BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: S500 4Matic 2005
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
Hi Guys,

I was dealing with my car so did not get a chance to check with the forum, and there are a lot of posts here.

First about the tire. Last time I checked the tire was exactly one year ago when I passed State inspection. The inspector told me that the tire passed but is very low and I need to replace it ASAP. Since that I was not driving my car and in total I got about 1200 miles. The alignment obviously is so bad that the tire got to this terrible shape too fast.

About repair - on the picture is what I got. I pulled it from another car and I checked that those used parts are genuine MB parts. I assume you guys will be satisfied
My concern is about broken brake line. I remember what ones I changed a brake line on a Cadillac DTS and then a year later I brought it to a dealer to replace transmission they had to redo the line as well since I put it at an easier path, unfortunately it prevented the transmission to be removed from the car!!!
Obviously, I will use my original rotor and pads, the rest of the assembly I am planning on using the used one. The control arm looks to be very tight, hopefully recently replaces since the donor car had 160K miles. Would you recommend to replace some additional parts from the assembly? I think is should be very easy so install since everything is intact.
And when you think you have heard/seen it all, this post comes along

OP take Dave's advice and do not get hurt!!
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: '04 S430
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

Oh no they were not, they took the whole weight of that front corner while that Wheel was wobbling and hanging and eventually the weakest link, (the Caliper Carrier) snapped allowing the Wheel Disc and Hub to come off and rip out the Brake Pipes !!

Why risk using a stressed, maybe distorted, maybe cracked Disc, and maybe distorted, or un bonded Pads ..................

It just beggars belief

That's it I've done my bit, I'm outta here
Touche - I had not fully thought through how it failed. I can't disagree with you on this point.
Dave2302 likes this.

-04 S430
-04 Terminator
-16 T&C (whole family van)
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

Oh no they were not, they took the whole weight of that front corner while that Wheel was wobbling and hanging and eventually the weakest link, (the Caliper Carrier) snapped allowing the Wheel Disc and Hub to come off and rip out the Brake Pipes !!

Why risk using a stressed, maybe distorted, maybe cracked Disc, and maybe distorted, or un bonded Pads ..................

It just beggars belief

That's it I've done my bit, I'm outta here
A new disc and pads are essential and very cheap on rockauto.com and should definitely be replaced at a minimum as these are safety items , even if you donít want to refresh the ball joints and bushings .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 1999 e430 129k, 2005 e320 154k
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So sorry and bad luck but couple obvious takeaways from this for all drivers. LISTEN to your car! If it starts making strange noises and especially if you feel something change all of a sudden in the steering or stability while at speed, pull over ASAP!! The major damage may have been (or maybe not) avoidable. Also once these things are out of warranty, they can be quite expensive to own if you don't learn to work on them yourself as someone else pointed out. Granted, changing out a front CV axle on a 4matic ain't exactly easy.
Barmaley, Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2006 S500 4matic
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Last thing which I need for repair I got today - the brake hose. I got two versions: Raybestos and Dorman. Which would you recommend to use?
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Both are exceptional brands. Raybestos is a brake parts related brand and Dorman wears many hats but is good stuff as well.
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Triple cranks, it is especially good to know since their hoses were $5 each including delivery from Amazon
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
..................lol

Dorman is crap, I've gotten more DOA and plain defective products from Dorman than URO. That should say something. Raybesto is half decent, but I wouldn't buy them.

And you're cheaping out on the one thing that helps you to stop the car?

Just buy the original parts, they last forever and aren't build to pennies.

Part number 220 428 11 35, they cost less than $40. You can find them for $30, even $25 if you can shop around.

Cheap out on the used bearings, used axle all you want, I don't care. It's your car, your money, your prerogative. But don't ever cheap out on the safety items.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz...gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...AAAOSwfflZcvqf
Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.

--1998 MB E300TD 291k
--1997 MB E36 Frankenstein'd AMG 199k
--2011 Suzuki DL650 58k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--1997 MB C36 AMG 273k -- stripped and junked
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Deplore,

Raybesto's one does look a bit better made. They both are made in China. BTW, how often do you see a hose broken without a reason? I guess the hose is just a piece of rubber tube with two end connectors. I doubt I will kill myself using those hoses. Back in time after reading the forum I declined almost ordered complete suspension parts kit including all 4 control arms, ball joint etc from Hamburg Mechanics (what a nice name - LOL) for $900. But for the hose I don't see a reason to go OE.
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
It's all in the QA and how much pressure the hose can take before bursting.

Mercedes massively overspecs the brake hoses, they are rated to take up to 200 bar, and then limit the car so the maximum it can output to each corner is maybe 100 bar, 140 if you're stomping on it with two feet and bracing against the seat.

This is to allow plenty of margin in case of decay and rust taking away some of the support, plus for longevity and extreme dependency. I've seen 40 year old MB with original brake hoses.

How much QA do you think they put into that $5 hose? Just slap on a regular hose specced for an aircooled VW beetle, put in the fitting for the MB and done? How would you know? Guess you'll find out at the scene of the next accident if that hose can withstand the pressure or not.

I've seen cheap hoses burst before...usually on cars that were previously in accidents. I've seen more than a few cars come in on a tow truck leaking brake fluid everywhere because a $5 aftermarket hose burst...almost always as a result of the body shop rebuilding the front corner. When they get authorization from insurance company using OEM parts and prices, and then once the check comes in, they start to use aftermarket parts to keep the profits high.

I've been interviewed and retained as an "expert" witness in lawsuits for this exact scenario. But what do I know? I'm just an idiot on the internet bleating useless facts.

Anyway, I've done my part. Please take care, I'm out.
Dave2302 and cowboyt like this.

--1998 MB E300TD 291k
--1997 MB E36 Frankenstein'd AMG 199k
--2011 Suzuki DL650 58k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--1997 MB C36 AMG 273k -- stripped and junked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in