High mileage, well cared for OR low mileage but less records? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I will pull the trigger when the right one comes along. The features Iím leaning towards havenít all manifested on a car Iíve seen advertised yet, but Iím also only looking at the general area here.

Iíll snag that SDS system so I can have the right gear to keep the car running. I definitely have more reading to do with respect to the different setups!
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Forget about a 263k mile car, youíre asking for trouble

I assume your budget is under $2000 if you are looking at cars with problems or 263k mikes. Itís way smarter to pay a bit more for a mint car. I can find mint ones in the $3-4K range with mid 100k miles all day .

Remember there is nothing more expensive than buying a cheap Mercedes
Dave2302 and Spirtnoye like this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:15 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyt View Post
Hmm...the D830's have been good to me so far. Maybe it's different on this side of the pond with the "g4m0rzz"; they tended to use mid-tower desktops here in the States. My D830 uses the built-in Intel graphics, which may not be super-speedy, but it always works.

I tend to avoid the D620's because they have a hardware-enforced 4GB DRAM limit, which ends up being really 3.25GB DRAM limit due to PCI bus addressing. The problem is the CPU's 64-bit, sure, but the Southbridge's memory addressing is only 32 bits (32 address lines, specifically). I would go for a D630, though, which has a 33rd memory address line in the Southbridge, thus allowing for 8GB (really 7.25GB) DRAM. I'd then throw 2x4GB DRAM in there for even better performance.
Hi T,

Yes perhaps it is geo .......... graphical

That's a good pun for this time of the morning

My findings were more that had them than didn't

When I bought that last job lot of 25 Dells, I got 6 total D8xx's ..........................

2 x D820's still going strong, and 4 x D830, of which only one had the intel crestline graphics, (still going) the other 3 had the Quadro NVS 64mb Video Chip, all 3 quit within short order running a generic win 7 driver

I could not get any drivers to work with win 7 despite trying all the google fixes I found, and also I do a lot using Multiple Monitor function, so using the Win 7 Driver, that and screen saver doesn't work

So, this side o' that pond, I avoid 'em like the plague now

HTH,
cowboyt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
Forget about a 263k mile car, youíre asking for trouble

I assume your budget is under $2000 if you are looking at cars with problems or 263k mikes. Itís way smarter to pay a bit more for a mint car. I can find mint ones in the $3-4K range with mid 100k miles all day .

Remember there is nothing more expensive than buying a cheap Mercedes

I was taking a look at what was available for that price range, however Iím willing to spend more for the right car.

Initially, it looked like anything under 150K was in the $5k to $6K range, but when I widened my search area, I found more examples of them in the $3K to $5.5K, which is more where I want to be.

The 263K mike car had the rear seat package that I liked, but again that mileage just puts me off. Iím sure if I keep looking and widen the area more Iíll find a really well-kept example.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

My advice is if you wait, the right Car will come along .........................

I have been on the look out for a cheap W220 S500 since January, to break up for the Engine and Gearbox to go into my SLK R170 .....................

I bagged this one today ................ £550.00

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...l#post17808954

It's main issue is a rear strut leaking a little, brake judder from hi speed and some cosmetics, really it's too good to break up, but that's exactly what I'm gonna do with it

Verified 2 owners and 101k miles with an almost complete service history (one stamp missing)

My son is picking it up tomorrow, and I'm going down next Monday to get it, if he doesn't drive it up here beforehand, (they are coming up for next weekend)

He's gonna make his own mind up if it's ok to drive the 600 miles when he's driven it back to his place tomorrow, if it should break something on that rear right corner we both have Relay Recovery anyway, just a bit of an epic getting relayed, but hey ho, I'm fine with that, it won't be using any petrol that way

Cheers,
Spirtnoye likes this.

Dave

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So one more topic for discussion that I havenít seen much on (ok ok, I havenít done ALL the research I could to determine this...):

Youíve just bought your W220. Thatís good! What do you do next to make sure that you get the most life out of it?

I see buyers guides aí plenty. I see ďwhat to look for.Ē All those are helpful...but whatís the next step once youíve brought it home? Do you guys follow a service regimen as soon as you bring one home??

I havenít purchased one yet, but I want to see what the real people do once they park it in their driveway for the first time. Again, Iím taking notes so I can be as prepared as possible and really enjoy every moment when I do pull the trigger.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
I drive it home with the Stereo firmly switched off, listen listen listen, get to know the Car.

Stick it straight on the lift.

All Oils, inc Engine Flush, All Filters, Gearbox Electonic Plug whilst doing Trans Oil and Filter.

Don't forget to reset the Service indicator in the Dash !!

New Serpentine Belt, check all Pulleys / inc Water Pump Bearings while Belt is off, if they are even slightly doubtful change Pulleys.
If the old belt is good, put it in the Trunk, one dark wet night you may need it

Take off Rear Discs, check and replace any Parking Brake parts or just adjust them >>>>>>> "Yeah Right" , I haven't had one Park Brake yet that doesn't need the whole chebang overhauling upon my first visit in there

Full Check over everything as if it were going for annual UK MOT Test, (a very strict safety test if done correctly), and lets face it the examiner of the "Fresh MOT" that the seller just put on it prior to sale might well be the brother of the seller etc etc ................
Trust me, I've seen it all over my many years

Fix any issues from the full check.

Full SDS Code Read, Print and Reset, attend to any Current Codes, drive and enjoy for a few weeks, Full SDS Read to see what's come back, if any, then fix that

I usually spend at least a grand on most any car I buy.

Now enjoy the trouble free Car !!

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-10-2019 at 01:28 AM.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good advice. I'm pulling together a list of those parts for when I snag the one. I'm also learning who's around here that's a good indie in case the MB dealer here is full for appointments.

Thanks again, folks, for all your words and advice. I'll be sure to post a photo of my shiny W220 when I bring it home.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Oooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch .........................

Whatever you do do not take your car anywhere near a Main Stealer, they will rob you blind, chuck parts at a problem in attemp to cure it and likely not do a decent job anyway !!

I am not joking btw !!
cowboyt likes this.

Dave

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
How I wish that Dave's observation were wrong...but all too often, it proves to be right. Three years ago, I used the stealership to do an overall diagnostic on Dad's car, and since I was just dipping my toe into the water with these cars, it was well worth the $149, in my view.

Then I got to shopping online and bought the OEM suspension parts and everything else Dad's car needed. But I started work on the project 2000 S500 first to make my mistakes there. Fortunately, the project 2000 S500 needed the same front suspension overhaul that Dad's car (a 2000 S430) needed, plus an AIRmatic spring.

Good places to buy parts in the United States include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:

1.) FCPEuro
2.) MBOemParts
3.) Pelican Parts
4.) eEuroparts

These are the ones that I have happened to use, and they've done me right.

Note that MBOemParts is actually Mercedes-Benz of Naperville, Illinois, and their prices for Genuine-MB parts (all they sell, as you'd expect) are pretty darn good. Yep, a dealership that isn't a "stealership". Probably one of the handful of dealerships that can be so described, and I buy plenty of stuff from them. They're also a forum sponsor and provide free shipping to BenzWorld members with the coupon code.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Last edited by cowboyt; 06-13-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in