54K miles - Needs All New Rotors 10K after the Last Set? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
54K miles - Needs All New Rotors 10K after the Last Set?

Hi Everyone,

Brought my 2015 S550 (just purchased in August 2018 44K miles) into the dealer for its service. I am glad I prepurchased the maintenance X3. It was a certified preowned car with one owner.
All looked good on the carfax at the time of purchase. I noticed they had installed new brakes and rotors on all wheels and thought everything was good.

So, during this service I asked them to look at the brakes as the car was pulsing when coming to a stop. They did as requested and informed me they would be replacing all rotors again under warranty as they should not have needed to be replaced after they just installed new rotors only 10K miles ago (just prior to me purchasing the car).

So, my question to the group is - has anyone else had trouble with Mercedes brake rotors on the S550? Is this a common issue or an anomoly?

Regards,
MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Did they tell you that issue with the rotors? Did they warp? I can't imagine these calipers would be seizing up already resulting in excess heat warping the rotors. Not to mention you'd feel a sticking caliper as the car would pull you in one direction or another.

Seems like an anomaly to me. I'm sure the dealer used OEM parts, but I suppose it's not impossible for even those parts to have defects.

Luckily it's all being replaced under warranty, but I would definitely monitor it closely to make sure nothing else is amiss.

Do you do a lot of spirited driving? Lots of hard braking/accelerating?

I'm going to assume no, but it never hurts to ask!

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE
'51 Euro 170S
'15 G63 AMG
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8
'96 Ford F350 7.3 PSD

~Josh
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Too Many to List
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
This Stoptech / Centric technical white paper does a great job explaining the cause of brake pulsation, and how to avoid uneven pad material transfer and cementite formation after installing new rotors.
https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...c-8-2018_1.pdf

Here are our rotors for 2015 S550 RWD: https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...tor?s=d&page=1
And for the AWD model: https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...tor?s=d&page=1
Teutone likes this.

Visit the AutohausAZ Vendor Section for special pricing for Benzworld members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0benstefa1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Brought my 2015 S550 (just purchased in August 2018 44K miles) into the dealer for its service. I am glad I prepurchased the maintenance X3. It was a certified preowned car with one owner.
All looked good on the carfax at the time of purchase. I noticed they had installed new brakes and rotors on all wheels and thought everything was good.

So, during this service I asked them to look at the brakes as the car was pulsing when coming to a stop. They did as requested and informed me they would be replacing all rotors again under warranty as they should not have needed to be replaced after they just installed new rotors only 10K miles ago (just prior to me purchasing the car).

So, my question to the group is - has anyone else had trouble with Mercedes brake rotors on the S550? Is this a common issue or an anomoly?

Regards,
MM
Welcome to the forum.
Please click 'User CP' top right to complete your profile with car mod and location (at least State or Country. With W222 at least you are in the right forum).
Mercedes Benz made different versions of same model cars for different parts of the world. On a international forum, the inclusion of your car model/chassis helps elicit responses from members when advice is needed, location helps to make that information relevant to you.
Cheers
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ALL

Thank you for the help and information. I had no idea there was so much going on with brake pads and brakes in general. To answer a question about spirited driving. In Houston its hard to find a location to
large enough to drive in an aggressive manor.

The exception would be on a long empty highway in West Texas were one might exceed he 85 MPH limit..

Also, I have updated my profile. Thank youfor the great discussion and information/help.

Regards,
MM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Ah, yes, Houston appears to always be bumper-to-bumper these days no matter the time of day.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE
'51 Euro 170S
'15 G63 AMG
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8
'96 Ford F350 7.3 PSD

~Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W222 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in