BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2009 R320 Bluetec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Please Help! 2009 R320 Bluetec limp mode w/codes

Hi All-

This is my second mercedes. The first was a 2006 c230 purchased new by myself and it ran very well. We had our 3rd child and could not fit our family in that car so we got a 2009 R320 Bluetec from a dealership. In less than a year, we have had issues with the rear A/C and recently a leak in the turbo pedestal that my husband will be fixing this week. Now, it has also gone into limp mode. My husband got a code reader by innova and it popped 3 codes up. One, a glow plug code we are fixing as well but now P0544 and P0546. My husband thinks these are sensors on either side of some exhaust? Sorry I am clueless but he works all day so I am researching all I can. I read on some other forums to clean those sensors to see if that works. He got under the car this morning and couldn't get them out. Is there an easy way of doing so or any tips of how to do it? Also anyone experience both these codes and what was it? Is it possible they are just bad sensors and I need to replace those? Or could it be a way bigger problem? We had an after market warranty on it but they dicked us around and it seemed to be a scam so we terminated it. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2008 R320 CDI, 2002 ML500, 1999 E320 4Matic, TR6, GT6, TR7, TR8
How many miles on the R? Most likely a sensor problem, but could be the DPF, which is expensive....but I don't think it fails that often. There are two EGT sensors on my 2008 CDI....not sure about the bluetec....best thing to do is find an independent Mercedes service shop that has the STAR diagnostic system and have them diagnose the problem. It is usually failed sensors...about $120 each plus labor. They are not hard to change...maybe 1 hour in labor. Have you been using the correct fuel and oil? Only Mobil One formula M and ultra low sulfur diesel. VERY IMPORTANT!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
We brought it in last week because we noticed a leak. They thought it was the rear main seal so they put dye in to make sure. It actually ended up being the turbo pedestal leaking. My husband was going to do that this week and now this happens. Could it be the dye that clogged it up and sent the sensors into a tailspin? I am clueless, what is a DPF? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok I see Diesel Particulate Filter. Does any one know a part number on that or how much that would cost? My brother in law is a diesel mechanic and can do it. How much does that part run? Or can you just clean that thing out? It has 74,000 on it

Last edited by ajwag26; 08-01-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added more
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwag26 View Post
Ok I see Diesel Particulate Filter. Does any one know a part number on that or how much that would cost? My brother in law is a diesel mechanic and can do it. How much does that part run? Or can you just clean that thing out? It has 74,000 on it
Don't just assume the DPF needs replacement without proper diagnosis. Even if there is an issue with it, the dealer can often perform a forced regeneration to clear it out. If that doesn't work, you might check into the aftermarket vendors that physically clean out the filter. Last choice should be replacement.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

The DPF is VERY EXPENSIVE. Get a STAR diagnosis and go from there. Last post is is right, dealer or an independent Mercedes service facility with STAR can force the system into a cleaning. It might not even need this, but the only way to tell if allis working properly would be to have it STARed.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1985 300D
P0544

Quote:
Originally Posted by depair View Post
The DPF is VERY EXPENSIVE. Get a STAR diagnosis and go from there. Last post is is right, dealer or an independent Mercedes service facility with STAR can force the system into a cleaning. It might not even need this, but the only way to tell if allis working properly would be to have it STARed.

The code is misleading because it id's a exhaust gas temperature. I think the key here is Bank 1 Sensor 1; which means the exhaust side that has the #1 cylinder and the first sensor in the stream. For my 08 ML320 CDI, that should be the 02 sensor. Ive ordered it and plan to change it next week. amazon offered the best price on a bosch exact fit replacement.

Best to you
Mike
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

P0544

Here is my Mercedes CEL wisdom: If it aint broke, don't fix it. If you do have a CEL indicating a sensor, replace them all with OEM exact fit parts. Most are available at a discount from non-dealer vendors. They should all be replaced at 100,000 miles anyway. If you do chances are good you will enjoy another 100,000 miles of CEL free driving.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: R class
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help

I'm not new to the forum but this is my first post :-

2009 R320 BT.
Car idle ruff and would not rev pass 2500rpm

from MB diagnosis system

Code
123900 Charge Pressure it too low STORED
118900 Compt. B60 (Exhaust back pressure sensor)
has a plausibility STORED

Event
153900 Efficiency of SCR catalytic converter :Effect
is insufficient Event STORED

Please any ideas?
and thank you in advance
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 03 sl55 amg, slk230 hers, 06 e350 4matic estate black 7 pass, 97 sl500 red 2013 ml350 bluetec
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzzaa View Post
Help

I'm not new to the forum but this is my first post :-

2009 R320 BT.
Car idle ruff and would not rev pass 2500rpm

from MB diagnosis system

Code
123900 Charge Pressure it too low STORED
118900 Compt. B60 (Exhaust back pressure sensor)
has a plausibility STORED

Event
153900 Efficiency of SCR catalytic converter :Effect
is insufficient Event STORED

Please any ideas?
and thank you in advance
charge pressure is usually leak in air intake system check charge hoses or do a simple pressure test.
exhaust back pressure may be related due to turbo not spooling(depending on when code was set.) so address low charge code first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in