The greedy pay twice - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:24 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Huh, good to know. I've never had any problems with either brand but then again I have not worked with MB. This is my first time around with this make of car. I've used Raybestos for many many years for many many customers and have NEVER had one fail from a defect. With Dorman it has been general hardware items, again, no issues to date.

When I saw The Amazon name I was a little concerned as I never buy my replacement parts from them. WAY too many knock offs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 AM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Dorman is rebrander, they will rebrand anything and everything, from a PS pump rebuilt by a hobo under the bridge up all the way to factory original parts, just with the manuf. logo grinded off. There's an extreme range of quality among the parts. They're never consistent.

I've ordered a Dorman Honda Accord power steering pump and upon start up it leaked from the shaft. Warrantied the pump next day and the replacement unit was Honda OE pump, complete with factory marking. Alternators, pulleys, coils, you name it, I've had a proportionally higher defective out of those than other brands....though it may be related to my current geographical locations and the distributor. All I'm saying, I don't trust Dorman as far as I can throw them and even then, I'd whip out my tape measure to be doubly sure.

Raybesto is perfectly fine, don't get me wrong. I do use them occasionally, when the price of OE parts is in the "ow, my butt" range but the cheap stuff is in "she gotta have STDs..." range. And I never had problems with them either. In fact, I use them if working on American or Japanese cars. German cars on other hand, require a little bit more finesse. Not only you have to judge the replacement parts, you also have to judge the customer and the risk of comebacks and complaints.

German car owners, in my experience, are proportionally more inclined to bring their cars back for every single slight, imagined or otherwise. "EVER SINCE YOU CHANGED THE OIL IN MY CAR, MY AC HAS BEEN MAKING A SQUEAKING NOISE AND THE CAR MAKES A CLUNKING NOISE OVER BUMPS!" Japanese and American car owners tend to be a little bit more clueless, and they use their stereo as a catch all. If they can hear it over their stereo, they bring it in....often many thousand miles later.

Granted, this is an extreme overgeneration and customer profiling/stereotyping, but it remains true in my region. Then in this case I have to judge the trouble I may be forced to endure if I decide to save $40 and go aftermarket parts because "X"....Often times I've purposely chosen parts that cost over $300 from their competitors (Arnott/RMT suspension as opposed to random no name eBay parts) just for the warranty. That paid off at least three times for me.

Brands matter too, but you also have to judge your time, potential comebacks, potential liabilities, and potential customer referrals too. Too many comebacks, you've lost money, lost time, lost referrals. Aftermarket parts fail on critical components (brakes, mostly. I rarely deal with airbags) on just ONE car can severely impact my whole profit for the month, possibly two. Plus there is potential lawsuits too.

Point is when it comes to brakes, I pull out all stops (pun intended). Lines, hoses, even caliper brackets get OE. I've seen aftermarket caliper bracket break just from regular city driving. Calipers, depends on brand. Brake pads and rotors, almost always go aftermarket unless the car is known to be very aftermarket unfriendly (2009 BMW 330i coupe comes to mind. Why 330i and not 328i? Who knows, but the 330i squeals like a stuck pig with aftermarket pads whereas sedan 328i of same year happily accepts those same pads with no issues).
doni01, Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi @Deplore ,

/\ /\ /\ gotta agree with that.

TRW are an OEM on later MB's as I just discovered when I got TRW Calipers in an MB box from MB Dealer Parts Dept for a 2010 E Class Wagon.

MB Discs were 10 each Dearer than Mintex to me, around 57 per Disc, pads about 20 dearer at around 55

Get this ............

Arnott Reman Air Suspension Compressor for the same Car 440

MB Reman Compressor 275 ..................

Go figure ................

Genuine MB is a no brainer in the above Cases

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
Deplore,

Raybesto's one does look a bit better made. They both are made in China. BTW, how often do you see a hose broken without a reason? I guess the hose is just a piece of rubber tube with two end connectors. I doubt I will kill myself using those hoses. Back in time after reading the forum I declined almost ordered complete suspension parts kit including all 4 control arms, ball joint etc from Hamburg Mechanics (what a nice name - LOL) for $900. But for the hose I don't see a reason to go OE.
I just recently bought brake hoses for the project 2000 S500, front and back. The rears showed cracked rubber, so I swapped 'em. The fronts turned out to be just fine, great shape, so I'll instead use these now-extra fronts on one of the other W220's when it's ready. They really weren't that expensive, and those brake hoses are 140,000 miles old. The S600 TT has 174,500 with what might be the original brake hoses, and they look in pretty good shape, too. Same goes for the '03 S430.

