Urgghh!! My drivers low beam is not working after replacing the bulb - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1981 380SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi There:

Thank you for responding. If you would kindly forward the complete disconnect instructions that would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I was provided the name of a Mercedes repair "guy" about 20 mins north of me by the dealer who sold me the car, but when I called him about this repair, he did not seem like he was jumping at the opportunity to diagnose and fix the headlight issue. He was like we well you have to leave me the car so I can find out what's wrong and then I have to order parts. He did confirm he would have to remove the bumper to access the headlight.

I just don't have the time or an extra vehicle to leave my car for a week or more sitting in his shop with the bumper and headlight removed. I also don't want to do something unplanned which results in my dash warning lights going bezerk.

Hopefully I can educate myself and some other members on this potentially expensive repair so we can keep our cars functioning properly with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfvesquire View Post
Thank you for responding. If you would kindly forward the complete disconnect instructions that would be greatly appreciated.
You bet, glad to help. I need to get home so it will be later this evening, but you would at least have it before the weekend. If anyone else posts them before me that's cool too, I'm not proud.

Thanks also for taking the time to document your experiences, lots to be learned here.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Looks like our friend konigstiger already answered the bumper removal instructions question in this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post6470473

Shortcut to the workshop manuals mentioned;

https://workshop-manuals.com/mercede...es/page_19577/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So now I am getting a little nervous about my headlight repair since I am brand new to the W221 model and all its sensors and warnings.

If you read my original thread this all began just a few short weeks after I bought my car. I was fully aware the car had been side swiped on the left side which more than likely damaged the seal on the drivers headlight.

So either due to the prior damage or my over washing on my brand new car, moisture got into the headlight and caused one or more of the ballasts to fail.

The warning I got last week was left low beam out followed by active headlights inoperative or something to that effect. I also received the left cornering light out too. For the next 3 to 4 days following, those 3 warnings continued to pop up on the dash and then one day they didn't.

A visual inspection of the left low beam shows it cocked at slight angle towards the grill I stead of pointing straight out.

I'm sure I'm paranoid that the active headlight motor has now crapped out as well but can someone inform me whether the active headlight motor is controlled by the low beam turning on? Ie: since my low beam has malfunctioned requiring a ballast or 2 to be replaced, this has disconnected the active headlights so I am not getting any more warnings?

I understand there are separate fuses for each headlight and I have not checked the left headlight fuse. However as I stated above everything else works on the left headlight so I would assume the fuse is good too.

Worst case scenario the moisture that got inside the headlight that zapped the low beam ballast has also affected the active headlight motor what can be done to fix that without tearing it apart? The motor still can be moved so it's not locked up.

I really don't want to be pulling the bumper cover off again and the headlight after I put everything back togeyher and it doesnt work properly.

Someone please put my mind at ease and tell me it's going to be alright!!!

Ted
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
As far as I know, the headlight motor controls only the low beam. The link to the Intelligent Lighting System in your fog lamp thread (https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9904861) indicates the low beam is moved side to side to better illuminate roadside, and lowers for better fog lighting. No other lights are mentioned as moving in that fashion. The high beams switch on or off automatically if set to do so, but they don't move. The turn assist lamp is a stationary bulb in each cluster. From that one could conclude that the motor only affects the low beam.

As to fuses, there are two "active light fuses" which may supply only the controller for ILS system (26 and 27 in the left side engine compartment fuse panel per my North American MY 2010 diagram). There are three fuses for the "exterior lamp switch" - (45, 135, and 142 on the North American diagram, one in the engine compartment, two in the trunk) but I don't know if pulling all of them will give you the shock protection you need. One of the videos I provided was emphatic about disconnecting the battery. I do not know if, like the W220, the main power to the headlamps is routed via an electronic fuse located in the SAM. Be sure to check your own fuse diagram, since the North American 2010 layout may not match your car. Still, it may save a lot of effort if the problem is a fuse.

A fuse? Yes, I know - we should be so lucky!
dlafever likes this.

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-25-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok not sure how the discussion about missing plug ends to a radar system became part of this thread but I would suggest sending members a PM to request things outside of what the original thread was designed for which is to diagnose and hopefully fix the low beam out function of these intelligent lights. 🙂

That said, I hope that member has found the part he needs. Funds the missing radar module he needs so he can drive 160 and piss off the state troopers without getting caught. Unfortunately it was too cold and snowy.for me to crawl around my car with my camera so I did not take any photos and I was able to get the left headlight out without removing the entire front bumper.

Since this was a detailed and somewhat complicated retrieval and repair involving 2 installs I prefer typing on my computer rather than my phone. I'll post more later today.

