High mileage, well cared for OR low mileage but less records? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's a 4Matic so it's the 5-speed. I'm trying to get more details about the actual issue. Tough to diagnose from afar and from someone that doesn't have SDS (I'm seeing the value more and more with every post I read here......). But, once I get the info, I'll figure out what's next for it. I might pass if I don't feel the warm and fuzzy from the seller. Just like buying a watch, "buy the seller first."
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 PM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Ask for the exact fault code & code description and one of us will tell you what is likely wrong

HTH,
Spirtnoye likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Just run away from a car thats going into limp mode unless youíre an experienced mechanic or can get it under $500.

A limp mode results in undrivable car and if it was a cheap fix the seller would have already done it. Iíve had limp mode from various reasons (transmission , coil pack , accelerator pedal , wheel sensors) and the problem can just as easily be a $4000 problem as a $40 problem - but best believe if it was a cheap issue the seller would have alreaday fixed it , and would not be selling . Remember that most W220 being sold at low prices are because they have problems . The good ones either get top dollar or are not for sale , as the owners are enjoying them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Gotta disagree with that, which is why I asked for a specific fault code

Limp Mode does not result in a Car that can't be driven, it is just what it says, it enables you to limp to repairer at reduced power, reduced engine revs and ultimately reduced speed.

A few specific faults, like for example Crank Sensor, Throttle Pedal, Fuel Pump Relay etc might well cause non drive-able conditions, but that is due to the physical fault, not the light / message on the Dash, that is not limp mode

Also depends on who diagnosed fault and quoted for repair, and just for example if it was a Module, MB would likely quote way north of $1000 , where we all know a good used can be bought, fitted, check and alter coding if necessary on SDS and bam job done for like $30 to $100 Ebay part.

I'd sooner avoid a rusty Car or a Car with an interior like a family of bears have driven it / partied in it

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-06-2019 at 02:39 AM.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

Ask for the exact fault code & code description and one of us will tell you what is likely wrong

HTH,

Iíll pass along what I can find out and discuss with you guys.

Itíll be a good way to decide if this one is worth it or if I should move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave2302 likes this.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Dave's got a good point. It depends on what the code is.

A bad speed sensor can result in the transmission going into "limp home" mode, which means you're stuck in second gear. You can still drive, though. That's when you replace the conductor plate, which has the speed sensor.

A bad crankshaft position sensor means a no-start condition. Fortunately, that's a $20 part and about 20 minutes, at worst an hour, to replace.

A bad camshaft position sensor, which happened to the S600 TT, means you can still drive it, but with way reduced power. It'll still drive, though. That was a $70 part.

My mechanic buddy, ran across a C240 that felt like it was klunking hard right before shifting from first into second. Got the seller down to a good price due to that issue. I brought my SDS with me and played the role of his "expert mechanic friend". Turns out it was the Transmission Control Module, an easy replacement. He swapped in a $40 (shipped) second-hand one from FleaBay and the problem went bye-bye (it's a 722.6 five-speed, so you can do that). It's one of his regular drivers.

It really depends on what the problem is. And for that, ya gotta have SDS. By the way, my mechanic buddy now also has SDS.
Dave2302 and Spirtnoye like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Last edited by cowboyt; 06-06-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Love the

Spirtnoye likes this.

Dave

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Edit: The one with the fault code just sold. On to the other one!

I may pass on it depending on what information I get back from the seller. Still waiting on him.

In other news, I found another one that's got 263K on the clock, but looks as if it's been meticulously maintained. Also has the options I'm leaning towards in a color I enjoy. Going to reach out to this guy and confirm that it seems to be in decent shape. It's also in the 5.5 hour drive zone, but I may just catch a flight there if the numbers work out easier and this guy gets back to me with good answers to my laundry list of questions I have.

Still sourcing a good SDS setup, but google has shown me a few options.

Side note: Thank you guys for the continued support and advice. This is exactly why I love coming here for the discussion and education.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

I have bought lot of Cars over my many years in the Motor Trade, I'll give you a little advice .......................

It's not just about being cautious, you have correctly said earlier that you like to "suss out" the seller, yes so do I ........................

But .........................

I have also found that you gotta go on your gut too, "If you snooze, you lose", and I have a gut feeling that one with the fault would have been a good Car

Personally if you're keeping the Car long term, I'd avoid "Spaceship Mileage" no matter how well it's been maintained, set yourself a sensible max mileage, like say 140k miles, but try and find lower with a few simple fixes that the owner will likely have been quoted telephone numbers to fix

SDS ....................

In case you buy a later Benz in a few years time, or want to help out a few local guys with older / newer Cars, (that's how you learn more) .........................

Buy this separately in lots of Mux and Leads / SDS preloaded on HDD / Laptop / Upgrades

Go for C4 Mux with all leads, and 2016 (latest) Software on SSD, (preferably on 32 bit Win 7), buy a good used Dell D630 get the Dell with the biggest processor you can at least 2Ghz (2.4 is better), upgrade it's Bios to the last one (A19 IIRC) and then whack 2 times 2Gb RAM Cards in it !! Also buy a "Cigarette Lighter Charger" for Dell, very very useful

You will then have one of the best SDS Kits out there which still has the Win HHT Emulator for older, (1997 - 2000 ish), Cars

I buy job lots of Dells and fix 'em up for use in my Business so I kinda know what I'm on about here, I currently have around 20 with all different Marques Dealer Diagnostic s/w, and used for other stuff ...............................

Try and avoid the D830's, I gave them a try, out of 5 I've had 3 fail, (but no problems with 620 / 630's and D820) ...............
The biggest issue with the D830's is that a lot of them are used as Gaming machines, and so have a super dooper Graphics Chip, which is a built in part of the Mother Board.
When upgrading to Win 7, (these lappy's were only supported for XP), you simply cannot get the correct Drivers for them .....................

The Win 7 generic Driver works OK, but you can't use the "multiple monitor function", which I do in certain applications, and after a short while I have had failed Graphics Chips !!

Can't be bothered with them now

HTH,
Spirtnoye and greenscobie86 like this.

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-07-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Hmm...the D830's have been good to me so far. Maybe it's different on this side of the pond with the "g4m0rzz"; they tended to use mid-tower desktops here in the States. My D830 uses the built-in Intel graphics, which may not be super-speedy, but it always works.

I tend to avoid the D620's because they have a hardware-enforced 4GB DRAM limit, which ends up being really 3.25GB DRAM limit due to PCI bus addressing. The problem is the CPU's 64-bit, sure, but the Southbridge's memory addressing is only 32 bits (32 address lines, specifically). I would go for a D630, though, which has a 33rd memory address line in the Southbridge, thus allowing for 8GB (really 7.25GB) DRAM. I'd then throw 2x4GB DRAM in there for even better performance.
Dave2302 and Spirtnoye like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in