LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 1997 E420, 1999 E320, 2002 S600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy AC not cooling in my 2002 S600...

Hi guys, I recently traded my 2002 S430 for this 2002 S600, so I have no service records or prior experience with the car.

The AC wouldn't cool when traded for it, the "AC OFF" button lit and unresponsive. I scanned and erased everything with my scan tool, and through the ACC just in case.

Prior to this, the previous owner told me that it just needed refrigerant, but I couldn't because the can of refrigerant I had marked that the pressure was too high. I'm guessing because the compressor wasn't cycling.

I checked again after erasing everything and letting the car do it's thing, and this time the can marked that it was low on refrigerant, so I went through the procedure and filled her up.

Next morning I took the car to work, the AC cooling ice cold, but then it quit on me while in line at a drive through. The windshield fogged up a little bit, picked up the slight smell of burnt rubber or plastic, but I was at a drive through, so I don't know if it came from my car

Anyway, I checked the ACC for DTCs and code 1298 came up. I googled it,

B1298
Evaporator Core Temperature Sensor, Rear Passenger Compartment (B10/6).

Could this really be the cause? I have two sets of actual values that I recorded at night before I did anything and another in the morning after the AC quit cooling again. If they're helpful let me know which ones.

I'm a total scrub still, so I don't know what to do next...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Sounds like your AC clutch burned up
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes S600, 2002 S500, 2001 BMW 750IL
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Destroyer View Post
Hi guys, I recently traded my 2002 S430 for this 2002 S600, so I have no service records or prior experience with the car.

The AC wouldn't cool when traded for it, the "AC OFF" button lit and unresponsive. I scanned and erased everything with my scan tool, and through the ACC just in case.

Prior to this, the previous owner told me that it just needed refrigerant, but I couldn't because the can of refrigerant I had marked that the pressure was too high. I'm guessing because the compressor wasn't cycling.

I checked again after erasing everything and letting the car do it's thing, and this time the can marked that it was low on refrigerant, so I went through the procedure and filled her up.

Next morning I took the car to work, the AC cooling ice cold, but then it quit on me while in line at a drive through. The windshield fogged up a little bit, picked up the slight smell of burnt rubber or plastic, but I was at a drive through, so I don't know if it came from my car [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]

Anyway, I checked the ACC for DTCs and code 1298 came up. I googled it,

B1298
Evaporator Core Temperature Sensor, Rear Passenger Compartment (B10/6).

Could this really be the cause? I have two sets of actual values that I recorded at night before I did anything and another in the morning after the AC quit cooling again. If they're helpful let me know which ones.

I'm a total scrub still, so I don't know what to do next...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
What tool are you using to scan with?
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

As above post !!

That's easy, change the B10/6 Sensor, reset codes try again

If you didn't use SDS there may be other Codes !!

HTH,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
In my C219 evaporator sensor code appeared to be half empty refrigerant...

-Do not try this at home -
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrphlly View Post
What tool are you using to scan with?
It's a FOXWELL NT520 PRO,

FOXWELL OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner NT520 PRO for Mercedes vehicles incl. Multiplexer 38 PIN connector/adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJY4V6X..._WKQaDbH8151MD

I bought it last week, needed something better than my cheap Bluetooth scanner lol Also, it came with a proper 38 pin adapter for my older E320 and E420.

Definitely not SDS, had to Google what that was... Price is a little steep for me currently as DIY college student... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

As above post !!

That's easy, change the B10/6 Sensor, reset codes try again

If you didn't use SDS there may be other Codes !!

HTH,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersum1es View Post
In my C219 evaporator sensor code appeared to be half empty refrigerant...
That may be part of the problem guys, but yesterday afternoon the front side and center vents wouldnt blow any air. I had the AC on LO/LO and max fan. The rear vents did blow air though, and it wasn't until I pressed both auto knobs in and the AC going into max cooling setting that the front vents started to work, but then I started to notice white smoke coming out of out from under the hood by the steering wheel, so I turned the AC off and haven't used it since. By the time I opened the hood the smoke had dissipated.

I'll check the ACC for codes later today, and I hope there is, because I have no idea what that smoke was about.

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Problem is using that Foxwell if it says "No Codes" you simply don't know whether there is or isn't.

I guarantee you it will (at very best) only see 80% of codes in 80% of modules, probably less

For an extra $200 you could have bought SDS, less if you had bought just a mux and leads and used a second hand Dell and loaded the s/w yourself.

