Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes S600, 2002 S500, 2001 BMW 750IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
Drill two small holes in the lower most left and right rear corners of your trunk where the battery and. C D changer sit so that water cannot build up

This is exactly what I did so water cannot build up. The trunks are sealed completely tight. I’m also thinking of drilling more under the back seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
"...I’m also thinking of drilling more under the back seat."

Should not be necessary, if you just keep the drain in the HVAC plenum clear, and/or drill a hole in the side of the plenum as suggested by Mercedes Benz. The rear seat drains will also not prevent water damage - the main power leads and some primary (high amperage) fuses are in the channels in the floor where the water from the plenum overflows.
Dave2302 likes this.

Wally
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

The Trunk is not sealed completely tight, there are 2 rubber bungs with small (4mm ?) drain holes in them, but no one ever cleans them out and they become blocked, that's why I say pull em out of the hole they sit in, then you have a larger (12mm ?) drain hole that doesn't need as much clearing out !!

Or, just spend a half hour to hour once a month / 3 months (depending how often and near to trees your Car is left), and go round and clean 'em all out

As @wallyp says, MB actually recommend drilling the Heater Plenum, (probably since the USA Class action against them for FUBAR Electronics due to this issue)

HTH,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyp View Post
"...I’m also thinking of drilling more under the back seat."

Should not be necessary, if you just keep the drain in the HVAC plenum clear, and/or drill a hole in the side of the plenum as suggested by Mercedes Benz. The rear seat drains will also not prevent water damage - the main power leads and some primary (high amperage) fuses are in the channels in the floor where the water from the plenum overflows.

WallyP I swear I was thinking to drill out under neath the passenger seat. I just don’t want water collecting anywhere in the car.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

The Trunk is not sealed completely tight, there are 2 rubber bungs with small (4mm ?) drain holes in them, but no one ever cleans them out and they become blocked, that's why I say pull em out of the hole they sit in, then you have a larger (12mm ?) drain hole that doesn't need as much clearing out !!

Or, just spend a half hour to hour once a month / 3 months (depending how often and near to trees your Car is left), and go round and clean 'em all out

As @wallyp says, MB actually recommend drilling the Heater Plenum, (probably since the USA Class action against them for FUBAR Electronics due to this issue) [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

HTH,
Heater plenum? Under the seat?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
No not under the seat, the plastic reservoir under the windshield that fills with water. During the recall the Mercedes suggestion was to drill a hole in the side of that plastic reservoir so that water could not accumulate and would dump out in the engine bay
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in