LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:30 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi Ollie,

On my Car, around our fast but twisty roads, the difference between Sport 1 and Comfort is definitely very noticeable, I use Comfort on the smooth less twisty Tarmac and Sport 1 through the undulating twisties if I want to go faster

HTH,
oliverp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyt View Post
@4DGeorge : turns out that with my Lemfoerder kit, it came with nylon self-locking nuts. Otherwise, I'd just use blue Loctite.
I think I'll be picking up a pair of self-locking nuts as my blue Loctite hasn't been handling it.
By the way, regarding returning my Chinesium strut in lieu of of a real MB strut for the core charge: I called FCPEuro to ask where to ship this, expecting them to say it needs to go directly to Arnott, it goes back to FCPEuro. Thus I'm inclined to think I just might be able to get the core back. I'll let you know.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverp View Post
I am wondering about the comfort difference between the new arnott without the adaptive damping, vs bilstein. I have 4 new arnott struts at the moment. The car seems to ride fine, but I wonder if I would notice a big difference with the bilsteins using airmatic comfort setting
The "Comfort" setting is pretty cushy. It feels, to me, almost like an old-school Cadillac. This was my Dad's typical setting because it was more comfortable for his back, especially as he got into his 80's. His car still has the original Mercedes-Benz struts, i. e. the Bilstein-manufactured ones. Before I knew about the adjustable suspension, I drove his car from Vegas to Virginia, on that setting, and it was very nice, indeed.

"Sport 1" is a bit firmer. As Dave said, it's noticeable. The suspension does firm up, but I actually find it reassuring. A couple of years ago, I took the '03 S430, with 18" AMG wheels, on a 1,600 mile road trip. That, too, turned out to be surprisingly comfortable, more than I had expected. It wasn't as cushy as the "Comfort" mode, especially on Dad's car with those 16" wheels and thus taller tires. But I actually slightly prefer "Sport 1" even in highway cruise mode.

"Sport 2" is very firm, too firm for me. I tried it, and maybe I could get used to it, but it's not what I'd call enjoyable.

So, yes, you would notice a difference if you had the adaptive damping and chose anything other than "Sport 1". If you like how the car feels at that firmness level, though, as I do, then there's no need to change your new Arnotts out for Bilsteins.
Dave2302 and oliverp like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (best friend's--now WIFE's--DD: my first W220 project car, once gone to, and now returned from, an excellent home--welcome back home, baby!)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--second W220 project car)
2003 S600 (third w220 project car, "sex on wheels")
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 S500 4Matic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
My Dad had a 2004 S320Cdi back in England. That had 18" wheels and rode better than mine (softer) on my 17" wheels. I am not sure if it's because of the OEM struts, or the roads being better in England (Cornwall), than here in Toronto where we have potholes like craters!

I can't spend the money going from the Arnotts to the Bilsteins right now, but I do regret not spending the extra on the Bilsteins. I am only 37 but I drive like a grandad and enjoy the soft ride!
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have tried all three settings on my S430 on 17" wheels, and prefer the "COMFORT" setting.

Wally
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '04 S500 4Matic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I will talk to the mechanic and see if there is any kind of trade in deal I can work out with him. If I could get the Bilsteins that would be awesome!
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Situation Update...

I waited until I received the account credit on the returned strut to move on to the next step, so as to keep everything simple. I called Arnott this morning and reported the problem. The lady apologized for the problem, checked with her supervisor, and told me that they would ship out a replacement immediately at no cost. I expected the usual requirement to put he replacement on the credit card, with a refund when the core is returned, but in this case they are trusting me to return the broken strut without that.

I actually can see why it would be easy to miss the broken rod inside the strut - the failures are almost invariably a leaking/failed rolling diaphragm, and they would miss a shock failure.

Oh, well...

Replacing the strut is not a big deal, so I'm not unhappy with Arnott.

Incidentally, the new strut looked somewhat different from the old leaking one, The top of the strut was sealed in a shiny aluminum can with large "Continental" markings, so apparently they have changed vendors for the diaphragms.
Dave2302 likes this.

Wally
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
By the way, I did receive the core refund when I sent in my failed 1yr old Chinesium rear strut to FCPEuro. Now I'm starting to hear that tel-tale thumping coming from the other rear strut. (FYI those were installed by the previous owner right before I bought the car) Dang those Chinesium things are cheap! Same goes for the front ball joints I threw on right after getting the vehicle (last February). So last weekend I replaced both front ball joints with Lemforder. No more squeaking!
As for the one Arnott rear strut I installed, as far as I can tell it still has the active damping and switches between the three settings (Comfort, Sport 1, and Sport 2).
I just checked the prices on RockAuto for the Bilstein vs Arnott. (base model air springs, w/o ABC, non-4MATIC) $128 difference for the rear ones, same price for the front ones. However, FCPEuro still has a far cheaper price for the Arnott than on RockAuto. But FCPEuro's Bilsteins are way more expensive.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
While doing a service (expansion hose - arggg!!!) I noticed both front strut boots are split. It must have just recently happened as both are impeccably clean inside. Are just the boots available and is it pretty straight forward?

I'm without SDS again. The Windows activation is acting up again so no WIS to work with until I get that sorted. Already have a few hours invested not to mention over $900 trying to get it up and running again. Thinking of just tossing the works and going the C4 route.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I replaced one of my front strut boots. It's fairly easy. All you need to do is take off the lower rear control arm. Once it's unhooked from the bottom of the strut, you can unclip and slide the old boot off.
I noticed the strut casing felt a little rough where the air bag would come in contact. A few minutes of elbow grease + 1200 grit smoothed things out.
Sliding the new boot up only took a little bit of work as the smallest end had to be stretched slightly to get on.
I bought 2 replacement boots from Alibaba. $7.50
https://m.alibaba.com/product/608549...46e16a95iEkQuT
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in