Quick questions '09-'11 OEM Bluetooth Radio in an '08 - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
COMAND NTG2.5 was a very reliable, and very conservative (as in - outdated, but tried and tested tech), back in 2008.
Today it is simply a dinosaur.

My 9" Erisin has been working entirely trouble-free, for over 16 months now - as far as I am concerned, that's more than I expected, and makes it a great value for money.
I'll probably replace it, in another year and a half or so, just to get an updated spec unit.

David
MB•David is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DEVOURS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
Location: Lake in the woods... Canada
Posts: 7,440
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamikkakalu View Post
I broke maybe 6 of those retaining clips for the inner hatch door panel
Plastics are almost guaranteed to break in the cold..clips included. Work only in warm weather for the best results..

I've had my door panels off for speaker upgrades in the past and have never broken one clip..(yet)..


All plastics in our cars will get more brittle with age....and pieces will snap.. Oxygen and time and sometimes UV..it's a natural process unfortunately...
MB•David likes this.
DEVOURS is online now  
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DEVOURS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
Location: Lake in the woods... Canada
Posts: 7,440
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammelvind View Post
So true

You lot in Canada do seem to suffer rust issues far in excess to us in somewhat warmer climes, must be all that salt you throw around on your roads as versus us here in New Zealand where the salt is simply to shake onto our Fish and Chips

Damn..it's only mid-morning here on New Year's Eve and you're making me hungry and thirsty already...

I'll just head outside for a bit and scrape up a bit of that road salt to get the party started..
MB•David and Gammelvind like this.
DEVOURS is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:36 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
I have to retract my recommendation for a button-integrated reversing camera (see post #30).

After less than year-and-a-half, I had the cam going blank, on and off, and a boot/tailgate unlock problems for a day or two, and then it seized completely, and wouldn't open, and the cam was off.

I reached the manual override from inside the car, opened the tailgate and investigated the problem, initially suspecting a screenwash leak.

Turns out, the water got into the unlock button, and sneaked up to the wiring harness plug (not possible in the OE unlock button, as the pins are sealed), and the camera. Ran the diagnostic to confirm:



Removed the button assembly, cleaned the plug on the harness, and fitted the OE button in. Cleared the above error, and it didn't come back.

Took the integrated button apart, and this is what I saw:



This is really bad manufacturing quality - to fail a simple waterproof requirement like that.
The camera was damaged too - moisture got inside and destroyed the tiny PCB.

So I ordered a simple, metal-cased reversing camera, which required no modifications, other than a self-adhesive rubber pad:



Fitted this, between the button and the right mounting screw, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality:



Apologies - forgot to take a pic of the cam in situ - will do, once it stop raining (around July I hope).

David
MB•David is offline  
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Gammelvind's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 2008 B170
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB•David View Post
I have to retract my recommendation for a button-integrated reversing camera (see post #30).

After less than year-and-a-half, I had the cam going blank, on and off, and a boot/tailgate unlock problems for a day or two, and then it seized completely, and wouldn't open, and the cam was off.

I reached the manual override from inside the car, opened the tailgate and investigated the problem, initially suspecting a screenwash leak.

Turns out, the water got into the unlock button, and sneaked up to the wiring harness plug (not possible in the OE unlock button, as the pins are sealed), and the camera. Ran the diagnostic to confirm:



Removed the button assembly, cleaned the plug on the harness, and fitted the OE button in. Cleared the above error, and it didn't come back.

Took the integrated button apart, and this is what I saw:



This is really bad manufacturing quality - to fail a simple waterproof requirement like that.
The camera was damaged too - moisture got inside and destroyed the tiny PCB.

So I ordered a simple, metal-cased reversing camera, which required no modifications, other than a self-adhesive rubber pad:



Fitted this, between the button and the right mounting screw, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality:



Apologies - forgot to take a pic of the cam in situ - will do, once it stop raining (around July I hope).
Looking at that boot release switch, a know failure issue, confirms to me that the best Mercedes always to buy is the facelifted model, by that time those niggly dumb issues have been sorted. (Hopefully)

Nice image on your reverse camera, has anyone here had any experience with a wireless camera, there are some very reasonably priced ones available but no reviews from B owners.
MB•David and chamikkakalu like this.
Gammelvind is offline  
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammelvind View Post
Looking at that boot release switch, a know failure issue, confirms to me that the best Mercedes always to buy is the facelifted model, by that time those niggly dumb issues have been sorted. (Hopefully)
I have to make clear - the failed button, pictured above, is an aftermarket part, I do have a facelift tailgate handle retrofitted and the facelift OE button is great:



The pre-facelift OE button, on the other hand, was indeed a bit dodgy - it was just a rubber membrane and started to deteriorate around the seal, by the time I replace the handle.

For anyone looking into doing that, there's a wiring harness required for this retrofit, as the facelift got separate plugs for number plate lights and the unlock button.

Never tried wiriless reversing cam myself, but read about delays and connectivity problems reported by others, though admittedly quite a few years ago.
Gammelvind likes this.

David
MB•David is offline  
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Here's the new camera (and the OEM unlock button back in its place):



The tailgate handle still looks okay, I think ... after a quick wash and wipe

David
MB•David is offline  
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2017
Vehicle: 2006 B-200
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB•David View Post
Here's the new camera (and the OEM unlock button back in its place):



The tailgate handle still looks okay, I think ... after a quick wash and wipe
Could you give us the link to this camera for those looking to buy it too. TIA
Tho, I don't have the Erisin head unit yet. But, it is certainly on my wish list. Speaking of the head unit, could you play movies on it while driving?
MB•David likes this.
chamikkakalu is offline  
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamikkakalu View Post
Could you give us the link to this camera for those looking to buy it too. TIA
Tho, I don't have the Erisin head unit yet. But, it is certainly on my wish list. Speaking of the head unit, could you play movies on it while driving?
Certainly - I bought this one (Camera A; without Parking Lines):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...844587706.html

Haven't tried playing movies whilst driving, but I seem to remember there's an option to disable this restriction in the menu, so your passenger can watch a video on the move.

As long as we're talking about the head unit, and its features - I ordered a CarPlay dongle, and downloaded an app for it (AutoKit):



Will report on this, once the hardware is received and fitted
DEVOURS and chamikkakalu like this.

David
MB•David is offline  
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
MB•David's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Location: Bozeat, UK
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Well, the Apple CarPlay dongle is now installed and working perfectly.

I'll probably only ever use it on long journeys (so not often at all), but it's a nice gadget and as such a must


David
MB•David is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome