post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
315CDI Sprinter - Battery light on

Hi

I have a 315 cdi 2008 Sprinter (OM646) with 90.000 km on it.

For the last 2 days the battery light has come on, a few seconds after I start the engine, and stays on, as long as the engine runs.

According to the manual it should be either bad battery or faulty alternator.

But the thing is that the car starts fine, and I have been driving for 2 days with it, (aprox. 200 km) So when I got home today I decided to put a charger on to recharge the batteries. But after connecting the charger to the 2 charge points in the engine compartment, and charging for only a few minutes the charger said that the battery was full.

So my questions are.

1. The Sprinter has 2 batteries. When you connect to the charge points will you charge both batteries ?

2. Backup battery is in the front. but where is the main battery located ?

3. When the alternator is running. Will it charge both batteries in parallel or will it switch between them?

4. Any suggestions for what could be wrong. I would assume that driving for hours with a dead alternator, should wear more on the battery than it did.

I will appriciate any suggestions or things I should test.

Thanks in advance.

Henrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2011 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito68 View Post
Hi

I have a 315 cdi 2008 Sprinter (OM646) with 90.000 km on it.

For the last 2 days the battery light has come on, a few seconds after I start the engine, and stays on, as long as the engine runs.

According to the manual it should be either bad battery or faulty alternator.

But the thing is that the car starts fine, and I have been driving for 2 days with it, (aprox. 200 km) So when I got home today I decided to put a charger on to recharge the batteries. But after connecting the charger to the 2 charge points in the engine compartment, and charging for only a few minutes the charger said that the battery was full.

So my questions are.

1. The Sprinter has 2 batteries. When you connect to the charge points will you charge both batteries ?

2. Backup battery is in the front. but where is the main battery located ?

3. When the alternator is running. Will it charge both batteries in parallel or will it switch between them?

4. Any suggestions for what could be wrong. I would assume that driving for hours with a dead alternator, should wear more on the battery than it did.

I will appriciate any suggestions or things I should test.

Thanks in advance.

Henrik
Hi Henrik

Sorry I have not got any experience with the 315 but I was not aware they had two batteries ! Can you see one under the bonnet or is it just a connector ? If you do have two, its possibly because you have some extras on the van.

As for the battery light being on, its usually a fault with the Alternator and down to a diode or maybe the voltage regulator..

what you need to do is measure the voltage first without the engine running, and then with the engine running, and report the readings back on here.

Just to go back to the battery you should find it under passenger foot well.

Please tell where you are in the world and if the van is something special

Radiotwo

Last edited by radiotwo; 06-27-2010 at 11:38 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
(Thread Starter)
Hi Radiotwo

Thanks for answering back.

I'm located in Sweden. I went to an MB dealer yesterday and they quickly said it was a faulty alternator, that was not charging at all. So they offered to order a new one in for and 1.400 USD and I could come back on tuesday to have it changed.

The 315cdi has 2 batteries.

One in the front under the hood, and a second one in the cabin, at the driver side under the floor between then seat and the pedals.

I checked a few things with a voltmeter.

The battery in the front is used for the lift. The battery in the cabin is the main battery.

And here are the meassurements.

Main battery 12.8 volt. and with engine running 14.3 volt.
Backup battery 12.85 volt (no change when engine is running)

So what I get out of the is that the alternator is indeed working and charging. So somthing else must be wrong.

Thanks
Henrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2011 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito68 View Post
Hi Radiotwo

Thanks for answering back.

I'm located in Sweden. I went to an MB dealer yesterday and they quickly said it was a faulty alternator, that was not charging at all. So they offered to order a new one in for and 1.400 USD and I could come back on tuesday to have it changed.

The 315cdi has 2 batteries.

One in the front under the hood, and a second one in the cabin, at the driver side under the floor between then seat and the pedals.

I checked a few things with a voltmeter.

The battery in the front is used for the lift. The battery in the cabin is the main battery.

And here are the meassurements.

Main battery 12.8 volt. and with engine running 14.3 volt.
Backup battery 12.85 volt (no change when engine is running)

So what I get out of the is that the alternator is indeed working and charging. So somthing else must be wrong.

Thanks
Henrik
Hi Again

When you say the Front Battery is for the lift ! is it a "tail lift or wheelchair lift" ?

Those readings you give seem to say that it is ok, but how did the dealer
determine it was the Alternator? What did they do to check it ?

The only thing I would say is the back up battery should be at the 14.3 volts when the engine is running, but will only connected with a split relay so as the two batteries are not connected when the engine is stopped

Radiotwo

ps The 315 only has the two batteries because of the lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-906 Sprinter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in