LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Committing A Sin (Blower Control Unit Version)

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

The second genuine MB blower speed control unit has failed on the 2003 S430. Apparently, the MB list price is over $250. After agonizing over the thing for a long time (perhaps 30 seconds) I bought a brand new Chinese unit, with a one-year warranty, for $29.

Wally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2006 S500 4matic
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
70K miles ago I replaces my genuine blower with a cheapest I could buy (at the time I was not this forum member yet and did not know that for the members "chinesium" is forbidden) and it is still working fine. What was my very first MB repair and the reason I bought the car on the first place I thought that MB is a most reliable brand (how wrong I was!!!!). Then I got on the forums and learned that Terrell never approves aftermarket so I was thinking several times on getting a used real thing... but always delayed since it is still working. I have a long list of repairs to do first so for now it is a low priority.
cowboyt likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyp View Post
Forgive me, for I have sinned.

...After agonizing over the thing for a long time (perhaps 30 seconds) I bought a brand new Chinese unit...
Thou shalt not Chinesium thyn Mercedes-Benz! Lest thou shalt have Mercedes-Benzium henceforth.
Meh.... What do I know? I'm driving on Chinesium suspension and looking to install a Chinesium head unit... after, of course, getting a Chinesium made SDS (whatever that is).
And just where exactly did you think those computer pieces were made, anyway? That's right... Chinesium Town. Makes me wonder just how many chips or computer pieces within the factory MB equipment was already being made by the Chinesiums. I could be wrong. Maybe the Germonites have always been making their own electronics. After all, that's where AMD comes from.
As penance, I suppose fifty push-ups and a thorough cleaning and waxing of ye ole Benz will suffice!
cowboyt and oliverp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 PM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The difference is in the QC.

If you like doing the same job 2 or 3 times go ahead, you may get lucky first time, clearly some have ...............

Also more have found that the stuff just doesn't work out of the box, and in certain cases can fail in a catastrophically dangerous manner.

SDS and Android H/U's from certain sources are acceptable simply because you can't get them from anywhere else, although I still advocate using a seller that is in your own country, because then you have some back up at the end of a phone line, rather than the silence that seems to follow an Email along the lines of "Since I bought my Chinesium from you xyz has broken" ..............

Funny how the Emails all get through and are replied to thick and fast pre purchase !!

Your Cars, Your Money, Your Families Safety, (and possibly safety of others depending on the part), Your Choice !!

Here endeth the lesson
MikeKerr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Ha! You guys are a crack-up!

You said it, though, Dave; it's all about the QC. Sometimes yeah, you can get lucky with Chinesium actually doing OK. If by "blower speed controller unit", you mean the piece that we often call the "regulator" or "resistor", then the OE Bosch one is available for just over US $100. But if the Chinesium one is working, then...well, that's good! We all definitely like it when things work.

That said, yes, definitely some pushups, followed by a thorough washing and waxing of the automobile so sinned against, is appropriate...you SINNERS!!
Dave2302 likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in