LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lexus LS430 owner thinking hard about 2013 S550

All, good morning. I guess I am a loyal Lexus fan. I am on my second LS. I currently have an 2004 LS430 with 244,000 miles on the clock. It is time for a new car even though the LS430 is still running fine. I was pretty much considering a 2013 LS460, but have been a little hesitant because the body styling of the LS460 is boring and uninspiring. On the other hand I have lusted after a MB S class. I love the styling with the flared / muscular rear side panels. Anyway I noticed that I can buy 2013 S550 for roughly the same price as a LS460, which surprised me. I have previously shied away from pre-owned MB because of purchase cost and the "horror" stories regarding maintenance. However with a 2013 S550 in the same price range (as ls460) with 50K miles, I wonder if now is the time. I have taken good care of my LS430, most of it's service has been with the dealers. If I get a 2013 S550, with an extended warranty plan can I expect to put 10 years 150,000 plus miles on it and remain financially solvent? I'd appreciate thoughts of S class owner that have had their car for quite a while and put lots of miles on the beast. I have read the thread regarding high mileage owners, which does not seem to be many, which gives me some pause for concern. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2008 e350 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS430 View Post
All, good morning. I guess I am a loyal Lexus fan. I am on my second LS. I currently have an 2004 LS430 with 244,000 miles on the clock. It is time for a new car even though the LS430 is still running fine. I was pretty much considering a 2013 LS460, but have been a little hesitant because the body styling of the LS460 is boring and uninspiring. On the other hand I have lusted after a MB S class. I love the styling with the flared / muscular rear side panels. Anyway I noticed that I can buy 2013 S550 for roughly the same price as a LS460, which surprised me. I have previously shied away from pre-owned MB because of purchase cost and the "horror" stories regarding maintenance. However with a 2013 S550 in the same price range (as ls460) with 50K miles, I wonder if now is the time. I have taken good care of my LS430, most of it's service has been with the dealers. If I get a 2013 S550, with an extended warranty plan can I expect to put 10 years 150,000 plus miles on it and remain financially solvent? I'd appreciate thoughts of S class owner that have had their car for quite a while and put lots of miles on the beast. I have read the thread regarding high mileage owners, which does not seem to be many, which gives me some pause for concern. Thoughts?
I considered the era Lexus that you are driving and I had a 2007 ES350 for a while. Lexus is comfortable, quiet driving that is reasonably reliable. The Mercedes offers all of that with a more inspired driving sensation. Look for 2012 to 2013 models. A 13' I think may still be CPO and look for the best exclusionary Warranty you can find. There are so many out there. Most dealers will offer them. Just do your homework on them before hand and shop around yourself. You absolutely need coverage for a car like the S class.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:54 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I have a '13 S550, and love it. I did buy it CPO.

The bi-turbo engine is wonderful, and the whole car has been great. I definitely love the driver assist package (lane keeping, blind spot, and for long trips, Distronic Plus).

I have not had it for a long time (it has only been out since MY '07); I am approaching a year, now. I loved the MY '10 I had before, but traded it only to get the driver assist package my particular '10 lacked.

More at post 27, https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...pros-cons.html. Also, reliability of the W221 has been far better than its predecessor, the W220, which suffered in quality during model years 2000-2002.
The Thomas J likes this.

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W221 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in