It looks like M-B really did build these hoses to last. I like that in brake hoses. :-)

@Barmaley , you should be OK with either the Raybestos or Dorman hoses. They won't last as long as the Genuine-MB ones, but yeah, you're not going to get yourself killed by using 'em. Just check 'em every year, replace 'em when you see any cracking in the rubber, and make sure you do your proper brake-fluid flush every 2-3 years like with any other car.

Now, for your suspension parts, you're *definitely* right to go OE. That's going to be Lemfoerder and TRW for the control arms and ball joints. For AIRmatic, that's going to be Bilstein. The one "aftermarket" that I would accept on my cars is Arnott, and that's because they use OE (MB/Bilstein) cores. For 4Matic, I would definitely be looking at the new-manufacture Arnotts since I actually prefer the "Sport 1" setting, and they're several hundreds of dollars apiece less expensive than the OE Bilsteins, even at Rock Auto.
Barmaley and Triple cranks like this.

Last edited by cowboyt; 04-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Bearing in mind my findings with the 2010 E Class Suspension ................

Arnott vs MB Reman, I'd urge members to check MB prices first ................

HTH,
doni01 likes this.

Dave

post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi @Deplore ,

/\ /\ /\ gotta agree with that.

TRW are an OEM on later MB's as I just discovered when I got TRW Calipers in an MB box from MB Dealer Parts Dept for a 2010 E Class Wagon.

MB Discs were 10 each Dearer than Mintex to me, around 57 per Disc, pads about 20 dearer at around 55

Get this ............

Arnott Reman Air Suspension Compressor for the same Car 440

MB Reman Compressor 275 ..................

Go figure ................

Genuine MB is a no brainer in the above Cases
I wish I could get those prices here. On my old as balls E300, front rotor is $180 each (and that's my cost, not list price), rears $110. Zimmerman, which is OE for E300, is $44 front and $28 rear.

Same story across newer models -- and if the car happens to have sports package where the rotors are directional and cross drilled, double that. On a regular 2008 R230 with sport package, front rotor are 350mm drilled, MB wants $338, rear $198. Same exact rotors, made by Zimmermann (again, OE) is $98 and $38 respectively.

And it's not just my local dealership -- the closest 4 dealerships near me also give similar prices. Same story with airmatic or ABC struts, dealer wants 4 digits for either reman or new struts whereas Arnott is half of that, sometimes more than half, and it comes with lifetime warranty to boot.

Just about the only thing that is semi-competitive at the dealer is the catalytic converters...and only if your core is good. Core charge is like $400 or $500.

Sometimes I wish that my local dealers were a little bit more competitive.
Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: w210 e430x2 w202 c280x3 c180 c220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well as others have said!! at the risk of getting lambasted
if you want something good for nothing that's exactly what you'll get.
If you cant afford new parts then go and buy a ford not a merc. there again judging by the look of that steer tyre you certainly cant afford to own a merc.
do yourself a real big favor and buy new the parts are far cheaper in the states than here.
doni01 and Dave2302 like this.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Barmaley,

I, for one, are glad to see you working on your car. All of us had to learn at sometime, in some way. I certainly hope that you are able to learn from your prior mechanic's blunders, and will be able to keep the suspension from falling off of the car! Most of what it takes is to work slowly and carefully, looking at everything as you do it, and stopping immediately when something just doesn't look right or feel right. There is enough commonality between the left and right that you can check if something isn't just right.
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I completely agree that MB parts are better quality than aftermarket. The one exception are the ABC hoses. I think MB designed them to be just good enough to get by. I have hoses on my excavating equipment that have many hours on them not to mention being exposed to the elements including UV rays without issue. I am getting ready to replace the high pressure hose at a cost of $360 that was replaced 25k miles ago. This will be at least the third time around for this part. I am thinking I may be better of having it rebuilt at a fourth of the cost and double the PSI rating of the hose.

If MB is going to design a suspension system to operate at 200 bar, they should have equipped it with hoses rated to at least 300 bar. Or, beef up their replacements to this standard. Thoughts??

Along these lines (no pun intended) what the heck is the purpose of that little metal nub at the end of the hose? It simply goes nowhere.
Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
It’s a pulsation damper
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in