Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2009 R320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17

Hi Everyone,

My Check Engine Light went on (Solid Yellow) on my MB R320 BlueTec. My Actron AutoScanner reported fault code P203D: "Reductant Level Sensor Circut High. CONFIRMED". I called the dealer, Autobahn Motors Mercedes-Benz in Belmont, CA and they told me I had to bring it in because the Mercedes scanner gives the "correct" codes. The dealer reported fault code 203D17: "Found Add Blue Tank Internal Failure" (At a cost of $185). They said I have to replace my AdBlue tank at a cost of $3,493! They said the heating element is faulty which is built inside the tank. Hence, I have to replace the whole tank. I check the local shops and they said the same thing.

After I drive it for about 30 minutes the light goes off. But it goes back on after it is parked overnight. I doesn't go on when the outside temperature is above 85 deg F. Maybe the heater or temperature monitor is broken and after driving the car, the fluid warms up enough to clear the fault.

Does anyone know any other alternatives like a repair kit? Did I put the wrong AdBlue fluid in the tank? I have also read that filling it with AdBlue fluid may get rid of the fault.

If I do not fix this, will it hurt other parts of my car?

Car: 2009 Mercedes R320 BlueTec with 80K miles.

Thank in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2015 VW Beetle 1.8l, 2014 For Escape, 2001 BMW R1100S. GONE 2009 ML320, 2001 C230K, 1983 240D
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
According to the EPC for my '09 ML320 there is a "heater repair kit" for right at $1000. I've dropped my tank to look it over, it isn't that big of deal to do it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2009 R320
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N41EF View Post
According to the EPC for my '09 ML320 there is a "heater repair kit" for right at $1000. I've dropped my tank to look it over, it isn't that big of deal to do it.
I just noticed, in my quote, there is a line item for an AddBlue level sensor for an additional $966. Why would they need to replace the level sensor? If it is the level sensor, why not just get the level sensor? Why do I need the whole tank? Unless fault code 203D17 means the heater and the level sensor has a problem. They don't know which one and they have to replace them both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2014
Vehicle: 2009
Hi

I have a 2009 R320 bluetec with 49000 Miles. I have the check engine light with P20BE code. I have taken the car to a mechanic and he said that it's Adblue heater malfunction. How can I remove the Ad blue tank. I have already flushed the Adblue and refilled it. The code is still there. Please Advise.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2011 R BlueTec
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check out this thread:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w251...ml#post5181148

I had an AdBlue heater fault code which took months and many dealer trips to fix. In the end, it turned out to be a crimp connector that was a little bit loose - once this was fixed, the fault code never came back.

Before they replace your AdBlue tank/heater - I would recommend that they do a continuity check on the wiring to see if it's an electrical connection issue.

Good luck.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 R350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2011 R350 with an adblue heater code and the dealer notified me the the pre-heater was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced for about $1500. My vehicle has about 85k km and I was surprised that this would be a problem so early and that it was not covered by my warranty. I went online and found an OEM heater from Exoparts in Toronto for $800 and will be replacing the heater myself. The rep there said these heaters usually go in 3-5 years. After looking through the many threads I believe all I need to do is remove the plastic cover, remove the support bolts, unplug the output hose and wiring harness. If there are any surprises to this replacement that anybody knows about let me know. I plan to do this job next week when the part arrives.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2009
Good Luck Riverbend. Let us know how the job went. If possible post the pictures/video of the job.

Thanks in Advance!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I will post pictures of the fix when the part arrives.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Mercedes R350 Adblue heater replacement

I got the parts today and decided to put the heater in right away instead of leaving things until winter when it's 30 below, like I usually do. The hardest part of this fix was disconnecting the adblue output hose as it left the protective housing. This is located in front of the tank and you will find it as you look from under the car. This was tricky getting off. Disconnect the electrical pushing out the grey tab then pushing the tab into the fixture to get it over the inner ridge. This will apply to all of the electrical fixtures. Then disconnect the adblue connection. Put a flat screwdriver between the connection and gently pry apart.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0735.jpg

There are four nuts that hold on the dust cover as well as four bolts that attach the cover to the bumper. They are 10 mm and easy to take off. Once the bolts are off the cover will come down not off. This is all it needs to do.
Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0720.jpgMercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0722.jpg

Disconnect the two electrical connections from the tank. They are held on by slides. Slide the bottom connection down and the top across to remove from the tank and then disconnect. They are also held to the side of the tank which is simple to remove.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0725.jpg

There are two nuts to remove to take off the holding straps. Follow the straps to the rear of the tank and you will see the 13mm nuts. Once the straps are off the tank will drop down and out.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0726.jpg

Take a picture of the top of the tank and disconnect all of the electrical fittings.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0729.jpg

Remove the pump by taking off the three hex nuts and set aside.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0730.jpg

Unscrew the top ring. Mine was pretty tight but came off with no tools needed.

Take off the top of the heater by placing a flat screwdriver between the seal and the top and pry up. At this point once the top was off I cut the inner cable and hose as I had a new part and it exposed the inside of the tank. Remove the inner rubber seal and turn the inner heater counter clockwise to release the heater from the tank.

The adblue heater I purchased from Exoparts had a new heater, rubber inner ring, outer top ring, new hex nuts for the pump, new rubber rings for the under side of the pump and new zip ties which I used. There were some other plastic fitting which I had no idea what they were as I did not see any of those parts.

Putting the heater into the tank in the groves, turn clockwise to lock it in. Put in the inner rubber ring. Place the top of the tank on the ring. My top had an arrow which matched an arrow on the tank. Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0733.jpg

Put on the outer ring, tighten. Put on the rubber o-rings onto the bottom of the pump and put the pump onto the heater with the new hex screws. Put on the zip ties onto the outer ring in the same places as the original, attach the electrical cables and connect them. Refer to your picture.Mercedes R320 BlueTec AdBlue Tank Heater Replacement Fault Code 203D17-img_0734.jpg

New heater is in the tank put the tank in the car and connect all fittings. Put on dust cover and connect to external adblue hose. Done.
HarmanKardon and Deplore like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

By the way the job took about 1 1/2 hours, taking tools out and putting them away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in