post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner - r320 CDI - Aromatic Advice

Hi all,

I purchased a 2007 R320CdI long wheel base just a month ago here in Scotland, and so so far loving the car. Great space for kids and all their stuff!

I found though pretty quickly that the car was sitting about 1.5 inches higher on nearside rear than offside.

So I scoured these forums for info, and found lots of stuff on leak testing, usual culprits etc.

I decided to dive in and have now replaced both rear air springs and both rear height level sensors. Both very easy jobs.

But alas, she still leans although I think maybe a little less, bit that might just be me wishing it....

I hear compressor, and both new bags inflated no bother, so assume compressor is good.

Note too, even leaving car for days, it does not drop at all anywhere. So I cannot see how I can have a leak.

So that leaves valve block. Looks easy to change and I can find an aftermarket online for £70. But before I do ..

Does anyone know for sure if you need to connect to STAR and have levels recalibrated after changed level sensors? I've read some posts saying that, others not.

I am trying to find someone around Glasgow with STAR too just now just to see if they can advise.

Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2539 Post(s)
First of all, do some (semi) scientific measurements.

Park the car on reasonably LEVEL ground somewhere. You're in the Glasgow area, not up in the Highlands, so there must be a bit of level ground somewhere nearby. Borrow a 6 ft spirit level if you have to.

Then do some measurements VERTICALLY (the spirit level comes in handy here again). I would suggest using the centre of the hub cap as a reference point and measure up a vertical line from there to the bottom of the wheel arch.

Compare both sides and see if you have a real difference.

Try doing this after a reasonably long drive (20 to 30 miles should do) so the compressor has time to pump up the springs if needs be, then leave the car overnight and check again.

And yes, to get the level sensors calibrated you need to go to an MB stealership or someone down a sidestreet with a copy of the STAR package. They shouldn't charge you more than 30 to 45 minutes labour time, however, as it's really just a plug-in, calibrate, plug-out job. Mind you, knowing MB stealerships they'll probably try and tell you that you need genuine MB air in your tyres or something....

How is Sconny Botland these days anyway? Lived in Aberdeen area for about 13 years all in (Peterculter 1990-2000, Banchory 2009, Stonehaven 2010-11). I don't miss the cold and wet at all and Aberdeen is a right dump compared to what it was at the eight of the oil boom in the early to mid 90s, that's for sure. What I DO miss are all those lovely twisty highland roads (in the summer) and my Ducati 916 and Lotus Elise to go play on them.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by IWantedaJag; 02-14-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

PS easy way to check for air leaks is the old fairy liquid plus water in a spray bottle trick. Spray it on, watch. If you see bubbles forming you've got a leak.

Pinhole leaks in the hoses between the compressor and the air springs are not unknown and are a right pain in the posterior to fix.

They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi iwantedajag,

Thanks for the replies.

Glasgow is just, well, Glasgow. Wet and windy shite...

I actually get to to Aberdeen a fair bit and agree, it's gone downhill.

The downturn in oil let me acquire a Porsche Cayenne Turbo for little money, off some poor redundant rig guy, so a nice weekend toy.

Back to the R Class...

Took it to a place in town today, TJ O'Neills, really nice guys. They spent an hour trying to recalibrate but only got so far. They checked everything and could find no faults but definitely see a 1 inch height difference at rear.

Now, they did spot one thing.

The front (coils) is not level either. Same 1inch difference. They showed me that if they lift front at same low side, back comes up too, to level.

So they suggested two things.

1. Front spring could be weak ( but looks not broken), and this is causing back to go off too. So replace, but costly.

2. I asked them about adjustable rear sensor links, as I saw some online. They said I could try that and see if can over compensate one side

So here i am, not sure what to do. I just pure hate that lean to one side!

I think the best thing is replace front springs, on basis that if one is weak, best to fix now. If it don't fix lean, at least I have new springs....

Thoughts?

PS I used spirit level idea.. And both front and rear are just under an inch lower on driver side (offside)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Could it just be the offside / right / starboard side is set lower to compensate for UK road camber?

Failing that check you've got the airbags turned the right way on their vertical axis. What I mean is I think the tops or bottoms are tapered or something, so if you rotate them you might level things out.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Back again... Been traveling so not had chance to update.

So I still have a lean at rear.

I believe note though the front spring offside (driver here in UK) is the culprit. Is definitely lower than nearside.

If I Jack front 1in, rear is level.

So I'm going to change springs.

I can go stock or I see H&R lowered (45mm) for front. I have adjustable links at rear already so hopefully can drop that now too.

But 45mm seems a lot? Will it ride too low to be practical you think? I still have stick 18s on.

Paul
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Whether low is too low depends on the speed bumps in your neck of the woods.

FWIW my R350 needs a new front bumper cover after driving over one too many of the concrete strips they use here to stop people parking too far in, nose to kerb, as they tend to around here. There are plastic lugs on the sides of the bumper cover that break and can't be fixed. Kerr-ching !! says Mercedes. 😞

US900 (discounted price) for the plastic plus $150 shipping plus $150 "core charge" or the same to post the old one back (in order to get the core charge refunded. I will fit it myself but I'm still going to have to pay to get it painted.

Think on that before you lower it too much. Not to mention Glaswegian winter slush, the odd Nesbitt in the gutter...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Lol

Thinking about it I think I will stay stock.

Better to have the clearance as you say here. I drive down a poor single lane road for 3 miles daily, and my god you could lose a house in some of the potholes!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Stick to nice fat tyres too then 😉

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Had a last minute change of heart... Went for the h&r lowered..45mm

Hopefully they will be here before weekend but maybe not.

I really don't let the huge arch gap, and I just think it will look so much better. I pray the ride isn't bad though.... Oh well... Need to see!

I also got round to fitting a hid kit today.. Man what a difference.

Going to keep going with these little fixes/Improvements bit by bit.

Next on list are fuel filter and air filters (they look a right PITA and I can't yet find one fuel filter I can order up front. Seems there are many sizes). I bet they have never been changed and car does struggle a tad to start in the morning.

Id like to change head unit too eventually. I've changed to the android units in my previous Cayenne, range rover no bother. Looks a lot easier in the r class.

Finally, I have a local dynatune shop so I may go for a remap...I hear these diesels can benefit a lot from even moderate retune.

Anyway, summer long plan!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in