LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New here

Thanks for the add. I bought a 2003 S430 about 2 weeks ago. I got the car for $200 and it has 89k miles on it.The guy said he dropped the orginal key in water and it stopped working. He replaced the ignition switch and key. Over the past week I have been working with a Chinese scanner to figure out what is going on. I found a post on here last night that made me check the SAM boxes. The one inside the car on the passenger side had a burnt looking wire. So I went to the one in the trunk. Took it off and noticed the 100 amp was blown. From what I have read on here. Looks like I need to find a donor car and replace all of them at the same time. I think I found the right place to guide me through this journey of getting this thing back on the road. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190430-173003_OfferUp_1557766095483.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2512306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190430-173007_OfferUp_1557766112135.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2512308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190501-173651_OfferUp_1557766129606.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2512310  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Forgot to add a picture of the 100 amp fuse. I'm sure it's not supposed to have that break in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15577676332001568248067127696615_1557767652402.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2512370  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Wow! Quite a bargain, if that was not a typo!

I am somewhat confused by your post. There are three SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) units in the 2003 S430. Left, located at the left rear of the engine compartment; Right, located at the right rear of the engine compartment, and Rear, located under the right side of the rear seat cushion.

The Primary Fuses are located in two areas; behind the trunk lining forward of the battery, and under an aluminum cover on the front passenger's toe-board under the carpet.

Unless the owner had the key and the "ignition switch" (which is usually called the EIS, and is a very expensive electronic box) replaced by a dealer ($$$), that doesn't usually work. There are four units in the car - key, EIS, ECU and shifter - that are known as theft sensitive units. These are each hard-programmed with the car's identity, and cannot be individually changed. The best that an owner or an independent garage can do is to replace all four units with four matched units from a donor car, giving your car a new identity (and creating problems with door and trunk locks).

The only really effective "scanner" for the W220 is SDS (STAR Diagnostic System). You can buy a Chinese clone of the $15,000 dealer SDS for $450-600. If that is what you have, things will be better - not easy, but better.

There are many folks on here who are willing and able to help you. Your part will be to give us verbose, detailed descriptions of what you find, using proper terminology, and with photos if possible.

Wally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response. I am still learning. I can tear apart and build Chevy and Pontiac engines and cars all day. This is completely new to me. The only reason I bought it was the low mileage and price. I put the junction box in the trunk back together. I went to the one on the passenger side floor board and found that the 60 amp fuse was blown. The wire with the white connector that goes to it also has some indications that it was burnt. I just messaged someone parting a s430 out in my area. Hopefully I can get those 4 TRS parts and get this thing going.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Do you know for sure whether the car ever ran after the PO replaced the key and ignition?

Wally
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
He started the car from underneath the hood. I've started it at home the same way.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
If you get the fuses plus the 4 matched set of theft parts (key shifter ecu and ignition switch) I bet it will work
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
If you get the fuses plus the 4 matched set of theft parts (key shifter ecu and ignition switch) I bet it will work
I found a set for $260. Looks like it came out of a 2002. Guy has it advertised for 01-05. Question is will it work?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
There’s no risk if it doesn’t work , because you can resell those parts easily on eBay for $350

Everyone is always looking to buy a matched set of those 4 parts

But now tell us a bit more about how the prior owner and you are able to start the car from under the hood ? Do you mean this car will run and drive if started from under the hood?

Or will the starter just crank, without it firing up ? If the car starts and drives by doing something under the hood, that actually concerns me , because stuff has been rigged up to bypass the normal parts - and getting the 4 matched parts may not fix the problem because other stuff has been modified

Last edited by tusabes; 05-13-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
There’s no risk if it doesn’t work , because you can resell those parts easily on eBay for $350

Everyone is always looking to buy a matched set of those 4 parts

But now tell us a bit more about how the prior owner and you are able to start the car from under the hood ? Do you mean this car will run and drive if started from under the hood?

Or will the starter just crank, without it firing up ? If the car starts and drives by doing something under the hood, that actually concerns me , because stuff has been rigged up to bypass the normal parts - and getting the 4 matched parts may not fix the problem because other stuff has been modified
I can start the car from under the hood and it will run. I have not tried to drive the car using that starting method. He just started it that way to show me that it runs. When ready to turn it off. It turns off from the key. Right now I am actually trying to find the ECU that goes with those 4 parts. So I can make sure the part numbers match what I am looking at to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in