Weird cables under lighter box - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Breadford's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2006 B180
Location: Serbia
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammelvind View Post
Is the replacement bulb faulty?
Is there power to the bulb?
Is the fuse blown?
Does the bulb only light when the ambient light is low?
Does it only work when a particular circuit is operating?

Out with your multi meter you go, as well look in your handbook for operational features.
Firstly new bulb is correct, secondly idk if there is power to bulb and lastly I will check fuse tomorrow. Bulb is normal, not LED. It is supposed to work when ambient light is low.
MB•David likes this.
Breadford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Gammelvind's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 2008 B170
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadford View Post
Firstly new bulb is correct, secondly idk if there is power to bulb and lastly I will check fuse tomorrow. Bulb is normal, not LED. It is supposed to work when ambient light is low.
That’s good, just that it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had a new bulb that was faulty, bloody frustrating as everything else gets the blame as it’s “new”.
A very useful tool is a multimeter, $20 should get you one that shows voltage and resistance, ohms, not that I use it often for that but for showing an open circuit and for testing things like bulbs lol.
MB•David likes this.
Gammelvind is offline  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:04 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadford View Post
Firstly new bulb is correct, secondly idk if there is power to bulb and lastly I will check fuse tomorrow. Bulb is normal, not LED. It is supposed to work when ambient light is low.
Easy to check: unplug the power connector from the cigar lighter, it will have three pins - the middle one is for the ashtray light. Brown cable is ground.
Also check for corrosion - previous owner might have spilled some coffee there, etc.

David
MB•David is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Breadford's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2006 B180
Location: Serbia
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok. For this job, I used test lamp. When I connected ground with middle cabel, bulb didn’t light up. So I connected middle one with third cabel, and it worked.I had to change positions of brown and third one cabel in their socket (black plastic). It seems that this bulb is not so bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEF17BCB-098D-4060-A72B-C30EA9E881F0_1547061218662.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2479838   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE7BEF14-77B3-4E4A-BCC3-1B3113329136_1547061270323.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2479840   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE167D21-520B-4A04-A802-EBD2551A85C3_1547061302576.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2479842  
Breadford is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Hold on, are you saying you swapped polarity on your power socket plug?

I really wouldn't do that! Unless you're looking to fry whatever electric bits you're going to plug into it (or blew the fuse at the very least).

Ground must always be on the body and plus is at the bottom. Some gadgets can take reverse polarity, but many would not.

The ashtray bulb is powered by the blue/grey (positive) middle wire and the ground (negative) is [almost] always brown.
The black/green wire is power socket (cigar lighter) positive, coming via fuse 38 and it's 25A. Please do not re-pin this!!!

Maybe someone messed about with electrics in your car, prior to your ownership, as this all sounds weird.

David
MB•David is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Breadford's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2006 B180
Location: Serbia
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB•David View Post
Hold on, are you saying you swapped polarity on your power socket plug?

I really wouldn't do that! Unless you're looking to fry whatever electric bits you're going to plug into it (or blew the fuse at the very least).

Ground must always be on the body and plus is at the bottom. Some gadgets can take reverse polarity, but many would not.

The ashtray bulb is powered by the blue/grey (positive) middle wire and the ground (negative) is [almost] always brown.
The black/green wire is power socket (cigar lighter) positive, coming via fuse 38 and it's 25A. Please do not re-pin this!!!

Maybe someone messed about with electrics in your car, prior to your ownership, as this all sounds weird.
Ok, you are right. I'm going to return position of wires like it was before. But Idk why it's not working with ground wire. And i'm not so satisfied with brightnes.
MB•David likes this.
Breadford is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
The fact that it's working between the two positives, tells me there's a short somewhere, and also possibly a bad earth.

I would trace all three wires and ring them through, starting with the ground one.

Also check the fuse 38. A cheap voltage indicator, plugged into the power socket might be useful too.

The ground point for the front power socket (for the LHD car) is W37 - it is about 15-20cm off the floor on the front of the driver's door frame - see attached file.

Sometimes, when the water drains get blocked, water gets inside the cabin and rises to the ground point, which in turn gets badly corroded.
Check your drain points, and check your main ground points (I'll get the other files on W245 ground points in a moment).

As to the brightness of the T5 bulb - they really are not that bright, so perhaps an LED replacement is a good option.
Also, see if it is brighter, when tested on a bench - if it is, this would be a good indication that, there's a bad wiring somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W245 Location and assignment of ground points - interior left.pdf (78.7 KB, 13 views)
DEVOURS and Breadford like this.

David
MB•David is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:25 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Here's the rest of ground points files for the W245
Breadford likes this.

David
MB•David is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2006 B200T
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Have you ruled out that perhaps the light only comes on when the sensors sense darkness or the headlights are on, and perhaps it is not on or dark enough when you are testing it? Perhaps the way that it is wired only supplies voltage when certain conditions are met. I believe that the power socket will not supply power when the ignition is off. I also think that bulb will not light up unless the radio buttons and interior dash lights up.

Also, the light does not have to be bright, as it lights up a plastic ring around the powersocket. Just enough so that you know where the powersocket is in the dark.
vanctour is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Breadford's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2006 B180
Location: Serbia
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB•David View Post
The fact that it's working between the two positives, tells me there's a short somewhere, and also possibly a bad earth.

I would trace all three wires and ring them through, starting with the ground one.

Also check the fuse 38. A cheap voltage indicator, plugged into the power socket might be useful too.

The ground point for the front power socket (for the LHD car) is W37 - it is about 15-20cm off the floor on the front of the driver's door frame - see attached file.

Sometimes, when the water drains get blocked, water gets inside the cabin and rises to the ground point, which in turn gets badly corroded.
Check your drain points, and check your main ground points (I'll get the other files on W245 ground points in a moment).

As to the brightness of the T5 bulb - they really are not that bright, so perhaps an LED replacement is a good option.
Also, see if it is brighter, when tested on a bench - if it is, this would be a good indication that, there's a bad wiring somewhere.
. Fuse is ok. Ground point W37 seems ok to me, i have checked two under the hood ground spots too. I have sprayed them with WD40. I have spotted that wires are going somewhere on the passenger side. I suspect that it is W1/1 spot, but idk how to approach to that spot.
Breadford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome