R Class Rear Suspension Air Bag Replacement - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2006 R350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a similar problem - my 2006 R350 seriously leans to the left I was told it was the compressor malfunctioning - need to be replaced - $1100 not covered in the 3rd year of a 3 year extended warranty - damn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: R500, E350
Question on Airmatic Raising Automatically

In in 2007 R500 - When driving strictly on Local California streets - Suspension sometimes lowers and raises itself. I want driving from Highway into streets, but only in streets. Is this normal? I asked MB Dealer to check if something was wrong as usual - nothing. Could you guys help if with your experience.
post #23 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2006 R500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkamal View Post
In in 2007 R500 - When driving strictly on Local California streets - Suspension sometimes lowers and raises itself. I want driving from Highway into streets, but only in streets. Is this normal? I asked MB Dealer to check if something was wrong as usual - nothing. Could you guys help if with your experience.
It is my understanding this is normal. If i recall correctly, the manual states that the car lowers at speeds above 45 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Suspension r350 thasnks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clscruizer350 View Post
I just replaced both of my rear suspension air bags. My R class has the full Airmatic suspension, which I have already replaced myself the front ones last year at $1000 x 2. I found a company Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries, which sells remanufactured suspension parts. I bought the set of two rear air bags for $299, compared to $550 each ($1100 for both rears) from MB . I installed them yesterday, and so far they are performing like OEM. The air bags are manufactured by Continental, which makes tires, and have a division which is Contitech that makes air bellows and other air suspension related parts. Arnott offers lifetime warranty, as I was hesitant because I thought their would not perform as well or that they would pop when loaded, but so far I am pleased. The replacement is so simple, as it also comes with instructions. The steps for removal are the following:
1.Raise up the vehicle from the body or rear cradle to allow rear tires to drop down.
2.Remove Compressor Fuse located in Engine Compartment (The second large orange 40 amp fuse is the compressor's). Remember to remove key from ingition.
3.Once vehicle raised from rear, removed the rear tires
4. Remove the airline at the top of the air bag on the opposite side from the wheel with an open 10mm wrench and remove the adapter from the line, as the new one already has such piece.
4. Pry the air bag down from the top with a flat screwdriver to release it from the locking pins at the top.
5.Remove the air bag by squeezing it through.
6.Remove and install the white securing pins with a flat screwdriver
7. Install the new air bag with the air inlet towards the inside. Make sure the bottom is seated properly to match the notch.
Reconnect the airline and ensure that it is all the way in and that the colored marks on the airline are against the fitting in the airbag (just push it hard until it cannot go more).
8. Reinstall tires, lower vehicle (the vehicle will drop the wheels into the wheelwells), reinstall the fuse, and turn on the car so that compressor fills the bags (you may hear a couple of pops, but they are normal).
9.Check tha the vehicle does not drop all the way into the wheelwells, as it is a sign that you still have an airleak (leaking air at the connection fitting is the most likely problem), otherwise, you are done!
so after raising car and removing tires, do you also remove wheelwell cover? thanks
post #25 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clscruizer350 View Post
I just replaced both of my rear suspension air bags. My R class has the full Airmatic suspension, which I have already replaced myself the front ones last year at $1000 x 2. I found a company Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries, which sells remanufactured suspension parts. I bought the set of two rear air bags for $299, compared to $550 each ($1100 for both rears) from MB . I installed them yesterday, and so far they are performing like OEM. The air bags are manufactured by Continental, which makes tires, and have a division which is Contitech that makes air bellows and other air suspension related parts. Arnott offers lifetime warranty, as I was hesitant because I thought their would not perform as well or that they would pop when loaded, but so far I am pleased. The replacement is so simple, as it also comes with instructions. The steps for removal are the following:
1.Raise up the vehicle from the body or rear cradle to allow rear tires to drop down.
2.Remove Compressor Fuse located in Engine Compartment (The second large orange 40 amp fuse is the compressor's). Remember to remove key from ingition.
3.Once vehicle raised from rear, removed the rear tires
4. Remove the airline at the top of the air bag on the opposite side from the wheel with an open 10mm wrench and remove the adapter from the line, as the new one already has such piece.
4. Pry the air bag down from the top with a flat screwdriver to release it from the locking pins at the top.
5.Remove the air bag by squeezing it through.
6.Remove and install the white securing pins with a flat screwdriver
7. Install the new air bag with the air inlet towards the inside. Make sure the bottom is seated properly to match the notch.
Reconnect the airline and ensure that it is all the way in and that the colored marks on the airline are against the fitting in the airbag (just push it hard until it cannot go more).
8. Reinstall tires, lower vehicle (the vehicle will drop the wheels into the wheelwells), reinstall the fuse, and turn on the car so that compressor fills the bags (you may hear a couple of pops, but they are normal).
9.Check tha the vehicle does not drop all the way into the wheelwells, as it is a sign that you still have an airleak (leaking air at the connection fitting is the most likely problem), otherwise, you are done!
Eric,
I replaced one bag in no time. And es it took longer to remove and re-install the tire!!!!!!!! THe other issue that took a little time was the airhose..difficult to get a wrench in there. All toll it took 40 mins to replace the blown bag. I will do the other soon. So, Mercedes wanted $2500 i did it for $29 plus shipping and a little sweat!
post #26 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Well i want to thank who ever posted this as i have just had my rears replaced with the Arnott and including install at my local shop total cost 406.00, i had called the dealership here and they wanted 780 per unit and 1000.00 for install. Just picked up the car so only time will tell but with a lifetime warranty from Arnott and only a 2 year warranty from MB, this was a total no brainer, saved over $2,000.00 real world dollars, Thanks to all who contributed. I owe you one!
post #27 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

After 1 week ,the install and rear air suspension is working awesome. No problem at all and with a lifetime warranty from Arrnott, this is the ultimate no brainer. With a 2 year warranty from MB at 5 times the price get serious.
post #28 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: MY09 R320 Pewter & MY15 Subaru STI Black
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcanadatom View Post
After 1 week ,the install and rear air suspension is working awesome. No problem at all and with a lifetime warranty from Arrnott, this is the ultimate no brainer. With a 2 year warranty from MB at 5 times the price get serious.
Hi Tom, which shop did you have it done at?

Cheers
post #29 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranch View Post
Hi Tom, which shop did you have it done at?

Cheers
I had it done in Canmore, I was totally ready to do it myself but my pal worked at this shop called Triple NC. They handled it for me and charged me 1 hour labour for the job. Top notch!
post #30 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: MY09 R320 Pewter & MY15 Subaru STI Black
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcanadatom View Post
I had it done in Canmore, I was totally ready to do it myself but my pal worked at this shop called Triple NC. They handled it for me and charged me 1 hour labour for the job. Top notch!

I thought you were in Quebec. Thanks anyways.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in