LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I got bored now I need the Headlamp Guru :)

Hi,

@cowboyt ,

Do Bi Xenons need any extra wiring or does the Shield Motor move from the power to the Full Beam Bulb ?

AFAIK there is only 2 Codings, Halogen or Xenon, is that correct ?? ..............................................

I got bored with Wheels today, so spent lunchtime on EBay ...............................................

I was looking at W220 S500 Spares or Repairs Cars for an SLK Donor when I came across a pair of Facelift W220 Bi Xenon's, (genuine MB), RHD and with all Parts attached, Ballasts, Ignitors, Covers, Bulbs etc etc in fully working VGC.

Guy was asking 150 each plus 10 each postage, they had an offer button, so I offered 115 each lamp plus the 20 postage ......................

Sold to me for 250 all in

Soooooo, that'll save me the hassle of converting the Depos to RHD

For Sale, Xenon Converted LHD Depos

Nah I'll Keep the Depo's for now at least

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Expert? That's a good one!

In Genuine-MB bi-xenon housings, the shield solenoid is actually operated from the ballast. The only time you need to wire it into the high-beam circuit is when you're converting Depos from single-xenon to bi-xenon, or any halogen assembly (Genuine-MB included) to bi-xenon.

Since the ones you're getting are Genuine-MB, there should be a 3-wire connector from the factory ballast to the high/full-beam solenoid. Now, given their age, I personally would check out those projectors to see if the mirroring is still in good shape. If they're not, then I'd pick up a pair of new projectors and just move both the RHD shield and solenoid from the burned-out ones over to the new projectors. That was the case when I refurb'd the S600's (factory) headlight assemblies. If those mirrors are still shiny, though, then from a wiring perspective, it's just plug 'n' play.

The actual setting in SDS is for the XENON field. IIRC, for W220's, it's in Developer Mode, i. e. auf Deutsch. It's "XENON: PRESENT" or "XENON: NOT PRESENT". The second one means halogen. Interestingly, "XENON: PRESENT" seems to work just fine even when there are halogen bulbs in there; go figure that one! At least, that was the case on the '03 S430.
Dave2302 likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (best friend's--now WIFE's--DD: my first W220 project car, once gone to, and now returned from, an excellent home--welcome back home, baby!)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--second W220 project car)
2003 S600 (third w220 project car, "sex on wheels")
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Last edited by cowboyt; 05-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi @cowboyt ,

OK, that is good news, looking at the guys detailed pic's yes they are definitely Bi Xenon, labelled BiXe on the yellow MB Label.
All mountings are intact and they look very fresh from the pictures.

I have noticed from looking for Genuine MB ones before that the Lenses look very Grey if they are burned
My last searching before buying the Depos was only finding Halogen Facelift lamps, and the odd very "grey" or "broken mounts" Facelift Xenon for around 450 each, so finding this pair and getting them at that price seemed like a no brainer

I suspected they worked without extra Wiring because the plugs all look identical to my Pre Facelift single Xenons

Car is already Coded for Xenon

So final question, if I should need to swap the Projectors will the Depo ones fit ?

If not which exact ones do you recommend ?

The sole purpose of buying these is to get this Car finished in the fastest time possible now, and so far despite the best laid plans I have not had the time to build a suitable "Oven" to get the Lenses off, so here's hoping that the Projectors are good

I'll be back at the seller for partial refund if they turn up and Projectors aren't good.

He is a European Seller, good feedback, and being as he is in Europe the likely reason he has swapped them out is that he needed LHD lamps, they are definitely RHD I double checked with him and they are marked with RHD arrow ---> on the Labels too

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: S500 4Matic 2005
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi @cowboyt ,

OK, that is good news, looking at the guys detailed pic's yes they are definitely Bi Xenon, labelled BiXe on the yellow MB Label.
All mountings are intact and they look very fresh from the pictures.

I have noticed from looking for Genuine MB ones before that the Lenses look very Grey if they are burned
My last searching before buying the Depos was only finding Halogen Facelift lamps, and the odd very "grey" or "broken mounts" Facelift Xenon for around 450 each, so finding this pair and getting them at that price seemed like a no brainer

I suspected they worked without extra Wiring because the plugs all look identical to my Pre Facelift single Xenons

Car is already Coded for Xenon

So final question, if I should need to swap the Projectors will the Depo ones fit ?

If not which exact ones do you recommend ?

