post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2014 B250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto View Post
I've always changed rotors and pads at the same time with our VWs. My mechanic said that the pads are much harder than they used to be, so the pad lasts much longer but it causes more wear on the rotor. I guess super-soft pads would wear the rotors less, but then the pads would be wearing out all the time.

I haven't changed brakes on the B250 yet.
This assessment of rotors and pads is so true. Yes rotors in the past lasted much longer with the soft asbestos pads which also picked up sand which stuck to the pads. You were also changing pads and turning rotors every 10000 miles or less. I will take pad and rotor change every 50,000 to 80,000 miles over the past. By the way my local MB dealer charged 1,100 for the brake work on my W245 B and a local garage wanted 1,400 to do the same work on my Ford Edge. So I don't know what the story is for work at the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: B250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So I finally had my brakes done. I bought pads and rotors at the MB dealership. It costs $400+ after tax (front only). Then brought it to a moonlighting toyota mechanic, he does them in his home garage. Charged me $50 only. Hey not bad eh?!
I didn't even bother to ask how much MB would have charged to do the work, I'm pretty sure I saved a bunch.

Brake job = can be done by a competent mechanic. It's pretty standard.
I'll save the dealership work to more advanced problems like electronic glitches and such.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Interesting thread. I've been scouring the B250 forums to help me make a decision on purchasing a B250. I didn't realize the B class won't be sold anymore. Also I had rear brakes done on our W164 . I had them done at a local indie I've used before. He explained that the rotors can't be turned since they are thin to start with. My cost for rear pads and rotors was $550 Can . I'm not sure of the dealer cost but i was told probably north of $1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2017 B250 4Matic
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don't think the B 200 or B250 uses some crazy brake system or parts that is wildly different from other manufacturers. I doubt they even make their own rotors. But to the topic: We had the front rotors and pads replaced on our 2008 B at 70,000 kms, (3 years ago) at a competent independent shop here in Vancouver. All in, with parts, including a wear sensor, and tax, the bill was $613.00. The car is now at about 90,000 kms and the rear pads are at 4mm, as they have been for years. I don't see a problem.

I think 2018 will be the last year for the current B250, and I don't think the replacement will be as useful a shape. The new A class certainly is much more ordinary in shape, as far as I can tell. We saw hundreds in Italy in Sept. Nice enough, but not as practical as the current B
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My indie uses Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 2014 Mercedes B250 (W246)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On my 2014 B250, I did front pads only at MB Downtown Toronto for about $350+Tax.

About a year and a half later, I felt vibration during braking and got the Rotors changed at an independent/ reputable MB Shop for $370 + Tax.

Net, if I was to do them at the same time (labour would've been reduced over doing it separately) I estimate it would've been ~$600...

PARTS cost from MB Etobicoke:
Pads = $109 for 2, $9.34 for Brake Sensor
Rotors = $122.50 Each

So about $354 for front parts + $250 for labour.

Weird thing is that I had to get my fronts replaced at around 40K or 4 years but my backs are still at 8mm (out of 9mm when new).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W246 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in