R Class Rear Suspension Air Bag Replacement - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
clscruizer350, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, I tried this on the front once before. I had the new strut most of the way in, but couldn't get the fork over the driveshaft. I do not recall if I tried to put the fork over that before maneuvering the top into place. Maybe I can try that with the next one, or just suck it up and pay the $200 to my local independent shop knowing that I saved $360 by installing the rears myself!

In any case, I will be glad to have all four corners on Arnott Industries lifetime warranty equipment rather than the s**t that Mercedes puts on from the factory.

gbooks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
I've thankfully not (yet) had any problems with the air bags, but I just got our R320 CDI back from the dealer after the left-hand rear shock absorber was replaced under warranty after failing only 10 months after it was replaced. I couldn't believe it when the tell-tale knocking from the rear started again a couple of months ago.

Thankfully we were not out-of-pocket for this replacement, but less than a year and only 10,000 miles is literally "shocking"!
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
rear shock absorbers needed

Hi Gents,

well, it seems that you guys bought all the rear shock absorbers they had available ... I need a pair of them since both started leaking. Oh, on this occasion: since English is not my first language but German may I ask what is the difference between "strut" and "shock absorber"? Is it not basically the same?
Just in case Arnott don't have any available what's your suggestion?

Rgds

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What a great thread, you should have post some pictures if you can. I own four mercedes-benz and I highly recommend you to buy a wheel hanger from

WheelHanger.com - The Ultimate Wheel Hanger

Mercedes normally uses 14mm wheel hanger. It makes changing tires very easy especially with the 18" wheels I have. I guarantee you will save your back the next time you change your tires! These are used by mechanics, thats how I found out about them!
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Leak somewhere in the system

Hello all -

So the good news: Arnott Industries at all four corners now! And the bad news: It appears my rear airbags were not bad after all. The right rear sagged overnight before the switch and after. This means there is a leak somewhere. How can I figure this out without taking the car to a shop?

Also, I have a set of used OEM rear airbags if anyone needs some. PM me for more info if interested.

Thanks for looking!

gbooks
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hello all -

I ended up taking the car to David Terry. He found the leak and fixed it. I would recommend him for your Mercedes repair needs in Phoenix.

GBooks
post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2011
Easy Replacement

I am not the greatest mechanic, but that was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. Took me less than an hour.

Perhaps it was only a leak, but if that earlier post about the bags lasting 68k is true, it was time anyway.

Hats off to BenzWorld and its members, Arnott and its discount code.

The dealership can eat my shorts.

I called Arnott and they (no longer?) take the core for $50 as posted elsewhere. What should I do with these old bags? One is still good for sure, the other may have a leak (or is bad).

Last edited by Benzombie; 09-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.
post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 97 E320, 04 230K, 06 R500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbooks View Post
Hello all -

I ended up taking the car to David Terry. He found the leak and fixed it. I would recommend him for your Mercedes repair needs in Phoenix.

GBooks
Where was the leak at? How did he locate it?
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
I just ordered a set of airbags, my wifes r350 is leaning to one side and the bags need replacing. From what I hear on this forum; I think I can do it myself!
post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
How do you know if one of the airbags / struts / shocks have failed? Driver side Front fender drops to tire each night. Pump airs it up once car is started though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in