post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2011 R BlueTec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ESP problem

My 2011 R-class had a very weird and potentially dangerous ESP malfunction last night. I have scheduled a dealer appointment - but car is out of warranty so really worried that this is going to be big $$ for a 7 year old car (that has had more than its share of problems).

Situation: Completely dry road - temperature about 28 degrees C. Had just turned left at a light and about 200 yards later (doing about 65 km/hour) the car slowed down and the yellow triangle ESP light started flashing. For a moment I thought the car was going into "limp home" mode. I got off the gas and before I could do anything else, the brakes (I think right front only) locked up momentarily and the car lurched to the right. Fortunately this was late at night. I pulled over, turned off the car and inspected the wheels (thought I might have a flat or something like that). No visible problems. Started car up again and drove very slowly home.

I've found reports in other MB forums of a defective yaw sensor causing problems - this might make sense since I had just turned left. But doesn't give me a lot of confidence if a failure in the safety system makes the system unsafe (as opposed to inoperable).

Has anybody else experienced this? Coincidentally - my rear wiper is frozen, half way through a cycle. You can hear the motor trying to engage but the shaft is seized (I think) - a common problem with MB rear wipers. Who designs a windshield wiper system with a shaft that corrodes? I love driving this car - but it's had problems I've never had before in 40 years owning various cars. I was already looking at a Volvo V90 now as a replacement - but will miss the third row and towing ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is doing the same thing did you ever find out the problem
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine did the same but also the power steering went and the seat belts pulled us hard into the seats.
I assume it thought we were about to crash (I was going slow in a car park).
It turned out to be the front left abs sensor.
Replaced and all was good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2016
Vehicle: 1994 e320 3.2L L6
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
My esp went off after I installed my subwoofer. I have a 6,000watt peak subwoofer and 1600watts in the doors and what not in my car and at Near full volume my car will think its having an accident and lock my seat belts every time the bass hits at 55% volume. my Mercedes mechanic couldn't find any codes after they looked at it. So I figured it was a false trip. Makes sense now if the w251 has a yaw sensor issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarmtn View Post
My 2011 R-class had a very weird and potentially dangerous ESP malfunction last night. I have scheduled a dealer appointment - but car is out of warranty so really worried that this is going to be big $$ for a 7 year old car (that has had more than its share of problems).

Situation: Completely dry road - temperature about 28 degrees C. Had just turned left at a light and about 200 yards later (doing about 65 km/hour) the car slowed down and the yellow triangle ESP light started flashing. For a moment I thought the car was going into "limp home" mode. I got off the gas and before I could do anything else, the brakes (I think right front only) locked up momentarily and the car lurched to the right. Fortunately this was late at night. I pulled over, turned off the car and inspected the wheels (thought I might have a flat or something like that). No visible problems. Started car up again and drove very slowly home.

I've found reports in other MB forums of a defective yaw sensor causing problems - this might make sense since I had just turned left. But doesn't give me a lot of confidence if a failure in the safety system makes the system unsafe (as opposed to inoperable).

Has anybody else experienced this? Coincidentally - my rear wiper is frozen, half way through a cycle. You can hear the motor trying to engage but the shaft is seized (I think) - a common problem with MB rear wipers. Who designs a windshield wiper system with a shaft that corrodes? I love driving this car - but it's had problems I've never had before in 40 years owning various cars. I was already looking at a Volvo V90 now as a replacement - but will miss the third row and towing ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in