edc light came on & went into limp,I found that the problem was the water sensor valve type thingy on the top of the fuel filter, what I did was take it off stripped the inside out of it then put it back on the filter with nothing in it,works a treat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

unfortunatly you have created a problem for the future, the reason it was cutting out was when the valve was installed the seal rolled over creating a weak spot for air to enter.
you probably fitted it correctly second time round after removing the guts.

sad that thingy passes fuel through the filter when cold and back to the tank when warm.

now the guts are removed it will keep passing it through the filter, which is ok now but come ter weather the fuel will boil and creat air and the same problem again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: SPRINTER 211 CDI MWB
SORRY I AM A NEW MEMBER AND IT WAS THIS THREAD THAT MADE ME JOIN. TRYING TO FIND A FORUM FOR MY PROBLEM HAVE GREAT DIFFICULTY.
I bought a second hand sprinter about 6 weeks ago, as seen. Ran great in the test drive but needed changed down from fourth to third going through town at about 30 mph.
I never thought this would annoy me as much as it does.
I am used to diving in fourth at 30mph.
Having other problems, an injector had been leaking and was all encrusted with carbon, two weeks off the road trying to release it.
This morning the EDC light came on and the van came to a complete hault and will not start.
Trying to find a solution to that just now. Found some help on here thanks for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-906 Sprinter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in