post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '04 S430
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Sudden failure - feels like something major just broke

Car has been working well. I even was feeling a bit aggressive and put the car in Sport mode. Car was performing as expected.

Note - last things I did add head unit (connected to CAN BUS) and new battery added on Sunday. The head unit add has caused some small issues in the way the car behaved, especially at slow speeds. By that I mean the AC cabin fan speed would speed up and slow down unusually while driving at slow speeds - I assuming causing issues through CANBUS.

Last week I got my daughter from dance class. Left the parking lot turning right a little aggressively and the Airbag light turned on. Through SDS I was able to see an error code that was CANBUS related - so I just cleared it and it wasn't reading normal - instead of a check - it was showing a (!) and not giving me any Airbag version data. I didn't thing anything of it.

So today - I somewhat aggressively took a right turn at a light and the car just went haywire. Instrument cluster lit up and the only thing working was the head unit. Gas, brakes, steering and transmission worked fine, but as best as I could tell, that was pretty much it.

I am alone with the kiddos for right now - so I can't quite check SDS just yet. I feel something somewhat major happened here. What do you guys think might be going on?

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
-16 T&C (whole family van)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: S500 4Matic 2005
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Front passenger door module would be my guess...I believe it was Tusabes that had the same problem. Shoot him a message.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Perhaps loss of power thru the 60-Amp fuse under the passenger toe-board?
Dave2302 likes this.

Wally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Interesting... I think this (Headlights) might be a clue.... I can't switch it off either...

SDS seems to not be able to communicate with almost all the systems.

I'm running out of daylight. I'll check fuses tomorrow...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

-04 S430
-04 Terminator

Last edited by Huachipato; 05-15-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Guys - I think something really weird is going on with one of the Grounds. I haven't really had a chance to look at it in depth, but shortly after the last SDS test on 5/15 - I disconnected the battery since I figured most modules were offline anyways - I didn't figure it was going to be much of an issue - Right Dave????

Anyways - Since the window was stuck down and it is about to pour rain in about 5 hours - it was recommended that I move it into the garage.

This is where it got weird - after connecting the battery the car's only error was SDS (aside from the normal "you need to reset everything" messages). All the failures that were there 2 days ago now seem to have been corrected. I was able to roll up the window - it all seemed back to normal.

This has me thinking that I have a loose ground somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction on where I might need to start looking? I was thinking it might be one of the prefuses - but with everything coming back I think it safe to think the fuses are fine.

Reminder - battery is brand new (3/19 date code) and fully charged. Alternator working well too.

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
If your car never had problems before the head unit and battery change , something went bad in that process - either a wire near the battery was disturbed , a wire in the dash was disturbed , etc .

Sounds like it’s working ok now , which suggests you may have relocated the wires during the battery disconnection. If you experience problems again I would redo your installation of both battery and stereo , keeping the stereo disconnected for testing , and checking all the wiring by the battery and by the stereo for frayed insulation , bad grounds etc
Huachipato and Dave2302 like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:06 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

My money is on something wrong with the CAN Connection.

Photo's of how / where it is connected needed

HTH,
Witek_M and Huachipato like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

My money is on something wrong with the CAN Connection.

Photo's of how / where it is connected needed

HTH,
The stereo CANBUS contention is one of the first things I'm going to disconnect. For now I'll have it wake up with the switched power that went into the stock head unit instead.

I tapped into the CANBUS right at the AC controls location since it was right there and very easily accessable. I'll get pictures as I don't have any of this connection in particular. It's the twisted pair in the picture.

I'll also double check the battery connections as suggested.

Thanks

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

That is the wrong CAN Bus to connect to, and would possibly account for the HVAC going crazy, and likely the other issues.

There should be a connector with the COMAND Wires with a grey lever, (like that connector in your pic), that is where you will find the CAN connector for Android, you need the Green and White twisted wires as covered in depth in the Android Install Sticky !!

Also some Androids with built in CAN Decoder have different settings for the CAN in their Factory Menu, I haven't meddled though, just seen the options.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Dave

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
This, along with F/O is all that connects to command.....

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in