BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2019
Vehicle: 2016 B Class CDI180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Auxillary Stop Start Battery location W246 2016

Hi,
I'm in UK and having problems with intermittent stop-start function in my B Class cd180. It is almost certainly due to low mileage (13,000 in 3 years).Having read all the posts I am pretty sure that the auxillary battery needs charging but I cannot find it. I have seen the main battery under bonnet and the tiny 1.2AHC which is under the trim in the passenger footwell but cannot find the Auxillary 12v 12 AHC Gel battery that powers the Stop Start. The car is still under guarantee but I don't want to sit in a MB dealer (1 hr away) for 2 hours while they charge the battery. I know what I am looking for but cannot find the location. Several sites have been discussed (under passenger footwell) but I can only see the 1.2 AHC battery and fuses under there. Also "under the boot" has been mentioned. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: B250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
have you checked the trunk? on the sides.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Auxiliary battery location.

Hi,
I have checked the 2 hatches either side of the boot (trunk). However, I have seen 2 quite wide ridges running front to rear in the trunk with plastic covers and they look similar to an E Class auxiliary battery replacement video on YouTube. I will have to pull the plastic plugs and investigate. Very puzzling. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have checked the 2 ribs running through the trunk with no joy. I checked the main battery and the voltage seemed a little low at 12.2v so I charged the battery. It has an 80 AHC AGM battery which seems more than adequate for a 1461cc Diesel engine so maybe they have cut out the stop-start auxillary battery and just kept the small 1.2 AHC for accessories and the main one under the bonnet doing normal starting and Stop/Start.
I am due a long run in 2 days so I will see if the amber stop-start symbol turns green again. Otherwise I will report it to MB as a fault. I am aware that AGM batteries cannot be charged with normal battery chargers. I used a CTEK with an AGM setting. It came up a treat.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2006 W245.232 | 2012 W246.243 | 2013 W176.043
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hi many

do u managed to find the aux battery?

its under the front passenger foot rest. u need to pull down the carpet and floor panel. then u will see some plastics covers. the battery is under the plastic covers which u need to unhook it from the slot.

follow the red wire and u will see the battery, a bit tricky but u can do it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Battery still not found but stop/start working again.

Hi Hafiez,
Thank you for your suggestion. Could you please be more specific? In the uk the passenger side is on the Left as you face forward. In countries that drive on the right it is on the right. I have examined the uk passenger footwell closely and by pulling back the carpet can only see a fuse box and the tiny 12v 1.2 abc battery which is not the one I am looking for. Other posts show it is the size of a motorcycle battery.

Today I drove a total of 200 miles in the vehicle. After 180 miles the stop-start began to function correctly. I am not sure if it was because the auxiliary battery was now charged or because I braked really hard to avoid an idiot, and there is a loose connection.

I will call in the MB dealers and report it as a fault under warranty.

Thanks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

yes, im using the same car. u have to look at the passenger side foot rest.
that 12v tiny battery is the aux battery. it has negative and positive terminal right?

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w24...r-battery.html

view this link, other member already posted before.

as for the an event stop start began, I think that because your battery has loose connection with the cable. I have the same problem as you last month. the battery suddenly work after sudden brake. upon checking, yes the connection cable loose with the battery. IMO, this battery is seldom gives problem and no need to replace it. just check the connection. after I tightened the cable, my car start-stop works as it should. this fix no need for u to go to the workshop. u can do it by yourself.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Still cannot locate Stop/Start Battery

Hi Hafiez,
I have been under the passenger footwell again and the stop start battery cannot be seen. The plastic cover is for the fuse box and no other battery is visible apart from the tiny auxillary battery and it is very small with push on connectors. This battery is definitely not the stop/start battery as the wires are too small to start the car. Visible is a brown (positive) thick cable which disappears into the central console and looks like it may be the size of a starter lead. As the car is still under warranty I do not want to strip all the carpets out looking for it. MB must have made it accessible if its life is only 4-5 years.

If you google MB B Class 246 stop start battery you will see a motorcycle size battery which is 150x90x45mm and this is what I am looking for. The MB instructions you sent me (I have seen already) mention removing the bolts in the additional battery terminal and the tiny battery has push on terminals.

I may have confused you with the model. It is a 2016 W246 B 180 SE D Auto, I took the description from the last MB service sheet which was wrong. If I could work out how to post a photo on here I would send you a clear photo. Different MB models with Stop start seem to hide the battery(ies) under seats, Floors, trunk, side panels, I just cannot find mine!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny729 View Post
Hi Hafiez,
I have been under the passenger footwell again and the stop start battery cannot be seen. The plastic cover is for the fuse box and no other battery is visible apart from the tiny auxillary battery and it is very small with push on connectors. This battery is definitely not the stop/start battery as the wires are too small to start the car. Visible is a brown (positive) thick cable which disappears into the central console and looks like it may be the size of a starter lead. As the car is still under warranty I do not want to strip all the carpets out looking for it. MB must have made it accessible if its life is only 4-5 years.

If you google MB B Class 246 stop start battery you will see a motorcycle size battery which is 150x90x45mm and this is what I am looking for. The MB instructions you sent me (I have seen already) mention removing the bolts in the additional battery terminal and the tiny battery has push on terminals.

I may have confused you with the model. It is a 2016 W246 B 180 SE D Auto, I took the description from the last MB service sheet which was wrong. If I could work out how to post a photo on here I would send you a clear photo. Different MB models with Stop start seem to hide the battery(ies) under seats, Floors, trunk, side panels, I just cannot find mine!
Having spotted that all recent MB cars have a QR Code (Marked Rescue Card) on the Drivers door pillar, I scanned it. It did indeed show a diagram which listed Fuel tank, airbag and other major components. Both Batteries were listed as: On-board electrical system Battery and Additional battery for ECO Start-stop.

Though the diagram (shown looking down on the car) shows the steering wheel on the Left (on my car it is on the right) it shows the position of the large main battery to be under the hood on the left (looking forward) which is correct for my model. However, it shows Battery number2 (additional Battery for ECO Start/Stop as being on the opposite side to the main battery just to the right and below the centre video screen. A side view shows this second battery as being in line (at 2 O'clock) to the wheel hubcap, under the footwell. I have found the tiny 1.2 AHC battery in the passenger footwell (above the fuse panel in photo) but no joy with the other battery which measures 150x90x45mm.

Despite having the "treasure" map, I still cannot find the battery location. Interpreting the diagram, it would be where the foot pedals are located. I have removed the only cover in that area and pulled up the carpets as best I can. On the passenger side, unless it is buried under the fuse box panel I cannot see it or any cover that might be hiding it. I have seen other photos that show a stout red wire leading to it but I cannot see any such wire leading to it.

Trying not to get fixated with this but having spent 4 years as a vehicle mechanic and rebuilding 6 classic motorcycles from the ground up, it should not be impossible for me to find this da**ned battery. Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB 246 Rescue chart..jpg
Views:	351
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2483026   Click image for larger version

Name:	W246 Passenge footwell.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2483028  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

this how its look under my carpet.

sorry I don't know how to rotate it...

I wonder why yours look different.

is it because facelift and pre-facelift...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2483774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	2483776  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W246 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in