Extended warranty yes or no??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Extended warranty yes or no???

Newbie, glad to be here.

Just in the process of buying a used 2014 B250 with under 50K that still under warranty until late next year. I was offered an additional 2 years or up to 160,000 km warranty for $2000. Unfortunately I do a lot of miles and will be at that 160K mark before the extended warranty would even expire.

Just looking on whether or not I should bother with the extended warranty or trust the German engineering and save the $2K.

Your feedback is very appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2014 B250
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I bought my B250 MY2014 brand new and have about 60,000KM currently without any issues. I haven't heard much about reliability issues with the B250 on this forum,. seems mostly trouble free so far. With some warranties you can get some of the money back if you haven't used the warranty for anything, can you do that with the $2000 one your looking at? At least it's under warranty till next year so if there are any un-discovered issues with it you can get them sorted out without any cost to you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
No if I buy it the $2k is theirs. I traditionally have never bought an extended warranty for anything. The only reason I'm even considering it is that I put a ton of miles on my car (63k this year) and i don't know what to expect repair cost wise. I financed the car for 3 years and I expect that in 3 years I will be at about 200 to 220k so I will eclipse the km before the time covered. At the very least all major components will be covered for 2 1/2 years of it. So confused.... if it was $3k I definitely would have been out. But 1700 plus hst has me considering it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2014
Vehicle: B250 - W246 4matic- 2017 (previously owned 2013)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Simple answer: No.

But then again, I refused the MB's own windshield insurance when I traded in the old MB for a new 2017. Never had a windshield crack due to an errant rock flying up.... Two weeks breaking in the new 2017, a rock cracked my windshield with a foot long crack driving down the highway.

It is a tough call on the warranty, depends on what is covered.... also depends on whether the vehicle will incur more highway driven miles vs city driven.

one thing I do know I would do is to drain the oil with Merc 229.5 spec oil with a fleece oil filter, brake fluid and also the ATF with a new transmission filter (@ 60,000KM). Id even be apt to change the sparkies also not knowing the history of the vehicle (but @100 ,000km mark should be aok here).

The MBY 2014 is a solid vehicle and should perform well as long as you regularly maintain it (eg fluids, sparks, etc) and pump in shell nitro+ premium (I am a proponent for using no ethanol 91 octane (or higher) gasoline in DCT hi compression turbos ).

Also I am surprised you are not getting the MB star certified warranty for their used cars (assuming you are purchasing the vehicle from the dealer), which adds (I think) another 2 years to the OEM warranty.

Last edited by jkimchi; 12-27-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
You are absolutely correct. Thanks fir bringing me back to reality. I cancelled the extended warranty as I do have the star certified warranty till 120k and this would have been 40k for $2k nor a good deal. Like I said I do a lot of driving but it is all highway. Sure there will be additional regular maintenance but your right the reason I bought a Benz was because of the reliability so I should be relying on that.
I appreciate all of your feedback. I get the car tomorrow and I am really excited.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W246 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in