The sole purpose of buying these is to get this Car finished in the fastest time possible now, and so far despite the best laid plans I have not had the time to build a suitable "Oven" to get the Lenses off, so here's hoping that the Projectors are good

I'll be back at the seller for partial refund if they turn up and Projectors aren't good.

He is a European Seller, good feedback, and being as he is in Europe the likely reason he has swapped them out is that he needed LHD lamps, they are definitely RHD I double checked with him and they are marked with RHD arrow ---> on the Labels too
I wouldn't bother changing the projectors UNLESS they are completely shot. Just give the headlights a nice polish/buff/wax while you have them out and pop them in. After that.......YOU ENJOY
Dave2302 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '04 S430
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've dabbled with projectors in the past - and I haven't messed with the MB headlights yet but....

I would think the high beam 12V sent to the high beam bulb could also be used (in parallel) as a trigger for the High Beam fence to be moved. Those small electromagnet devises that move the High Beam Fence out of the way use next to nothing of power and I would think that would not trigger any issues with SAM and no programming needed. Polarity doesn't matter either.

Assuming they are the same projectors - the high beam fence mechanism should be easy to swap. The projectors I've played with - it's normally just 4 screws holding the reflector bowl to the lens with the high beam fence mechanism sandwiched in between the two.
Dave2302 likes this.

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
-16 T&C (whole family van)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
@Huachipato : that's exactly what you do when converting Depos from single-xenon (fixed fence) to bi-xenons. You wire the high-beam fence in parallel with the high beam light's circuit. Note that this *MUST* be done *in parallel*, not in series, otherwise you'll likely burn out the solenoid motor in rather short order.

@Dave2302 : if the projectors are shot, I wouldn't recommend the Depo ones, since they're single-xenon only. I *would* recommend the Morimoto E46-R bi-xenons as replacements. That's what I use, and the solenoid + fence assemblies from the original projectors swap right onto the Morimotos. Of course, genuine Bosch E46 bi-xenons would work as well, but they're more money. That does mean taking apart the headlamp assembly, though. I use my cooking oven to bake the assemblies; baking them for 10 minutes at 210 deg. F, or 100 deg. C, should be enough to get the lens covers off. Or there's the cardboard box/hairdryer method.

If the car's already programmed for Xenon, then just plug 'em in and go. That simple.
Dave2302 likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (best friend's--now WIFE's--DD: my first W220 project car, once gone to, and now returned from, an excellent home--welcome back home, baby!)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--second W220 project car)
2003 S600 (third w220 project car, "sex on wheels")
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Guys,

Yeah like I said I likely won't be messing with them as the Projectors do look good in the pix, so here's hoping, they should be here next week with any luck.

I put the Trade Plates on and took the Car for a 30 mile round trip drive yesterday, goddam it feels nice, hopefully will be completely finished this year

Dave

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ahhhhhh well, looks like that was a total waste of 250

I have received a pair of Post Facelift Bi Xenons, which are in great condition, and they are indeed Right Hand Drive, Projector Reflectors look brand new ...............

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut there would appear to be a problem,

The Wiring Plugs are different and there are 3 Plugs on the lamps instead of two with around 5 more wires in total.

I suspect that the levelling motor plug (4 wires), whilst a different shape plug, would not be rocket science, but the other 2 are a 5 pin and a 6 pin and all pins are wired ................... poop !!

I suspect the Pre Facelift Cars Wiring Harness, and maybe SAM's to be totally different

Anyone done the Swap ??

I dare say I'm going to be converting the LHD Depo's to RHD after all.

Ahhh, ok see below, it's not as bad as I thought, actually do able .......................

Lesson here ................................ RTF Encyclopaedia

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 05-19-2019 at 03:01 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
OK,

So I'm going to put some links here, which I can then refer to, as well as anyone else wanting to do this.

I am going to source the Correct Wiring plugs for the BiXe's from a scrappy, or buy the 5 pin and 4 Pin connectors from MB.

In the link is a pic of the back of a Facelift BiXe same as the ones that I have bought, the 4 pin Socket is for the Self Levelling Motor and needs the Wires taking out of the cars existing (square) plug and wiring to these 4, diagram is in the first link below.

The 6 Pin Socket connects straight into the Cars 6 Pin Plug, but needs an Earth wire connecting to the 5 Pin Socket at the bottom of the BiXe Lamp unit then hopefully it all works except for the "Range Adjustment", which is what the other wires in the 5 pin socket do on the BiXe's, more research needed into that.

