LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ABC lines/hoses

Why do these ABC cars have an excessive amount of rubber hydralic hoses engineered into them? There should only be one flexible high pressure hose between pump and the car the rest of the system could be all hardline, there isn't enough flex in these cars to warrant so many rubber sections. It like an engineered in weak point. I own two s55's and although I haven't had any hose failures yet I know they're coming and I am considering fabricating hardline replacements for the rubber sections or possibly the whole line. Not too difficult we did race cars entirely with hard line. Look at any heavy equipment or industrial hydralic systems there are only rubber hose between flexible sections of equipment you hardly see any hardline failures. Something else that bugs me is Mercedes has a sensor for every damn part of these cars except a ABC fluid level sensor. How hard would it be to incorporate a oil lever sensor like what is in oil pan so action could be taken in event of fluid loss so pump doesn't die. I'm working on that idea also I'll let you know how that works out. What are your thoughts?
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Hose failures aren’t that common to warrant the expense of hardline fabrication , as most people don’t have easy /cheap access to hardline fab like you do .

As soon as a hose bursts or fluid gets low you will start getting abc warning messages . The warning comes From the drop in pressure not from a level sensor
Dave2302 likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2006 S600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
There are about 25 flexible ABC hoses, and yes, they're all weak points. The tragedy is that they're not serviceable, like flexible brake hoses.

Part of the reason is to take stress out of the lines, and part of the reason is for noise and vibration reduction. ABC would be noisier without them. That's hydraulics for you.

I agree about the reservoir level sensor, considering how much more important that is than say, the washer fluid level.

Nick
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
The hoses are “serviceable” by a good hydraulics /forklift repair shop. They can rebuild the hoses much cheaper than buying new from Mercedes
Dave2302 and Fried Chicken like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Indeed.

It was me that invented that procedure.

Nick
Dave2302 likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:43 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post
Indeed.

It was me that invented that procedure.

Nick

I'm not so certain about that, but you were certainly the first one that I saw on here who had done it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

In every other application of hydraulics, hoses are designed to be replaced as a matter of routine. It's only MB that doesn't get that. Compression joints have been used in hydraulics for a long time, but I don't think anyone else had used them on ABC to replace non-serviceable hoses before.

I won't take credit for anyone else's work, so if someone else beat me to it, then great, but I searched & found nothing, and it is an original idea.
I THINK I'm also the first person to use an engine radiator as a charge cooler heat exchanger (though I wasn't the first to have that idea).
I believe I'm also the first person to use an electric engine cooling pump for charge cooling.
The first to use a customised programmable thermostatic pump controller.
Oh, and a swirl pot on the V12TT engine.
And 390mm front brakes on an S600.
And a fix to the strut top bush problem that actually works.
And the first to use rear wheels at the front - now that's something that EVERYONE should do.

That will be the last time I big myself up. It doesn't come naturally, and I'm going to sell my Mercedes and buy an Audi now.

Nick

Last edited by welwynnick; 07-21-2019 at 12:59 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick,

Chill, I was only joking with you, I do hope you realise that, there was absolutely no offence intended

You'll regret having an Audi over a Merc LOL, all the VAG stuff these days is just a ticking time bomb

Cheers,

Dave

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Yeah, but Mercedes rust!

People write about terrible experiences they have with ALL cars, and if you believed it all you'd never buy anything but a Toyota.

I was about to say that's not me, but I do actually own a Toyota, just not a very typical Toyota. It did have a ticking time bomb that went off.

Anyhow, I've owned 25 cars, and they all have things wrong with them. Recently though, I got a 2011 Passatt TDI for commuting, and it's been quite a revelation. It feels like it's been really well engineered, developed and built. I'm impressed and have a lot of confidence in it, and on the basis of that experience, I've decided to get an Audi for my weekend car. I'm going to miss what ABC can do though. The Audi has DRC, and it's just not real McCoy, regardless of what the marketing says.

Nick
Dave2302 likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
yea you will get a error message after the pressure drops then your brain has to react and by then your tandem abc pump is toast so a level sensor in the reservoir would give you a few extra seconds to act in event of rapid fluid loss like when hose blows traveling at highway speeds. so if there are 10 hose assemblies on abc cars that have potential to rupture with age, they all pretty much see the same pressure and age at same rate and wipe out pump every time so if you plan on keeping these abc cars maintained and working as they were designed as i plan too, then upgraded hoses (not just replaced) would be worth researching the possibilities and adding a sensor to the reservoir would be fairly easy at least for a die hard mercedes owner like myself. did i mention i love my s55's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in