BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2015 B250 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Android Auto and Apple Carplay Retrofit

Hi all,

MB released a document(see attachment) that our NTG5.1 Command Online can be retrofitted with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Only 2016+ B class has this feature. I am just wondering if it is worth to do? Did anyone do this on your 2015 model? If so, how much does it cost?

I do have NAVI in my command online and I don't really think that I have missed much without Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Maybe I will not be able to see Whatsapp message popping up in my command display, or not able to talk to Siri or Okay Google. Does anyone have any idea how useful this is?

Also, your phone needs to connect to a physical USB cable in order to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Otherwise I can always leave my phone in my pocket and have less chance to forget taking the phone with me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf car-play.pdf (196.2 KB, 6905 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 2015 Mercedes B250 4Matic
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
The fact that you can't connect over bluetooth would be a deterrent for me. I never purchased the Command Online option anyway. I have base Audio 20 interface so I rely on iPhone 6 connectivity over bluetooth for hands-free calling and for navigation (SIRI / Apple Maps) and iPod connected over USB for music. Can't seem to get text messages to sync up and appear on the MB display like they used before the last iOS update. :-(
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2017
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Petition for CarPlay and Android Auto retrofitting

You can sign the online petition to request CarPlay and Android Auto retrofitting for old Mercedes-Benz cars:

https://www.change.org/p/carplay-and...edes-benz-cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2016
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used to see someone has the problem of listen to two different sources of audio (Radio/Bluetooth) at the same time when using android car radio. Use Bluetooth for your GPS app directions and run the Radio app in the background to listen to local radio stations at the same time, that way your smartphone handles the volumes of both things when necessary. It's said that it will use up mobile data to stream the radio stations but it may be the only way to get what you want.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: see signature
Had my '16 B250e in for battery check recently and had them add CarPlay/AndroidAuto. Was just under $300 installed, though I already had the hardware. Personally, I think it should have been there already as it is listed in the 2016 brochure with one of the packages my car has - but whatever. My husband has an iPhone and I have an Android, so I think it's cool to have. I don't know that I would make a special appointment just to add it, but if you're going to the dealer for something else, why not? Frankly, many of the features I can use without AndroidAuto simply by pressing the talk button long enough to activate Google assistant.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:07 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2019
Hello,

I have a 2016 Bclass(W246).
It does not have carplay. But as I have understood it is only about the SW, as the hardware in my car is already capable of carplay.

I asked my car dealer to update the SW and try to enable carplay. They did the SW update but were not able to enable carplay because the Sw update tool does not allows them to add on this function. Strange !! but that is what they said, and charged me 2500NOK (I live in Norway).

I have found some companies selling carplay activator module, which turns on a flag or something in the SW to enable carplay.
Example: http://m.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?pid=4&_sc=2& , https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-CO...-/262451909947 etc.

Have anyone had any experience with such a module?
Did it worked? Did it harmed the car in any way? Any experiece at all?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W246 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in