Ted
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You are correct about the topic change, Ted. The posts relevant to another issue, connectors to sensors in the bumper, have been removed and relocated HERE.

Not sure we need to speculate about others' motives, though.
Attached Images

dlafever likes this.

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-29-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Detailed write up. Fixed the intelligent lighting problem?

** UPDATE **

Ok all. I started to post my results using my phone, but quickly tired or dancing all over my tiny phone keyboard. I wanted to post my process, findings, head-up and end results. First off, depending on whether you need to remove one or both headlights, I was able to remove the left headlight without completely removing the whole bumper. This is significant because on the left wheel well, whoever installed the bumper used the factory push/pull pins and clips. Easy on, easy off. However, on the right side, someone used those POS phillips head screw in pins and clips which are a complete b&itch to remove. They always strip out and unless you drill them out, therefore ruining the clips your project takes a screeching halt!! By removing the two 10mm bolts on each side of the grill, the two 10 mm bolts located thru the lower grill and all the fasteners on the left side, the bumper was able to be carefully pivoted out far enough to unbolt the headlight and pull it free.

TIP No1:

Please keep in mind there are shims located under the two upper grill bolts that are to alight the bumper, grill and hood lip. They will come flying out if you just grab the bumper and pull it free from the core support. Make you put all the shims in the proper place upon reinstallation. Also, since your bumper may still be connected on one side, you need to create a support to hold up the loose bumper end at the same level as the secured end. I used the handle of my leaf blower carefully balanced under the center left portion of the lower bumper lip. Kepp in mind it will go flying off that if you bump it and you run the risk of cracking your paint or worse, cracking the bumper.

REMOVING THE HEADLIGHT

After unplugging the LED fog lamp, the amber corner light and the ambient temp sensor, you are ready to swing the bumper out just far enough to remove the headlight. 2 8mm bolts on the top and a 27 torx bit on the side is all that secures the headlight in place. Carefully disconnect the harness plug and before you just unclip that pesky headlight washer nozzle read tip no 2!!

TIP No. 2: HEADLIGHT WASHER HOSE

For those of you who have ever messed with this part, what I'm about to tell you is no news to you. But for those like me who have never dealt with this I'm going to try and save other members the headache I dealt with after I pull this hose off. First of all, get yourself either a decent hose pinch clamp to stop the flow of washer fluid or in my case, grab a latex glove, insert the end of the hose into one of the fingers and tie off the top with some makeshift tournequit. Otherwise, you will have a never-ending geyser of washer fluid flowing from this hose making a mess exactly where you need to stick your head to and body to do this repair. After nearly draining my entire washer tank of fluid while I rigged up something to stop the flow and cussing repaeatedly, I got the flow down a small drip and pressed on. Also, DO NOT LOSE THE HOSE CLIP!!. Be careful when you are removing it because it will fly out of your hands and disappear. If you don't have this clip (good luck finding one at your local auto parts store) your headlight washer hose will not stay attached and you will end up draining your washer tank as fast as you can fill it up. So now, your project is being held hostage by a $.05 plastic clip!!

Got to get back to my work so I will post more later today!!

Ted

Last edited by tfvesquire; 04-29-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2019
Vehicle: 2008 CL 600
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
" Funds the missing radar module he needs so he can drive 160 and piss off the state troopers without getting caught. "

I am not trying to fund anything, just trying to find the missing connector's part number which I did thanks to elite members who really care about helping others not just themselves. How could I piss off state troopers if I don't get caught ? This don't make any sense. Someone can't be pissed off if they don't know something happened. If you read anything I wrote then you would see my problem has nothing to do with wanting to drive fast. Some idiot millionaire who bought the V12 biturbo brand new installed a K40 radar laser detector in the car and then removed it before he sold the car so now my wires are not connected anymore. My problem is that my Distronic Plus and Radar Sensors don't work anymore now. I am not trying to re install the K40 radar laser detector. I have no use for such useless device. I have Eagle vision, I can see any cop even at night time anywhere I go and I don't need to ever speed anyway I am not a kid I drive a V12 biturbo 600 Benz for the status it brings me not to drive fast and race people. If I wanted to drive fast or race people I would of got a CL65 AMG. I live in Vancouver, the city with the highest gas prices in all of North America paying 2 dollars a litre right now so driving fast and racing people is not what I do.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
WOW, so many little things can add up to some major frustration! I can truly relate as so many times fixing Mercedes after someone else 'fixed' them is just sad and troubling.

Glad you are able to get the bumper to where you can remove the headlight assembly!

Also interesting about the shims, I don't recall shims on mine but I don't have the new new hotness of the facelifted model.

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W221 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in