Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I am DUMBO ... A warning to others :(

Hello Guys,

Very sore (but extremely lucky not to be in hospital right now) from Inverinate NW Scotland here

OK, so throughout my whole life I have always drummed into apprentices the IMPORTANCE of making certain an Auto Trans Car is in NEUTRAL or PARK !!

So, I had had a really good morning, the guy with the V12 CL has just come and settled his bill for £1000's and I've done all today's work by lunchtime

Before I head to the bank and pay all the much needed money in, I'm thinking to myself I'll just rearrange the Cars outside, stick the W220 parts car on the lift and start ripping it to bits tomorrow, so I'll do that before I head off to the bank and get a couple of well earned beers on the way back at lunchtime

So as per usual, I pull the car into the workshop, and stop short of the lift post, open the door and get out, ready to push it forward so I can put the lift legs under and stick it up in the air, I have selected Neutral (so I think), as I get out, my wallet with all the payments from customers in it falls out down onto the front passenger (left) seat .....................

Realising this, (now it gets sketchy because absolute panic and shock took over), but I think I kinda put my left leg in the car so I could bend over the console and retrieve my wallet, at which point I hit the throttle, (floored), so I'm now hanging outta the door and the Car takes off like a scalded Cat ............................

All I can remember is the door hitting the lift post and smashing my right leg between it and the sill, and the door top hitting my right shoulder and a thump on my right elbow, next thing I realise I'm sat in the Car head over the passenger side and left foot smashed hard on the brake pedal, car is now Idling, and a whole heap of destroyed workshop stuff around me, looks like a nuclear bomb has exploded !!

After the lift post the door then has a second go at demolishing me as we go through the bricked opening into the rear half of the Workshop

How the hell me and the car didn't end up through the back wall and across the back garden, over the cliff top and into the loch I simply don't know ......................

Pics below are the Carnage, the second pic shows the dent in the back door where (I think) my elbow hit it, presumably the lift post pushed my right arm backwards into it .........................

A lot of pain from badly bruised and aching soft tissues, but thankfully, (and I don't honestly know how), but no broken bones, just a lot of bruises, and a very swollen lower leg !!

I'll sort out the Carnage tomorrow, the back half of the workshop needed tidying up anyway and most of the stuff that got damaged will now be skipped ...................

Guess I need a new Gas Space Heater before the winter, I've barely used the petrol Pressure Washer, so I don't think I'll bother replacing it, we now pay a Gardener, so no point fixing Mels Mower, the thing I am most upset about is the R170 Rear Screen / Roof Panel which was completely rust free and bought recently to go on my SLK after the V8 Conversion, when I get to sorting all it's paintwork

RIGHT ........................ LESSON HERE FELLAS .......................

MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOUR CAR IS IN NEUTRAL OR PARK BEFORE GETTING OUT OF THE FU*[email protected]

Pics ..................

Cheers for now,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-26-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Omg ! Glad you were not seriously hurt . Like you said It was destined to be a parts car .

Perhaps another rule is make sure the car is turned off , in addition to being in park. Then it can’t accelerate .
ms_irreverent and Dave2302 like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1998 e430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
thanks for sharing this, i couldn't bring myself to use the "like" button though...

just goes to show, it can happen to any of us in a moment of carelessness...

heal up quick!
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Damn, Dave! When you go big... You go big!
I'm very glad you weren't permanently mauled and that no one else was hurt!
As we get older it becomes more and more important that we be mindful of our mental presence in each moment.
This has been a personal struggle of mine for decades.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Good advice.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave2302 likes this.

Skippy,
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1999 S430, Jaguar XJ-SC V12, Jaguar MK2, JaguarS-Type
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, you the man Dave. Hope its not too painful.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
ouch!!! Good reminder to all! Glad nothing irremediable happened to you, plastic and metal can be always repaired by money.
Dave2302 likes this.

-Do not try this at home -
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the kind comments.

The car was definitely still in D, the first thing to go in through the Drivers door was my left leg, which I thought I was planting on the floor under the Brake, but in actual fact I mashed the Throttle and it took off instantly.

I have to leave the bigger Cars in Neutral and get out then push them forward with window down and door shut because my lift was narrowed by 12" when I first installed it waaaaay back, so it fitted in the building, been doing this for years, but yeah, in future, select N then switch off engine

Very very sore today, bruises are coming out, I'm just in the Workshop now, sifting through the Carnage, I've got a bunch of work next week so got to get it sorted before Monday, I just know tomorrow my leg, shoulder and neck will be even stiffer !!

The only other casualty was one of my 2 my SDS Laptop, the original 2014 one I bought, but it looks like a screen and lid swap will hopefully sort it, and I still have a few Dells unused in the loft from my last job lot EBay purchase :

Slightly spooky (ish), but it's kind of like this old S Class knew I was gonna start stripping it for bits and tried to escape .......................

"Christine" is it's name now !!

If ever there was any doubt I might have put the V6 from my R170 in that Car, and resurrected / sold it, that doubt is now completely gone !!

I will take great delight in stripping it of all good parts and fragg the rest ..........................

It is 101% now destined to be Baked Bean cans for sure !!

The best thing out of all this is that it wasn't any of our good Cars, or even worse still a customers Car !!

The saddest thing is I now only have one good spare W220 Door (left rear) and my spare and mint SLK Rear Roof Panel / Rear Screen was also a casualty

Cheers for now guys,

Dave

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: S500 4Matic 2005
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Dave,
Glad to hear you are OK bud!! It could have been a lot worse unfortunately. We all been careless one moment or another so it happens. Just keep icing and chill out for a few days just to let everything heal. ( you probably are not going to anyways )
Dave2302 likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E430; 2005 ML500
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Sorry about your pain, but glad you kept all your limbs. I too had an incident that reminds me to always triple-check the gear position before pushing pedals or releasing the clutch.

I was conducting an inventory count of a yard full of brand new W163s (M-classes) together with an intern from the former East Germany. It was cold so we took a car and alternated who walked down the row and read off VIN numbers. I gave the intern a shot at driving, and when he was done he just stepped out of the car (he had never driven an automatic, but didn’t say anything). The car was in D and starts heading toward a row of brand new cars; I saw my job flash before my eyes. Without thinking, I dove for the brake pedal and pushed with my hand. The car stopped just as the door contacted the bumper of a new car and started to close on me. I saved my job, but ruined my weekend as I realized how close I had come to being squished or chopped in half.
ms_irreverent and Dave2302 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in