Leaking oil cooler or oil coolers seals in '07 R320 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OM642 oil cooler seal repair

Call MBUSA in NJ. Maybe they'll give you some relief on the cost of that oil cooler seal repair; its not your fault that you chose to purchase a product with initial vice. They really are on the hook and know about the problem with the original choice of oil cooler seal material degrading from heat which prompted them to replace the seals with the purple material (viton). I understand that in legal circles, a change of design of this type implies liability.

Hope you get another 140K without problems. I am putting on about 1K miles every week and keeping my fingers crossed that I won't get that leak again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2007 W251 R320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Leak

I have an oil leak similar to the one described,houseofdiesel has given good advice, I tried my local MB stealership and they wouldn't (and I mean wouldn't) help me unless I paid them 155.00, I found a Mercedes independent about an hour away from me and we lifted the car on his ramp, I showed him where the leak was coming from, he made a phone call and advised me to replace the oil separator 30.00, when I purchased the parts I ordered the separator, two air filters and a new seal for the turbo inlet, when I removed the air filters they were blind with bits of leaves, insects and dust, I realised then that a basic design fault had caused the oil from the separator to be "sucked" through the short tube and into the turbo inlet, simply because both my air filters were blocked and the oil separator breather pipe is after the air filters at the turbo inlet, I had to clean all the turbo pipes (pressure side) and a collector of some kind just before the intercooler (black plastic chamber on the front of the engine) all had considerable amounts of oil in them, I replaced the turbo inlet seal which was where the oil seemed to be leaking from but I am definitely looking to modify the oil separator exit pipe with the sensor on it to a sealed paint can and return the crank case fumes to the turbo inlet as suggested otherwise this may happen again although I will probably be changing my air filters more frequently as I could not believe how much debris had been sucked into them, my car has full stealership history and 64000 miles on it, I have been servicing my own vehicles for years and I have never seen air filters blocked up like this it makes me think twice about service history etc
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: R320 CDI 4MATIC
I have a 2008 R320 CDI - I am assuming that too would be a OM642 engine.

I have the same issue and more (it appears), the dealer replaced seals around the intake snorkel (orange seals), but I took the car to an independent shop to get some error codes read (the dealer was 3x the price). The error codes were for a faulty glow plug and glow plug module. While they had the car on the hoist, the tech took a look around and removed the lower engine cover - it is a spongy material on the inside and it too had quite a bit of oil in it. The bottom of the engine still had some oil on it, the tech after looking at it for some time, thought the oil cooler needs to be replaced.

So my question is: can I avoid this repair by topping up the oil (if needed) as house of diesel suggested (it is weeping - not dripping out), has anyone else done this? My Stealer is quoting $3000 and the Indie is at about $4000 because is wants to also replace a few other wear items since they will be "in the engine" as he put it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I don't know how Mercedes Benz of Canada handles claims for defective oil cooler seals. I thought I would just add oil but the leak was catastrophic to the point where I risked losing so much oil that the engine could potentially seize on the highway. I was putting in a quart every 500 miles and did not feel safe driving the car with that issue extant. I think if you could get MB to chip in, it could be (as "little" as) $2500. Plus they warranty the repair for a long time thereafter.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks hopefully they will chip in...

Between this issue, a glow plug module needed replacement, with potentially a few Glow plugs as well and then Yesterday when I cam e back from a business trip I found the arse end lowered as the air had somehow escaped from air suspension make me wonder if repairing everything is worth it... I really like the R, the perfect roadtrip car in my opinion, if it was more reliable.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Perhaps you would like to start a new thread detailing your experiences with "glow plug module" and "air bag" topics.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPearl View Post
Perhaps you would like to start a new thread detailing your experiences with "glow plug module" and "air bag" topics.
Decided to sell the R.. it's too bad, love the car, hate the repair cost
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2015
Anyone experienced oil leak from Mercedes Benz Diesel engine?
I own a 2008 R320 Mercedes, already replaced most seals two years ago because of oil leak problems. Repaired turbo oil leaks 14 months ago, now I was told I have to replace oil cooler seals as oil is leaking badly again.

Any suggestions for above repair and wonder if Mercedes will help pay for all or part of the cost?

Can anyone help to repair for less?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: W211 E320 CDI V6 FL Avangarde Sports Package Wagon
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofdiesel View Post
Third, replace those two seals mentioned above and then thoroughly clean out the intake valley with degreaser etc and wash, flood the entire valley area with cleaners to rid the oil build up. Then decide if you need an oil cooler resealing or not. It is very hard to determine the source sometimes.
How to clean the valley with the intakes on? What products and methods would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in