Quote:-

That may be part of the problem guys, but yesterday afternoon the front side and center vents wouldnt blow any air. I had the AC on LO/LO and max fan. The rear vents did blow air though, and it wasn't until I pressed both auto knobs in and the AC going into max cooling setting that the front vents started to work, but then I started to notice white smoke coming out of out from under the hood by the steering wheel, so I turned the AC off and haven't used it since. By the time I opened the hood the smoke had dissipated.

I'll check the ACC for codes later today, and I hope there is, because I have no idea what that smoke was about.

Your statements there say it all, you are guessing, because you cannot conclude with the info you are getting !!

Guessing on any MB system is a recipe for wasting your time and money, not actually fixing anything and becoming frustrated with the Car.

I am sorry I cannot help you with your problem, but until we actually know exactly what codes and live data are, perhaps run guided testing, no one can be absolutely certain

HTH,

Dave

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

Problem is using that Foxwell if it says "No Codes" you simply don't know whether there is or isn't.

I guarantee you it will (at very best) only see 80% of codes in 80% of modules, probably less

For an extra $200 you could have bought SDS, less if you had bought just a mux and leads and used a second hand Dell and loaded the s/w yourself.

Quote:-

Your statements there say it all, you are guessing, because you cannot conclude with the info you are getting !!

Guessing on any MB system is a recipe for wasting your time and money, not actually fixing anything and becoming frustrated with the Car.

I am sorry I cannot help you with your problem, but until we actually know exactly what codes and live data are, perhaps run guided testing, no one can be absolutely certain

HTH,
Man, I need a drink... I thought that I would at least be able to enjoy my summer after a very difficult spring term and series of final exams... but now I'm feeling overwhelmed, and the same sense of dread over car problems... It's like all our cars have conspired to ruin my summer... The Mini Cooper decided to start having misfires, my E420 keeps saying there's something up with one of its O2 sensors even though I have already replaced it. As a result, the tags are about to expire because it can't pass the smog check. My little brother's E320 decided it wants a new conductor plate and an alternator/voltage regulator. Then there's the S600, something in the AC decided to let go of the magic smoke, with summer just over the horizon. Just looking at it intimidates me much like S430 I had before. Far more complicated than the old Tahoe, Mini and W210 mercs we have.

Why am I shouldering this you ask? Well I got a little too overconfident after I decided to personally maintain our cars. Oil changes, some body work, a few successful trips to the salvage yards, and subsequent repairs had me feeling good, so I spent all of my saved money and transformed the garage into a little repair shop... The start of a fun hobby I thought, so yeah it hurts a bit whenever my mom sees me struggle and says to me "Well, maybe we should go to an actual mechanic?" Kinda starting to wish that my dad had taught us to like Lexus cars instead... Hahaha

Man, I have to regroup mentally, focus on one car at a time, and follow through...

Anyway, I can return the scanner, it's just something I bought from Amazon, but I don't think that I gave it a fair chance, I'm the incompetent one lol Though I believe you, you're far more knowledgeable, but ultimately I'd hate to ask my parents for any more money, until I have some positive results.

I've read about the diagnostic system you were referring to. Definitely pricey and a little too complicated for me to wrap my head around at the moment. That one thread were you were trying to perfect your karaoke setup last year

These being the first cars I work on is definitely a baptism by fire, or whatever they call it... Hahaha

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

LOL, keep at it, you'll soon suss 'em out

Yeah I sorted that Disco / Karaoke laptop and then cloned it, worked a treat, but after the Xmas and New Year gigs I decided I was getting too busy with the Garage business, and too old to be lugging all that equipment around in and out of Venues, so I sold the whole Roadshow kit and caboodle to a local young fella

SDS is easy when you get into it, you do a "Quick Test", that will show you what faults are in what module, click on the fault code and it will walk you through some testing steps and take you to a conclusion.

It also has all the WIS (Workshop Manuals), EPC (Parts Catalogues), Star Finder (component locator) and much much more.

Let us know how you are getting on.

That "smoke" could well be vapour, and a bad temp sensor will cause it to super cool itself, i had just that on my 1996 Trans Am, first time it happened the "smoke" came out the demister vents and filled the car, we thought it was on fire at first !!

HTH,
cowboyt likes this.

Dave

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
The SDS will take care of ANY VEHICLE BUILT BY MERCEDES BENZ under any name from about 1999 to about 2010, including things like the SMART car, the Crossfire, etc., etc.

With the fleet that your are maintaining, I would consider getting a clone SDS a "no-brainer". It is so great to hook the system up and get a list of everything that is wrong with the vehicle, and a list of guided tests to get down to the component level. Doesn't work magic, and won't help you on rare occasions, but worth its cost and then some.
Dave2302 likes this.

Wally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in