But looks like the link below will get the BiXe's working just without "Range Adjustment", whatever the hell that is, note that "Range Adjustment" is not the same as "Levelling Motors", there is extra wires to these lamps in the 5 pin plug no mention of what these do in any of the posts in the Encyclopaedia, except "Earth the Brown Wire" ................

EDIT :- Ahhh ok further research suggests "Range Adjustment" means in Plain Engleeeeeesh "Shield Motors"

Pix are clickable

Back of lamp showing all 3 plugs, Four, Five and Six pin:-

6 pin which should plug straight into Car:-

4 Pin which does levelling Motor, and connects to the 4 Wires on the square plug on Car :-

5 pin Brown Wire to Earth, also shows the other Wires which, (alledgedly) remain not connected

@cowboyt ??????????????????

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...54&gid=1&pid=1

I also found this, in blue below, (which I have edited a little so it makes more sense) !!
It would appear that to make the Shield Motor work, I also need to ground the pin at the other end of the 5 pin plug ...............

The new Facelift BiXe light (assuming you got the correct one, there are two versions and many people make the mistake of getting the one with only two connections) should have 3 connectors. 2 connector is maybe single Xe or Halogen ???????????

Connect the original "headlight" connector from the car end (the 6 pin oval one) to the centre connector on both headlights. The other square connector from the car end is for the auto levelling system and obviously wont' fit into the new light cause the receptacle is oval and not round. Worse case is that you solder wire onto the headlight pins and there are only 4 pins and tap the extended wire onto the wire from the car end connector.
That's it and this will activate the levelling system. It's a vertical connector with 4 pins. They should match up to the 4 wires coming from the car. The levelling connector is the one closest to the side of the car or the 'fatter' end of the headlight.

The remaining 3rd connector at the smaller end of the headlight (under the Fog Bulb) is not used but you will need to ground the first and last pin meaning you will need to attach a wire to the first pin and then to the last pin and have another wire coming out of the last pin grounded somewhere on the car or vice versa just make sure both the first and last pins are grounded. Do this for both sides. Without this ground, you will not be able to use the high beam HID. Basically you should have one short wire connecting the first and last pin and one long wire coming out of the last pin as the final ground wire.

So it would appear that the many who did not do this are happily driving around thinking they have BiXe's when in fact they only have Xe Dips, no Xe Full Beam

4 and 5 pin plugs, and wired terminals to go in them are available from MB :-

Part Numbers ................

2 off A 000 153 08 42 Plug

2 off A 220 545 38 05 Plug

14 off ?? A 000 540 38 05 Connectors with wires (not certain on these qty's will edit when I've checked exactly) !!

4 off ?? A 000 540 39 05 Connectors with Wires (not certain on these qty's will edit when I've checked exactly) !!

I'm going to remove the RHS Depo in a while, make up some temporary wiring to plug the leveller into my cars Square Plug, plus some temporary Earths from the 5 pin on lamp and try them, see what works and what doesn't

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 05-19-2019 at 03:05 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Oh well, ho hum, dunno what all the fuss was about

Works a treat, wiring was a doddle....................

The Right Side is installed with temporary connections, no errors on Dash, all works absolutely fine, so I don't have a scooby doo what those other 3 wires do but the shields are dropping on Full Beam and Raising again on Dipped

These BiXe's need slightly longer M5 mounting bolts for some strange reason, about 10mm longer than the ones that came out, so add 4 bolts, (stainless) to the shopping list

I now know what @cowboyt means, the Halogen Full Beam Bulbs are a waste of space, the Xenon just wipes them out.

Now, bearing in mind I have got 2 boxes with MB Ballasts and Ignitors still bolted under my Headlamp Panels, and how easy it would be to wire them into the Full Beam Circuit, can you guess where I'm going with this, yep, stick the H7 Based Xenon Bulbs in the Full Beam lamps

That'd be well cool, might need a resistor just to stop the inevitable Dash Error message, but only one way to find out

AFAIK the Xenon Bulbs run cooler than Halogen so I don't see an issue with using 35W ones burning anything ????

Anyone care to comment ????

I'm now ready to go Vampire Igniting as 'T' would say

I'll get the proper Connectors etc ordered this week and maybe get some spare time soon in order to do the H7 Full Beam to Xenon Bulb testing and see what that does

Chow for now, off to find some slightly bluer Bulbs for these babies, around 4700 - 5000k "D2S" IIRC but I'll check first

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 05-19-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in